The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Played a J-45 for the first time last night

Newer player, obviously. Always was more focused on Martin and Taylor, no idea why. Gibson just seems to get hammered here and elsewhere for QC issues and general inconsistency. My guitar teacher plays a Gibson, and told me not to consider them for that reason.

Been considering something smaller, primarily for finger style. I like my Eastman GA, but miss the short scale on my Yamaha when I play it. (String spacing in the Yamaha is really rough; I think a hair under 2 at the saddle).

Anyway, was messing around at GC, and picked up the J-45. Hit everythingI played on it. I don’t think I muffed a note. Felt great and sounded lovely, although it feels big (never owned a dread).

Oh man. Why did I go to the store? I didn’t NEED anything . . .

Figured folks here would sympathize with that GASsy feeing.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:21 AM

Welcome to the dark side...
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 03-17-2018, 08:25 AM

I have owned quite a few Gibson acoustics over the last 30 years.

NEVER had a single QC issue.

Now that I am retired and have thinned the herd, my last remaining Gibson is a J185 that is willed to my oldest son.

Lotta folks are biased towards many brands. Trust your own ears and hands.

Have fun.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:42 AM

I agree.
Trust your own judgement. Gibson has had issues, more than most, but it doesn't mean there aren't great ones to be had.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

A nice sounding and feeling J-45 can be a lifetime guitar.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 AM

My J45 has a beautiful tone and is extremely easy to play. As far as QC, whoever did the glue job on the bridge was either drunk or just really likes glue. It oozed out the sides and dried.

One other problem is I have a D18. It gets more play time.

scott
Old 03-17-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
As far as QC, whoever did the glue job on the bridge was either drunk or just really likes glue. It oozed out the sides and dried.
I recently met an accomplished singer/songwriter named Ted Wulfers. He's making a documentary on the history of the J-45. One tidbit he mentioned was that the Obamas would gift guitar-playing dignitaries with J-45's. I bet the glue was very tidy on those.

Couch Standards
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I've played many J45's, and wouldn't buy most of them. However, I've played a few that were fantastic! They're definitely out there!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I recently met an accomplished singer/songwriter named Ted Wulfers. He's making a documentary on the history of the J-45. One tidbit he mentioned was that the Obamas would gift guitar-playing dignitaries with J-45's. I bet the glue was very tidy on those.
I'll bet you're right.
scott

Last edited by cigarfan; 03-17-2018 at 10:29 AM. Reason: political
Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
Newer player, obviously. Always was more focused on Martin and Taylor, no idea why. Gibson just seems to get hammered here and elsewhere for QC issues and general inconsistency. My guitar teacher plays a Gibson, and told me not to consider them for that reason.

Been considering something smaller, primarily for finger style. I like my Eastman GA, but miss the short scale on my Yamaha when I play it. (String spacing in the Yamaha is really rough; I think a hair under 2 at the saddle).

Anyway, was messing around at GC, and picked up the J-45. Hit everythingI played on it. I don’t think I muffed a note. Felt great and sounded lovely, although it feels big (never owned a dread).

Oh man. Why did I go to the store? I didn’t NEED anything . . .

Figured folks here would sympathize with that GASsy feeing.
Better get the budget in order! Once the J-45 bug gets hold of you it tends to start on obsession that leads to eventual acquisition.

While no guitar can do it all, in my opinion a good J-45 is as close as you can get. It's sort of a Swiss army knife. Maybe not as good for flat-picking as a D28 or D18, but it can hold it's own. Not as good for finger style play as 000 or OM, but I prefer it to a Martin dread for finger style. It's a compromise that hits a sweet spot and when you need a good strummer for vocal accompaniment the J-45 is a hard guitar to beat. Especially true if you're a male singer with a baritone range. It seems to stay just a little bit further out of the way and can help an average vocalist come through a bit clearer.

Whatever you do, don't check out the "J-45 Song of the day" Youtube playlist in my signature! It may be a bit much, like taking an alcoholic who's taken his first drink to the liquor store!

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 AM

You obviously have severe mental problems. I mean going to a music store when you didn't need anything. What were you thinking?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:03 AM

It's more fun when the underdog wins.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
You obviously have severe mental problems. I mean going to a music store when you didn't need anything. What were you thinking?

This seems right.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Playing acoustic guitar without a J-45 in the collection is just not right. I like my more expensive guitars a lot (Collings, H&D and Dave King) but i think my favourite guitar is my J-45 Banner reissue. Like a fellow poster said its a jack of all trades guitar that handles everything you throw at it. I love fingerpicking and playing blues on my J-45, it has a deep bass and growl with notes decaying at just the right time. It takes a pick really well and doesn't break up when hit hard (adi top helps of course). These guitars also strum (and backstrum) really well due to a fully developed mid-range. They are not the most responsive or sophisticated guitars tonally but instead have a warm, dry hollow tone that is just so much fun and very addictive... you really should get one.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-17-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Hope he does better research than that. If he is talking about the Gibson gifted to the First Lady of France. somewhere I have a French magazine article somebody gave me and if I recall the guitar pictured with its presentation case was a Hummingbird. Then again, I would place this in the "who cares" file.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion