The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Travel guitar advice please

Looks like I'm going to be doing some unexpected cross country travel soon.
My son just graduated college in Northern CA (CAL) and is making his way into the working world. His mom (my ex) is out there now for a few days helping to set him up in his apartment, and I've decided that until he is up and running I'll be visiting Berkeley for a few days every 4 - 6 weeks or so to help keep him tucked in. It's a bit complicated because I live in South Florida.

I'd like to get a travel guitar and my immediate thought is just belly up the $1k for an Emerald X7 Opus. I have the X20 Opus and love it but I don't want to travel with a full size guitar. My wallet says I need to consider less expensive options.

Are there CF options in the $500 $600 region? Used is fine.

Thank you! Love this site. Would not know about CF if not for this forum.

Steve-arino
Emerald X20
Martin OM-28E

Last edited by Steve-arino; 08-24-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:56 PM

Nothing posted on the AGF classifieds in your price range, and nothing on Reverb either. You might find something used on CL but I think you may have to shred a bit more cheddar for even a used CF.

There are a couple new Journey OF660 and RT660s on Reverb for about $1200, and a brand new RainSong CH-OM for around $1350. I do wish you luck though- people seem to be hanging onto these CF guitars
Old 08-24-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Looks like I'm going to be doing some unexpected cross country travel soon.
My son just graduated college in Northern CA (CAL) and is making his way into the working world. His mom (my ex) is out there now for a few days helping to set him up in his apartment, and I've decided that until he is up and running I'll be visiting Berkeley for a few days every 4 - 6 weeks or so to help keep him tucked in. It's a bit complicated because I live in South Florida.

I'd like to get a travel guitar and my immediate thought is just belly up the $1k for an Emerald X7 Opus. I have the X20 Opus and love it but I don't want to travel with a full size guitar. My wallet says I need to consider less expensive options.

Are there CF options in the $500 $600 region? Used is fine.

Thank you! Love this site. Would not know about CF if not for this forum.

Steve-arino
Emerald X20
Martin OM-28E
Steve... as a fellow OM-28V owner, I can relate to your need for a compact CF guitar. I just bought a RainSong CH-OM1100NS (OM body, 12-fret, short scale) from Ted at LA Guitar Sales and have to say, I'm thrilled with this instrument! Ted will give you an AGF member discount. You will pay a bit more than a grand for a new one, but they are sweet sounding and playing - and not 'just' for travel, for all-the-time. The size and super light weight is excellent for travel. He also sells the Journey models.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I agree with Sean. It's going to be next to impossible to find a CF size travel guitar in your stated price range. If you're real lucky, maybe an older pre-Peavey CA Cargo could come-up for under $1k, but you'd have to be careful because some had neck angle issues. I have an early '08 Cargo and it's a real good guitar with no problems. The mentioned Journeys or the X7 Opus may be your only options.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I agree with Sean. It's going to be next to impossible to find a CF size travel guitar in your stated price range. If you're real lucky, maybe an older pre-Peavey CA Cargo could come-up for under $1k, but you'd have to be careful because some had neck angle issues. I have an early '08 Cargo and it's a real good guitar with no problems. The mentioned Journeys or the X7 Opus may be your only options.
...forgot about the Opus X7, thanks for adding that Tom! Still, good luck finding one used and new ones are still just under a grand. That's actually a great deal for a new Emerald! I had no idea.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 PM

Are the sub-$1000 Opus X7'S readily available, or is there a wait time? That is a good price for a quality small travel guitar.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Are the sub-$1000 Opus X7'S readily available, or is there a wait time? That is a good price for a quality small travel guitar.
A brand new X7 Opus is under $1000 delivered (by 5 bucks). Used are sometimes available, I think I paid $800 for mine.

If the OP is going to be traveling from Florida to Cali repeatedly I would probably recommend the parlor version of your new Rainsong though, the PA-CH with hard case.

I wouldn't risk a guitar in a gig bag (even carbon fiber) on an aircraft.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-25-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
A brand new X7 Opus is under $1000 delivered (by 5 bucks). Used are sometimes available, I think I paid $800 for mine.

If the OP is going to be traveling from Florida to Cali repeatedly I would probably recommend the parlor version of your new Rainsong though, the PA-CH with hard case.

I wouldn't risk a guitar in a gig bag (even carbon fiber) on an aircraft.
$995 is a good price, delivered; probably does not include a hard case, though?

Do you think the tone or playability of the CH-PA is a bit better than the X7? The RainSongs do come with an excellent hard-shell case. And, judging from the tone of the CH-OM, I'm impressed for sure.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

The gig bag that comes with the X7 is great. My X7 has now been coast to coast to coast, and still looks like new. I find the X7 to be a great travel guitar (and: a great guitar) that impresses me every time I pick it up. It is definitely my favorite of all the smaller carbon fiber options. Great sound, wonderfully comfortable. Doesn't feel cramped like some smaller guitars.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 AM

I would take a different tack. I travel back and forth to Alaska several times a year. I bought a used Taylor 114ce and just leave it up there with a friend. That way my travel stress level is reduced. One less thing to carry and the airline cannot take it away from me and stuff it in the cargo hold, plus I know what is there on the other end. The down side is that I don't have a guitar with me to while away the time in airports during flight delays.

Does your son have any interest in playing? Is there any problem with a guitar living in his apartment? Berzerkeley (and the whole Bay Area) is a pretty forgiving climate for guitars, requiring little humidity care.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Default I understand better now

Great options. I have a few weeks before I'm going to buy anything but that Rainsong Parlor without electronics looks fantastic. Do you think that would fit in an overhead compartment on cross country flight? I think the X7 would fit ok but would love to try a Rainsong.

Maybe I'll give Ted a shout.

Gracias amigos!

Steve-arino
X20
OM-28E
Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I think he'd be interested but not right now. He's 22, caught in the world between school and reality. Ah - Bezerkely!!! And it is.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:37 PM

Excellent options presented here.

I have had my X20 in a soft bag in an overhead without any problems (I think it was a 747), so that might be another simpler option for you.

Another option that hasn't been mentioned yet is to save up for the guitar you want (X7 or Rainsong) and in the meantime throw out some dough on a decent baritone Uke. I have a Pono that I have carried on a plane that also just fits in its bag inside my suitcase if I don't want to carry it. I wouldn't recommend it if you have to have the two guitar bass strings, but it's great for strumming and rethinking how you fret up and down the fret board.

You can also try out a Guitalele. It's almost a toy, but it plays well enough and feels like you are capo'ed up near the 7th fret. It comes in under $100 depending on where you look and a lot under if you catch the right sale. It's tough and you can leave it at your son's without worry about it getting destroyed. Worse case you are out a hundred bucks.

If it was me, I would make do with what I have and maybe grab a beater at one of the local pawn shops or music stores near your son (assuming he's willing to store it for you and you don't need it otherwise while traveling) while saving up for the ideal travel guitar (in my case it's currently the Journey).

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Great options. I have a few weeks before I'm going to buy anything but that Rainsong Parlor without electronics looks fantastic. Do you think that would fit in an overhead compartment on cross country flight? I think the X7 would fit ok but would love to try a Rainsong.

Maybe I'll give Ted a shout.

Gracias amigos!

Steve-arino
X20
OM-28E
Hi Steve,

The Rainsong Parlor is an amazing guitar, and it will definitely fit in the overhead compartment. Here is my RS Parlor on the way to Alaska a few years ago.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

The Journey OF660 CF travel guitar is an excellent choice. They pop up here on occasion use and are scooped up almost instantly. I got mine for a really great price but still more than what you're looking to spend. I've been offered $900 for mine and I still won't sell it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber