The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Bresnan GS, 2006 Brazilian and Adirondack. My first handbuilt, built by Dan Bresnan

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-18-2018, 01:34 PM

All of my acoustic trades have been trading up (at least for my needs), so I don't regret any of those. But I had a Gibson 175 in the 70's that I never should have traded. It's an electric guitar, but with almost an acoustic body: 16" wide and 3" deep.

I often think of that guitar and mentally kick myself.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-18-2018, 03:29 PM

In no particular order:

Martin OMC-15E
(although I'm VERY happy with the J-100 XTRA I got in trade)

1984 Fender American Standard Stratocaster

Tacoma DM9
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM

I have sold a Guild D55, a Martin CS-00028, and a Martin OOOMMV. No regrets here.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:36 PM

None. They were all goners in my mind when they flew the coop.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:45 PM

I have bought, sold and traded more guitars than a person ought to. I really only have 2 that I regret letting go.

1. A 1980 Guild D-40. I traded it to a friend about 1992 or 93 for an Ovation. Ridiculous move on my part. The Ovation was gone within a year. My friend still has the Guild.

2. A Martin 00-16DBM. It was a deep body, mahogany 00 which was part of the “Women and Music” series. Just an outstanding guitar in both tone and playability. I sold it to buy another guitar, which alas, I no longer own.

If I had to pick a 3rd guitar, it would be my first 12 string from the early ‘70s. It was a small body Harmony with a slot head. In reality it wasn’t worth much but I liked it. I ran across a picture of it recently. Nostalgia set in and I wish I had hung on to it.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I've sold off a Lakewood M-32, a Huss & Dalton CM, a nice J-45, a sublime (but beat up) AJ, and a handful of others I can't recall at the moment. I'm generally okay with having moved on from the ones I did, as I had my reason for each at the time. The one and only that I wish I hadn't of let go was a '97 Gibson Chet Atkins SST.

I bought it shortly after my father passed and it got me through some tough spots, though I never really used it to it's full potential (e.g., rarely plugged in). And honestly, it was quacky plugged in and didn't sound all that great, tone wise. But I loved that guitar. Sold it when money was a bit tight to a nice fellow on the forum, but wish I had it back.

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 03-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Birds eye Brazilian Rosewood and Adirondack kim walker SJ. Sellers remorse over selling that guitar fuelled my guitar search for most of the years that have followed that sale.
Gitarro, I feel for you man. I have 2 of Kim's guitars and I couldn't imagine parting with either as they are definitely the holy grail of flattops.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Larrivee d50,Guild d50, Martin d35
all sold due to GAS
what a dummy I was
Dave
All I can say is, wow!
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM

The thread asks for three, and coincidentally I have just that- exactly three.

1) a Hamer hollowbody electric that my mom gave me for my birthday one year in my 20s. I don't know much about Hamer, but a friend helped her pick it out, and even though i don't even know what model it was... it was red and it sounded and played *amazing*. sold for probably much less than it was worth, and don't even remember why. Young & Stupid.

2) the Epiphone which defied all logic. I've played countless Epi's since and this thing was the stuff legends are made of. People really aren't lying when they say that a company/brand sometimes might make you search for a gem, but when you find it... Wow*. PR350SM with the satin/natural finish. Solid hog body, sitka top, pretty simple and understated.. but the arcehtypal definition of a sub-$1000 guitar that played like 4x that. won several A/B's with friends' dads' Martins et. al. This is the weird one that sticks with me, the only one I've ever considered trying to replace or get back. Even though I know that 9/10 of the same model I were to come across (like that one with the crack).... wouldn't sound the same anyway.

3) candy apple red American Standard(?) Strat, my first electric, given to me by my parents. a gift I received in probably.. 97? 99? Not sure, sadly that time is blurrier than it should be, but I think it was an anniversary model for Fender. It was pretty much their gift to me for Christmas since they saw that I actually stuck with it and loved guitar (I'd been taking lessons on a no-name classical beater for years). This is the one that hurts the most.

BUT. you live and you learn. I wish I had known the sentimental value of certain things when I was younger. I would have avoided some painful mistakes. But, that being said, I'm thankful because it made me (in part) the man I am today. Won't happen again, at least not without good reason or because of a blind impulse.

Great thread. Enjoy reading about the ones that got away. Some of those lists I've seen definitely made me wince a bit.

Cheers
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-18-2018, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Would be fun to be able to answer this question, but I truly can not.

I decided to turn "pro" when I was 16, in 1968, and have followed that path, ever since. When I began, I had one acoustic guitar, my trusty 1967 Guild D-40... unfortunately, that guitar was stolen from me in Ocean Beach, Ca., when I was living in the San Diego area, playing in a duo with a buddy...

I managed to borrow/scrape up the dough for a Martin D-35; a used, but pristine, 1972 Martin. Turned out to be a nightmare to try to amplify on stage (w/ 70's tech), and I sold it off to fund my first hand build, my Mark Angus F-40 (built for me in 1979). Still have that Angus and it is my "go-to" stage guitar currently.

In 1969, I stumbled across an early 60's Gretsch, a big orange dude, at a local flea market/swap meet... paid $35 for it, without a case! In hindsight, I can't believe I didn't realize the thing must have been as hot as a $2 pistol... such is the folly of youth.

The Gretsch and I never really bonded, much as I wanted... it took a dive off a stage in Yuma, Az., in 1975, and snapped the headstock off at the top of the neck... sold that one for $125.

Don't miss that Martin, not one bit! That D-35 "cured me" of owning dreadnought guitars; for my style and preferences, a more curvy, "Auditorium" shape is much more pleasing... even though I played the living poop out of that Martin through 8 states and wrote a BUNCH of great songs on it, I never did like it all that much... my first "head's up" about the folly of falling in love with the name on the headstock.

The Gretsch? Well, it was pretty messed up, and I never did fully bond with it - I wasn't much of an electric player, back then. The fellow I sold it to had the headstock/neck repaired, and it played and sounded great in his hands... he was happy and so was I (having replaced the Gretsch with a '74 Gibson ES-345)... so, no regrets whatsoever on that one.

Someone gave me a Big Baby Taylor to use as a camping/beach guitar, but it always just felt like a toy to me, so I sold it to a friend of a friend for $150. I didn't use it, so I was happy - and the guy was thrilled... so, no regrets there, either.

Nope, never have sold a guitar and regretted it... hang with me, though - I've come close to selling both my Gibson ES-175 (1975) and my Mark Angus F-40 (1979) in the past couple years, so I may still part with an instrument that I might wish I hadn't...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM

The one I regret selling the most was a 1929 Martin OM28 prototype. It was an amazing guitar that I sold for three times what I paid for it. I asked the buyer (a reputable dealer/collector) if I could have first refusal if he ever decided to sell. He reached out to me but the price was in nosebleed territory and I had to pass.

The other was a 60's vintage Gretsch Tennessean Chet Atkins that I lent to a friend back in the 1970's. When I asked for it back a few months later, he told me he had sold it. I was (and am still) stunned but there wasn't much I could do about it. It was my first decent electric guitar and I played a lot of gigs on it.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I've been through a lot of great guitars and can honestly say that I have zero regrets about my decisions. BUT, for the sake of this post, if I could have any three back they'd be (in no particular order)...
  • My first Mule resonator (a brass single cone & Matt's 39th guitar)
  • Kopp RS (Roy Smeck) 12-fret SJ
  • tie between a 1921 Martin 0-21 & a 1943 Gibson banner LG-2 (I'd have to flip a coin)

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-19-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

For me it'd be a 1972 Fender Telecaster with a rosewood fret board and a tweed Fender champ amp.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-19-2018, 09:27 AM

1952 Les Paul Gold Top
1959 Les Paul TV Special
1962 ES 335 with PAFs

Kathy Wingert Koa/Adirondack E
John Kinnaird Cuban Mahogany/ Western Red Cedar L00
Nick Kukich/Franklin Brazilian/German Spruce OM 28

There are more, but I am starting to cry...again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion