The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Name three guitars you wish you'd never sold/trade/

... and why. Pics would be kewl.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Off the top of my list is a SCGC D-12. I'm sure there are others but this one actually haunts me. I foolishly let it go a while back. Don't know what I was thinking...obviously I wasn't?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 PM

Like the tattoo says, 'No regerts'

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-17-2018, 06:49 PM

I’ve been playing almost 45 years. During the first 37 I only had one, maybe two, at a time and really only 5 acoustics. Since discovering this forum, well things have changed.

To answer the question:
I’d love to have my $195 Guild D 25 I bought in 1974. Long gone.
Sold a 1968 Martin D12-35 about 25 years ago. It was a total beater but the sound? Amazing!
A 1978 Gurian Jumbo Rosewood I sold about 25 years ago. Oh, wait! I bought that one back last year!!!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Musical minimalist

Really only two - a 2007 Webber Roundbody custom I had David build for me. Incredible Claro back, Engelmann top, florentine cut, 1 13/16 nut and full ab top. Sold it 4 times and bought it back 3.

Next a 2005 custom Larrivee OM-05 that Matthew and Jean built for me. 1 7/8 nut and full ab top. As much as the guitar was the fun we had with the build. Such a nice experience I wish I hadn't sold it.

Oops - I have to make an edit. I wasn't thinking electrics (because I haven't owned one for more than a couple weeks since '82. That's when I sold my American made B.C. Rich Mockingbird rock maple for about 1/5 of what it's worth now!

Last edited by fitness1; 03-18-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Back in the early 90s, before I was educated in the finer details of acoustic guitar nuances, I had a Martin D-35 12 string - inherited. The action was incredibly high and I was told the truss rod is broken. Thinking the guitar was trash I wound up seeling it for around $700.
If I only knew then what I know now....
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM

I only have one. I sent back a cobalt blue Custom Shop Stratocaster because it was more purple than the pictures showed. That was the best sounding electric guitar I ever heard. Live and learn.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

I would like to have my Jake Robinson Slope D 12 fret, my Martin 000-18 GE and my Taylor 12 fret cedar over hog back. If the funds were available I would pursue the reacquisition.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy what I have and patiently wait for my Robinson GA build to be completed.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-17-2018, 07:15 PM

I used to buy and sell guitars pretty regularly when I was younger. Now I wish I’d just been patient, kept what I had and saved up. instead of constantly trading or looking for the next new thing. Any guitar you’ve had a real love for will always be useful, even if it’s not your favorite of the moment. One day you’ll open the case and be glad it’s there... provided you don’t have 12 other guitars sitting there not getting played.

The guitar I wish I’d kept the most was a very resonant Norlin era Es-335 that was my number one guitar for years.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:23 PM

Birds eye Brazilian Rosewood and Adirondack kim walker SJ. Sellers remorse over selling that guitar fuelled my guitar search for most of the years that have followed that sale.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Only 3?

Here ya go - these aren't my pics - but they're the same models / colors / types.

Ovation Country Artist. Ovations aren't rare or even great guitars, but this one played well both unplugged and on stage. Until Godin came out with their Multiac nylon, it was the stage nylon-string guitar.

Fender MIJ '57 Strat Re-Issue. Bought it for $250, sold it for $500, would pay a lot more than that to get it back.

Huss and Dalton TD-R. Killer guitar. I didn't like the fact that the nitro finish got sticky in the heat - according to H&D, it was a flaw in the curing....and could have been fixed for about $300 to strip / re-do the lacquer. Traded it straight up for a Taylor W10. Today, the Taylor is worth about $2000. The H&D? A lot more than that. At the time, my playing ability couldn't do it justice. I'm better 18 years later.....but still don't know if I deserve a guitar like this one.

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-17-2018, 07:55 PM

My first FG700S. Setup was perfect, guitar was flawless and sounded terrific. Needed cash. Made a few dollars off it.

Fender Telecaster Modern Player Plus in trans black. Got it for a hair over $300 new, very versatile guitar. Traded for a very beat up Yamaha Weddington that plays like a gem and sounds so good after going through literally everything but the pickups.

LL16M A.R.E. The best acoustic sounding guitar on the planet. I play direct into a pa more often than not, and the Zero Impact Pickup didn't impress me by itself. Through an amp or my pedal board it sounded good plugged in. I sold it to an up and coming guitarist who cherishes it as much as I did.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

I can honestly say, with all my heart, I regret nothing. Everything I’ve sold to date had a reason, some were neck profile related, others tone related, and others I simply outgrew or were bested in an A/B with something else.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 03-17-2018, 08:12 PM

There was a Lowden S10 from Shoreline in 02 or 03.

Otherwise, plenty that would be nice to revisit for a minute, but none that move the meter such that the decision would be immediately obvious.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

The first Collings I ever owned, a straight-up D2H with a 1 3/4" nut. Not sure after years and years that I've ever done significantly better. Wish I would have just kept that one.

That's about it. I could add a D1A that was crazy good and an SJSB that felt just right too, but that first D2H would have been enough.

Funny I don't have any Collings now. I wonder what I would think of that D2H if I had to next to me now. Maybe I'm romanticizing it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion