The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 PM

Default Road tripping with my GS mini...think I’ll be ok?

This summer I’m planning to do a weeklong road trip with my GS mini. I will be driving around the mountains of Colorado. I’m thinking that it doesn’t really get that hot in the mountains and I have a hard shell case and will keep humidpaks in the guitar.

Think I’ll be ok? Or am I asking for trouble?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:16 PM

My Mini just spent a week with me up in the Smoky Mountains. Of course it stayed in the cabin most of the time but I did sit out on the balcony in the morning and played it several times in some cool temps and it did fine and doesn’t seem to have any issues now that I’m back home.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Default gs

If it is in the car for an extended period, I would be concerned.
The GS is, after all, a wooden instrument.
IMHO
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

I leave mine in the RV whenever I travel. I've had no problems.

Just a guess but I would think that the Mini's gig bag would offer better insulation than a case. You might also wrap it in a blanket, crack a couple of windows just a little, use a sun screen for the windshield and be careful about where you park.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:00 PM

If it is in the car for an extended period, I would wrap it in a sleeping bag to minimize thermal changes, specifically heat build-up. But I keep a sleeping bag in my car or truck most of the time anyway. If you are worried about losing humidity through the zipper of the gig bag, then a large trash bag will enclose the whole deal and keep the moisture inside.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

That’s what the GSM is made to do.

Mine has survived CO winter trips (last week super dry) and Austin summers in the trunk. It does now need a set up, but it’s been a trooper for 4 years.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-18-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
If it is in the car for an extended period, I would be concerned.

The GS is, after all, a wooden instrument.

IMHO

I’m listening this is what I came here for - but why? Is it really going to get hot enough? I lived in the mountains for a year people regularly build their houses with no AC.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If it is in the car for an extended period, I would wrap it in a sleeping bag to minimize thermal changes, specifically heat build-up. But I keep a sleeping bag in my car or truck most of the time anyway. If you are worried about losing humidity through the zipper of the gig bag, then a large trash bag will enclose the whole deal and keep the moisture inside.

What do you consider an extended period?

Also good call from the above poster for a sun shade for my car
Old 03-19-2018, 07:31 AM

I have taken my GS Mini HV on several CO roadtrips/camping trips. The temp (cold nights and warm days in my case), dryness and altitude changes resulted in a nice 4 inch crack. Seems stable so I am not too worried about repairing it. I love that guitar and have continued traveling with it. Just know that there is definitely risk.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruton View Post

Also good call from the above poster for a sun shade for my car
I don't have any exact numbers on what the poster would consider 'extended' but would point out that a car, closed up tight, in a bright sunny spot will heat up quickly. I found this quote pretty easily: "At 70 degrees on a sunny day, after a half hour, the temperature inside a car is 104 degrees. After an hour, it can reach 113 degrees. When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172.”

A window cracked open a little will help, guitar wrapped up in a sleeping bag will help. Just take some reasonable precautions and enjoy what the mini is made to do: travel.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruton View Post
Anything more than about 4-6 hours, IMO. The heat will build up inside the vehicle cabin and then soak into the guitar - eventually - even through the thickest of insulation. The time could be extended by mitigating actions - park in the shade, leave a couple of windows cracked to let out the hottest air, use windshield sunshades, place the whole package in the shaded trunk, etc. If you have to park in direct sunlight and must leave the windows fully up, I would reduce the time to about two hours, just to be on the safe side.

The laminated back and sides are pretty robust, but GS Mini still has a solid spruce top. That is what will crack or show distress first with low humidity. Heat is the enemy of glue joints, and softens at ~140°F, a temperature which is easily reached in a sun exposed car interior.

As H2O said, if you are not too concerned if top cracks appear, then go for it and don't worry. You might get lucky..... I'm just saying what I would do (and have done).
Old 03-19-2018, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone...now I’m kind of thinking maybe I should get a $100 Yamaha off of Craigslist and take that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion