The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 PM

Default Zero Glide Nut on Journey OF660

I installed the Zero Glide Slotted ZS-14 on the Journey OF660, and wanted to share my experience. First of all, the nut on my of660 was cut perfectly, nice and low and no buzz. However, I have installed zero glide nuts on 2 other guitars and loved the results, so figured I'd give it a shot. The good thing about zero glide nuts, is that it's just a nut with a fret on it, so you can always switch back to the original nut, if you don't like it.

Install:
OF660 has a plastic string holder right above the nut, when taking that off, there was a part on mine that was glued to the CF. I was able to get it out, but tore a bit of the plastic in the process. The stock nut was removed with a slight tap away from the fretboard, not sideways like in some guitars. There are lots of videos on youtube on how to install zero glide nuts, but basically you sand it down the height (from bottom) until the fret sits flush with the fretboard, try one of 4 fret wires that comes with it, then sand the sides to fit. I found OF660 needed the biggest fret wire to get buzz free. The Zs-14 had correct string spacing, and width. It takes a little time, just as installing any nut or saddle, you don't want to sand too much off. Gluing it on required more glue than I was used to for wood guitars... which explains why that plastic string holder was glued to the CF, I believe they used quite a bit of CA glue to install the nut, and some had gotten onto the plastic holder. In any case, it seems to be holding fine, after a couple of attempts.

Intonation/Sound:
Zero glide & zero fret should get better intonation than a nut that is too high, but since my of660 had perfect nut height, had great intonation, there was no benefit there. The tone.... well all I can say is that I'd used the word "crisp". I know it's only the open strings that are effected, but it makes everything sound crisper to me.... but I'm guessing that I'm just looking to hear what I wanted to hear. Not sure if I wouldn't pass a blind test, but the tone difference I perceived was noticeable, and I like it better. There may be a slight increase in sustain and volume, but again, I don't know if it's just in my head. Sorry, I did not do an A/B recording.

Playability:
This is why I am posting about this. Now having zero glide on 3 guitars, they all had the same results, the playability improvment was very noticeable. Even compare to properly cut nuts that are to spec, zero glide just made it easier to play up near the nut, where I spend most of my time. I'd compare to the feel to going down from Light strings to Extra Light strings, it just made it easier to play, and I need all the help that I can get

There is a lengthy post about zero frets: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=365940 and also you can read the reviews on amazon about zero glide nuts. I'd recommend zero glide nuts on any guitar, I wasn't sure how it would work on a CF guitar. But I am happy to report it works great, made my love my of660 even more. It's was a joy to play before, now it's just buttery.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:38 PM

Nice review - thanks for sharing. The comparison of light and extra light strings was a particularly effective way to communicate the change.
And welcome!
Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 PM

Cool stuff thanks. Well written and what Earl stated.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

Crab;

I like your sense of initiative. And I appreciate your bringing us the narrative.

I like zero frets. They used to be used on cheaper guitars because, in some ways, they were easier and more accurate than nuts. I used zero frets on some of the guitars I've made and never felt disappointed.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 PM

thanks for the review, I may have to try one of these!
Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG View Post
thanks for the review, I may have to try one of these!
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I just changed strings on my OF660 and the nut just fell off in my hands! I guess mine had less glue than yours? What glue did you use to put on the new nut?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I just changed strings on my OF660 and the nut just fell off in my hands! I guess mine had less glue than yours? What glue did you use to put on the new nut?
Mine fell off too when no tension.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Guest 928

I do not like glued nuts--let my people free! There is no reason for them to be glued and a lot of reasons for them to be available for change. What do you think about that Kramster?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I What do you think about that Kramster?
If I was here responding I'd say yes... but I am off doing a photo shoot and more video recording of a couple guitars.. sorry I cant help right now.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 View Post
What glue did you use to put on the new nut?
I used Gorilla Super Glue, which I believe is a Cyanoacrylate (CA) glue, and sort of in between liquid and gel. I don’t actually like this particular glue, seem to not glue as well as other CA that I’ve used before, but is what I had around.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I do not like glued nuts--let my people free! There is no reason for them to be glued and a lot of reasons for them to be available for change. What do you think about that Kramster?
Since the neck is removable for travel, and the nut doesn’t stay in place without string tension, there may be a risk of loosing it. If you make a point of storing it in one of the pockets when packing for travel, then I guess it’s be ok without gluing
Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Guest 928

You can also use a thin slip of silicon to hold the nut in place--and that is easily removable.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
You can also use a thin slip of silicon to hold the nut in place--and that is easily removable.
You just gave me a "Duh...Why didn't I think of that?" moment EvanB...lol...proof that our forum works Amigo!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 AM

Just me, but I would use silicone the adhesive caulk, rather than silicon like in microchips. One or two 1 mm dots (the size of pin heads) of white glue is usually plenty to hold the nut in place. String tension does the rest. You might need a little more adhesive than normal since the string tension will be removed when folded up for travel.

And remember that we try to avoid silicone in polishes and anything that might touch the finish, because it will make future refinish work difficult or impossible. Future finish work is unlikely on a CF guitar, but still is conceivable.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

I think Earl is right--a few dots of white glue should do the job and it would be easy to remove the nut with a slight tap. Silicone might dampen the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber