The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-19-2018, 08:29 PM

So I was thinking of one of these AD10s as a replacement for my Pendulum SPS-1as a live rig, keep the SPS-1 as a stereo mic recording front end. As much as I like the SPS-1 preamp, I have lots of different acoustic instruments and I'm always twiddling tone and gain when switching them. I'd actually been considering patching in a programable EQ in a pedal, like with an Eventide H9, and bypassing the SPS-1 EQ. But then all I'm using the SPS-1 for is blending two gainstages. Bit overkill. And always kinda annoyed the SPS doesn't have a HP filter.

The fact that the AD-10 has 10 presets, a HP filter, a sort-of notch filter, floor box instead of rack, makes it pretty attractive.

All my guitars have K&K Mini + mic. I don't see that the AD-10 has phantom on one channel for condenser mics, which I feel is a bit of an oversight. But it's easy enough to build an inline supply. And mono FX loop. So many delay, chorus, reverb stompboxes are two channel now it seems kind of a given.

They *could* have kept the space saving of just two jacks for loop and allowed the use of typical TRS insert cables for channel A and B loops.

I've read a couple vague "meh" posts on this preamp with the K&K setups. Anyone got any thorough feedback on this with K&K trans/mic setup?
Old 12-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
The fact that the AD-10 has 10 presets, a HP filter, a sort-of notch filter, floor box instead of rack, makes it pretty attractive. ..

All my guitars have K&K Mini + mic. I don't see that the AD-10 has phantom on one channel for condenser mics, which I feel is a bit of an oversight. ..And mono FX loop...
Yes at first it looks attractive. However if you read this thread you will see that several of us thought it was good to start off, bought one then sold it later in frustration:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=490866&page=4

My issues are summarised there so I won't repeat them here but you can add the drawbacks you mention above to the list. Assuming the dual channel EQ actually works on this thing (and *nobody* on this board could verify that it does), its a pain to use so I wouldn't recommend it with a K&K SBT + mic. I have a K&K SBT and the signal/level is fine with the AD10 but the EQ is pretty limited, the mid can be adjusted for range but its not fully parametric. You have better options IMO.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 12-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Yes at first it looks attractive. However if you read this thread you will see that several of us thought it was good to start off, bought one then sold it later in frustration:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=490866&page=4

My issues are summarised there so I won't repeat them here but you can add the drawbacks you mention above to the list. Assuming the dual channel EQ actually works on this thing (and *nobody* on this board could verify that it does), its a pain to use so I wouldn't recommend it with a K&K SBT + mic. I have a K&K SBT and the signal/level is fine with the AD10 but the EQ is pretty limited, the mid can be adjusted for range but its not fully parametric. You have better options IMO.
Ah, yeah. If the dual EQ doesn't store, that's no good.

So what other options are there for dual source floorbox pres that will store EQ profiles?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification