The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Zoom users, what is your Zoom placement and specs

I was experimenting tonight and used compression, moved the Zoom to 12 inches from the 12th fret and the recording volume at 4 and 3 (can't decide yet). I'm not using external mics at this point.

What is your placement and setting?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 PM

Hi Barry....don't know which model you're using ( I have H4n), but I vary in terms of distance (with external mics) from 12" to "more" depending on the guitar. With the Doerr, I need to move back a bit as it's a powerful guitar. For settings, I usually watch the little meter on the Zoom to gauge things and look for -12 to -24 (not recording to "hot") as a variable to shoot for which will get boosted later on as much of my stuff is softer fingerstyle. I don't use compression in the recording but do add in via processing in Audacity afterward. For whatever it's worth!! Totally feel my way with this stuff.
Good luck with your experimenting!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Hey, Fred! I use a Zoom Q8, & use Audacity as well. Like you, I don't add anything in the recorder mix, just record flat, & do all else within Audacity. Do you use "Normalization" within Audacity? As for mic placement, I usually use the X or Y pattern at least 12" away, usually more, depending on the song & attack. Neither mic is ever aimed directly at the soundhole.
Steve
Old 03-02-2018, 10:29 PM

Hi Steve! (and Barry!!) No, I haven't used Normalization........for my own mixes in Audacity I boost the gain in Audacity as I'm editing but leave room for compression which takes it up another notch (if I use compression) to get the whole track right to but not beyond the "red line" level. For other processing, I have ADVERB reverb program plug-in and usually there is a setting in there that I like and then fiddle with % of reverb and other factors from that pre-setting in that program.
NOTE: the track below in my signature is pro mixed/mastered from my home recording, so not my own mix. He's a guy on the west coast who is a terrific engineer with great equipment and "ear" who polishes up my tracks for CD or other projects. All the best, Steve!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

I use normalization when I'm recording something in sections. I'll record the sections and then copy and paste the sections into one project, smooth out the joints of the clips, cut out any leading and following dead space and then apply normalization before I split the track into left and right.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:30 AM

This tune is done complete through Zoom H1 with bouzouki.
Position is somewhere around 12 fret, doubling with changing phase and multiband compressor as "mastering".

Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was experimenting tonight and used compression, moved the Zoom to 12 inches from the 12th fret and the recording volume at 4 and 3 (can't decide yet). I'm not using external mics at this point.

What is your placement and setting?
Hi Barry

I'm a minimalist and record all my instrumental-only tracks raw (no effects). I can add effects later, and generally use Amadeus Pro for mixing down (about any mixing software will include everything needed for mixing).

I usually place a Zoom H2n or H4n about 8-12" from the neck/body joint and adjust volume to the player and the piece. In some cases (depending on the desired outcome) I'll use external mics, but have successfully recorded all kinds of acoustic guitars with internal mics.

When I'm recording player/singers, for single take I place the recorder on a tripod and run it like this…aimed between the lips and upper bout (monitored initially with earbuds for mix, and recorded without them). The unit is about 2 feet in front of him. He's reading his chart which is taped to the front leg of the tripod.

Link to the track recorded in the picture (with an original Zoom H4).

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4721269

I tend to run input volume a bit light so nothing exceeds -12. It's quiet enough to boost it later in post production.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD