The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 10:42 PM

Location: Brevard, North Carolina (but Maine will always be home)
Default Overdue NGD....

https://i.imgur.com/mlHPvdub.jpg

You know, sometimes fate plays out in the strangest and most effective ways.

I came here to learn how to adjust the truss rod in my old, neglected Yamaha FG-420. I got the info, successfully did the adjustment, and engaged in a few conversations that lead to some life changing PM's. First, rockdog seeing that I lusted for a Martin D-15, put me in touch with Guildman - who wasn't actively advertising, but had one he was willing to part with (Thanks RD !!).

Guildman and I struck up a deal for his 2009 Martin D-15, and on faith, we did it...at $800 I feel pretty darn good about the whole thing. The guitar is "mint" as far as I'm concerned.
While I waited for delivery I looked around, got an unexpected education here, and tripped over a post by Mattd... who makes rustic style guitar stands. Wow. If you haven't already seen them, you should.
Between these two, my income tax return got reduced to zero in record time - and for the first time in longer than I can recall, I spent it on myself.
Sooo... the guitar exceeds ALL expectations. I received it on Feb. 2, Groundhog Day, and he'd sent it with newish Pearse strings. I played it for two weeks - fell deeply in love with it, and today did a small alteration. It got restrung today with Martin phosphor bronze mediums, ebony pins replaced whatever was on it (just for looks), and I traced out a bone saddle to sand down and put it later (the guitar didn't need any of this...just me personalizing).
Right now, I'm amazed all over again. The sound, range, and action are all more than I could ever have hoped for...Thanks guildman, I really needed this. Oh, the guitar is 100% beautiful too....almost left that out,
The stand is just the coolest thing I've seen too. I had a Zephyr in my amazon shopping cart; but immediately dumped it in favor of mattd's handcrafted stand. I'm in a safe environment, but even if I wasn't, I'm convinced that the stand is as secure as it is beautiful. I wish I could post pics, but I'm having unforseen tech issues on that score.
All in all, I'm a VERY happy camper, now GAS immune too....lol.
Let me add a quick Thanks to rampix who sent me a secret ingredient as well.
Thanks too all... and that includes this whole community (who made this possible.

Michael

Last edited by Calcifer; 02-19-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 PM

Congrats on a fine guitar!! I'm glad you like the stand and I bet that hog Martin looks great on it!!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 PM

Live and learn..... I just got educated on something I didn't know about....

Like I mentioned, I put ebony pins on the guitar shortly after I received it (just because I like the look), and played it with the strings that the seller had on it..... I suspect they were JP lights, and played it that way for about 2 weeks. I loved it.
Then I put a set of Martin M550's (medium phosphor/bronze) on it and it came even More alive: it sings and rings... next experiment will be the Retro Medium Monels....
.....but this isn't what surprised me.
I'd bought a bone saddle to replace what I'm guessing was a standard tusq one. I got it filed down with a dremel to where it was a perfect copy; and amazingly, the guitar went dead. After 2 days, I pulled the saddle off and was going to put the original one back on - this is when I noticed that what I took to be "chips" in the original were actually tooled indentations under the strings.
With nothing to lose, I took the dremel to the bone saddle again and to the best of my ability duplicated the contours of the original saddle.
Wow. Right back to life.
I'm guessing that this is an intonation thing (yep, I was iggerant of that), and that I must have done an exceptional job filing....
Anyway, I'm very, very happy with the results - I can hardly wait to check out the Retro strings.... :-).
Michael
Old 03-18-2018, 09:48 PM

So, there are very small grooves or something under the strings on the saddle ? That is unexpected on an acoustic guitar.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM

Um, no. The original saddle was of uniform thickness at its base, but up where the strings make contact, there were variations in the thickness. A good close look convinced me that it was an alteration that someone painstakingly "tooled in"... so I just followed suit with the bone saddle.
It made a remarkable difference.
Michael
Old 03-19-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Lol - congrats on the new guitar. You are about to learn a the harsh lesson of acoustic guitar forum that most of us did.

I, too, came here with a simple question about my acoustic guitar. Five years and some 30 guitars later I'm still here! I'm much more knowledgeable about all things guitars and amps and I'm significantly poorer, but much happier!

Welcome to the madness.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Hey Michael, glad you got your Martin, and it looks like a real nice one. Guess you're ready to "Shake, Rattle and Roll"...or is it shake, rattle, and rocknroll?

That stand that mattd made looks very nice. I wish I could use a stand like that, but not with a couple of bird dogs running around the house.

Enjoy your guitar and the GAS relief...for now
Old 03-19-2018, 07:47 AM

awesome story! so glad it worked out for you, man, that's cool.

On a separate note, I just sent a PM about the guitar stand. would love to see pics of one, as I'm hating the cheap one I have, and haven't found a suitable replacement. not trying to hijack your thread, but it definitely caught my interest. thanks for sharing your story!

SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Congrats! I've been lusting about a D-15 for some time - there's just something about that instrument that speaks to me. Unfortunately, I have an agreement with She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed that if a new guitar comes into the house, an old one has to go - I'm not sure I have one I want to loose.

Maybe I need to put together a less desirable guitar I've been repairing and let that be the sacrificial lamb . . . .

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion