The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Default One of those days? Bad string change leads to new find

I was having a bad day so I decided to relax and change strings on 2 of my acoustics last night. The plan was to try Elixir 80/20s on my Martin 000-28EC and replace them on my Taylor Custom GA.

The Martin went first and I struggled mightily. My mind was not focused and it took a couple tries on each string to get the lengths right. Normally, I can change strings/clean neck in about 15-20 minutes. Not tonight.

As frustration was setting in, I started on my Taylor. After 3 tries on the low E, the 4th turned fatal as the wound string unraveled and snapped. I've never broken a string other than a B on a 12 string. At a loss, I trudged on to finish and would come back to the low E. A string was not much better but on. The D string followed the E strings fate and snapped on the 2nd attempt. By this time, I'm totally frustrated. This was to help me relax and enjoy practicing on new strings and instead... I felt like an incompetent idiot. And I just blew $15.

I went to my string drawer and found a set of D'Addario EJ11s. These were a throw in on a used guitar I purchased last year. I thought "what the hell! I'll give these a try". These went on without a hitch and when I was done, gave the guitar a few strums.

WOW...WOW...WOW! The Taylor is cedar over rosewood and the sound was just fantastic. I've tried EJ 16s and did not like them at all. These however are the real deal! My frustration was replaced with a huge smile as I practiced for a couple hours. I am extremely happy with this find.

Ever find a set by accident?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Glad you found the magic combo on your Taylor...even if you got there the hard way
Old 03-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

That, my friend, is called serendipity! Enjoy!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Glad you found the magic combo on your Taylor...even if you got there the hard way
Magic is a good word. I played about an hour this afternoon and still can't believe how good it sounds. Worth the $15 loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser View Post
That, my friend, is called serendipity! Enjoy!
No kidding! The perfect example of bad luck or good luck...it's all in the perspective
Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Magic is a good word. I played about an hour this afternoon and still can't believe how good it sounds. Worth the $15 loss.

No kidding! The perfect example of bad luck or good luck...it's all in the perspective
Great story. Glad you're loving the EJ11s!

I got a new Martin 0001XAE (floor model) from Guitar Center, and although the bass sounded fantastic, the highs were getting lost and thin-sounding. I threw on some D'Addario EJ16 lights (yes, the ones you didn't like hehe) and WOW what a difference. The guitar sounds amazing now, and the highs are present enough where I can clearly hear the difference between a C and CMaj7 as well as Dm. Huge difference, but this is why these are my preferred strings. They're uncoated phosphor bronze strings in .012 gauge, so they're a little tough on the fingers but I just love the sound.

Anyway, looks like we both had some good luck with strings today. One of my strings did release tension suddenly but thankfully it didn't break. Gave me quite a start though.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 AM

I'm a recent convert to 80/20 as well.

Put Martin M140 lights to my 2004 Seagull M6 Gloss (sitka spruce top, lam mahogany b&s) for the first time.
These are ideal strings for this guitar, I just love them. No muddy bass anymore, everything is clear. Before I used Martin Retro and different PB strings on it.

I will try 80/20 on my 000-15M next time it needs a string change.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Serenity now!! 😎
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 AM

I always use 80/20s (Martin Lifespan), but I'd still show some concern on how/why you can bust strings when putting new ones on. Never done that in over 45 years of changing strings.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Glad you had a happy outcome!

Just thought - do you trim strings to length before you tune them to pitch? If so, that might be the reason for the winding to come loose. I've also stretched the winding a bit when doing that which causes the string to loose some of its brightness. I did that a lot in my youth . . . .

Now I tune up to pitch and then cut the strings to length and have less problems.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I always use 80/20s (Martin Lifespan), but I'd still show some concern on how/why you can bust strings when putting new ones on. Never done that in over 45 years of changing strings.
I wish I knew how, too! Never had that happen before either (except on 12 stringer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCawber View Post
Glad you had a happy outcome!

Just thought - do you trim strings to length before you tune them to pitch?
No. I trim them after tuning. Maybe it was just a bad string I was having such a bad day that I really don't know what happened. I certainly jumped though when it snapped
Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 PM

It's gotta be something else causing the strings to come undone.. I use all the same strings mentioned and I always cut my strings before I start winding and never have any trouble.

Both Taylor and Martin have great videos showing how they cut strings to length before winding... they both advocate the same method and it works great. Easy and gets the correct # of winds on the post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion