The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 AM

Default Cites permits for rosewood

If a rosewood guitar (non brazilian rosewood) is imported into the usa, will the sender need to get a cites export permit out of his country and a corresponding import permit into the USA? Or is an export permit sufficient?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 AM

You will get a lot of opinions on your question.
I have not seen anything official about it though.

Here is a statement from Taylor Guitar about how this will affect the guitar market.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/cites

Last edited by L20A; 03-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 PM

If it's a country we have a normal trading relationship it's only one form.

Fee should be about $100 US. Ed Bond (Tinker/Halcyon) will have a definitive answer about Canada to US. I understand it only takes most of a day to fill out the paperwork.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Cites permits for rosewood

I’m currently in the middle of the application. The annoyance I’m having is that the form seems to require submission of customs paperwork documenting how the rosewood entered the US prior to my purchase. This is a guitar that was manufactured and purchased prior to EIR being listed in CITES. I’ve been playing phone tag with a Fish and Wildlife rep trying to get clarity on what I actually need to submit. The manufacturer has not responded to my email yet. So far, a little frustrating, just to take a guitar abroad to play while traveling.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Keep calling the CITES office at Fish and Wildlife in DOI. They are going to be the only ones who can give you a fully authoritative answer. You mentioned that it was not Brazilian which would be a serious problem. You did not mention if it was Madagascar rosewood which could also be a serious problem.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 03-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the tips. It sure sounds like a royal headache given that even the officials aren't sure of whats what.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 PM

6 months ago I bought an old fretless Fender bass with rosewood fingerboard in the US. I took it across the border to Canada, paid some tax and nobody had a concern. No questions about wood.

One year ago bought a high end Alembic bass with exotic wood in the US, again brought it across the border and nobody (Canada customs) cared. They get their tax money and could not bother to even look at the guitars.
various basses and uprights
Old 03-19-2018, 09:21 PM

It may vary country to country, I don't know.

From CA to USA, only a CA export permit is required.

So far, for me, it hasn't been a big deal, other than the PITA of having to drive out to the airport and bounce around the ques at both FedEx and CBSA for a jolly afternoon of waiting in line.

If you want to know about CA to USA I can tell you more, if from another country I know nought.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
It may vary country to country, I don't know.

From CA to USA, only a CA export permit is required.

So far, for me, it hasn't been a big deal, other than the PITA of having to drive out to the airport and bounce around the ques at both FedEx and CBSA for a jolly afternoon of waiting in line.

If you want to know about CA to USA I can tell you more, if from another country I know nought.
Thanks for the info
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 PM

Word.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, if it is about CA to USA. I've done it a bunch.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 PM

Don't say nothing about Madagascar please. I have on order a custom Martin with Madi that has to come to Canada. I don't want any issues.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 AM

Madagascar will indeed require an export permit.

Unless you want to get it shipped to a drop location in the US, then cross and bring it back as your personal property which would be allowable. You should definitely talk to Martin about that.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Word.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions, if it is about CA to USA. I've done it a bunch.
what about a seventies canadian made guitar with indian rosewood back and sides? do i need cites paper work to ship it to the usa, and what kind of paperwork. being made in 1975 , that shows it was cuts before that, does that avoid the cites requirements
Old 03-23-2018, 03:58 AM

If it was a sale, it would be a commercial shipment, and therefore would require an export permit.

With some standard of proof of the guitars age, showing it to be pre-convention, I would expect you'd be able to get a permit for it easily enough. What that standard of proof might be I don't know. Best bet is to contact Environment Canada, who handles the issuing of permits...
Old 03-23-2018, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

What about a Seagull guitar with rosewood saddle and fretboard? I'm hoping to ship this guitar to Nassau Bahamas for personal use on vacation. Would there be any problem with that guitar?

Last edited by lowrider; 03-23-2018 at 05:06 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion