The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Default Tips to prevent injury

Found this via Acoustic Guitar's FB page, which borrowed it from Classical Guitar magazine....tips to avoid injury that are applicable to any style of guitar playing:

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/5...david-leisner/

1. Don’t be afraid of large motions. Small motions often create tension. Freedom of motion is more important than economy of motion.

2. Generally, the way to allow the large muscles to work in either arm is to feel the natural weight of the arm falling, even in upward motions that are away from gravity.

3. In the left hand, don’t squeeze the neck between the thumb and fingers. Rather, let the fingers drop to the strings from the top, or knuckle (metacarpophalangeal) joint. That includes the bar finger, which should be snapped lightly and effortlessly to the string, originating the movement from the top joint, not the arm.

4. Study the healthy alignment of all parts of your body. Highly recommended are Alexander technique, Feldenkrais method, Pilates, tai chi, and yoga.

5. Pay attention to tension in your legs and pelvic area and to your breathing, which are often sources of tension in your upper body.

What's not mentioned is how to hold the guitar. Classical guitarists point the neck up toward the ceiling, while most other guitarists hold the neck parallel to the floor. My teacher isn't a classical guitar player, but prefers to hold the guitar in a hybrid version of the two, with the neck pointing up toward the ceiling, or about 45 - 50 degrees up from parallel to the floor. I've tried his way, but it tires my fretting arm out to have to reach up to grab freets 1 - 5 or so. The other tips, listed above, I found to be quite helpful, with the exception maybe of the first. As a fingerstyle player, I don't do much in the way of "large motions." Not intentionally, anyway!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

You are right - finding a comfortable position that suits the person and the guitar used is a fundamental requirement to avoid injury, but these 5 points are probably being put forward with the expectation that they add another level of awareness to players who have not consciously considered them.

I still tense up even when I know it is not a good thing and this has quite a knock on effect - poor breathing, leg tension all add up.

Regarding Classical position - you will find this varies, Xavier Jara (as an example) holds the guitar with the neck quite high, but your teacher holding the guitar at about 45 degrees is not unusual. Julian Bream for instance held the guitar more horizontal than this to great effect.

As you note, this position with full size steel guitars can be uncomfortable as the neck is longer and often the body is larger, therefore extending the fretting hand and therefore arm further. There is therefore good reason why most play these guitars on the right leg.

I think the comment he makes on freedom of motion is a relative one, as the less we are tensed up the easier it is to move fingers and hand position, which equally applies to us as finger-style players.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

My best tip is to play AIR GUITAR!

Here some reasons:

1. No physical damage to your body (in keeping with this thread)
2. You will NEVER be accused of hitting a wrong note
3. You can play in any style with little or no practice, instant gratification
4. Travels easy, nothing to carry
5. Impervious to the elements
6. No need for amplification, busking would be....interesting
7. The most inexpensive means of playing guitar, GAS is just that - air
8. No need to change strings or retune, or even tune at all
9. No heavy guitar cases
10. No calluses, no hassles with fingernails, no dropping picks in the soundhole
11. You can have as many or as few strings as you desire, and of any type or tension
12. No need for fakebooks, sheet music, or anything having to do with music
13. No disturbing the neighbors at any of the hour of day or night
14. You don't need a "brag" list in your signature

On a more serious (or at least conversational) note:

When Steven King gave a couple of seminars here, he talked extensively about the proper way to hold the guitar to avoid injury, largely because his style is so demanding and prone ot injury if the player is not careful.

He strongly suggested using a guitar strap because you could always put the guitar in the same position (i.e. leverage muscle memory), whether sitting or standing, and always have it in the safest position for your body. That position was pretty much the classical position.

At that time (late 80s, early 90s), I played classical guitar in that position, but acoustic guitar in the typical hunched over the right leg position. I found that following Steven King's advice really made a big difference, and have been doing that ever since.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 04-23-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Some of those suggestions by David Leisner were good, some not so much. Take what you can use.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Those sound like interesting ideas, but I would sure rather SEE the methods and angles that he's discussing. That would be much more helpful to me.

I'd also like to add that it really pays to do some stretching before you start to play. I once had a Yoga instructor give me a series of hand exercises which I've found quite helpful.

Another tip would be to get your blood circulating, either by some easy calisthenics or just by merely moving your arms and hands in a circular motion. This will warm up your joints and makes a big difference is lightening up your hands.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 AM

When I was beginning to play fingerstyle, someone noticed that the neck was parallel to the floor while playing. I was also trying to move about the fretboard & hold onto the neck at the same time.

Guitar straps always gave me a pain in the shoulder neck area.

So, I did a lot of searching and trials of various guitar supports..

I've been using the De Oro guitar support for a few years now. It is adjustable to almost any height. They are held in place with suction cups can be used on either leg. In the 2 years of use, I have never had one accidentally release while playing.

I've got one for every guitar that I own. The guitar with poly finish have then attached 24/7.. But my Froggy Bottom with nitro finish only has it attached while playing.

http://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusic...r_Support.html
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
When I was beginning to play fingerstyle, someone noticed that the neck was parallel to the floor while playing. I was also trying to move about the fretboard & hold onto the neck at the same time.

Guitar straps always gave me a pain in the shoulder neck area.

So, I did a lot of searching and trials of various guitar supports..

I've been using the De Oro guitar support for a few years now. It is adjustable to almost any height. They are held in place with suction cups can be used on either leg. In the 2 years of use, I have never had one accidentally release while playing.

I've got one for every guitar that I own. The guitar with poly finish have then attached 24/7.. But my Froggy Bottom with nitro finish only has it attached while playing.

http://www.deoromusic.com/deoromusic...r_Support.html
dkstott, how does the guitar fit back in its case with the support still on it?

Old 04-23-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
My best tip is to play AIR GUITAR!

Here some reasons:

1. No physical damage to your body (in keeping with this thread)
2. You will NEVER be accused of hitting a wrong note
3. You can play in any style with little or no practice, instant gratification
4. Travels easy, nothing to carry
5. Impervious to the elements
6. No need for amplification, busking would be....interesting
7. The most inexpensive means of playing guitar, GAS is just that - air
8. No need to change strings or retune, or even tune at all
9. No heavy guitar cases
10. No calluses, no hassles with fingernails, no dropping picks in the soundhole
11. You can have as many or as few strings as you desire, and of any type or tension
12. No need for fakebooks, sheet music, or anything having to do with music
13. No disturbing the neighbors at any of the hour of day or night
14. You don't need a "brag" list in your signature

On a more serious (or at least conversational) note:

When Steven King gave a couple of seminars here, he talked extensively about the proper way to hold the guitar to avoid injury, largely because his style is so demanding and prone ot injury if the player is not careful.

He strongly suggested using a guitar strap because you could always put the guitar in the same position (i.e. leverage muscle memory), whether sitting or standing, and always have it in the safest position for your body. That position was pretty much the classical position.

At that time (late 80s, early 90s), I played classical guitar in that position, but acoustic guitar in the typical hunched over the right leg position. I found that following Steven King's advice really made a big difference, and have been doing that ever since.

Tony
Yes, my teacher is very much in favor of using a strap. I play sitting, never standing. Doesn't matter. He says the strap holds the weight of the guitar and holds it in the right position, not me. Took some getting used to, that strap. But now my main guitar has a strap. It'd would feel 'naked' w/o it.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:30 AM

I was having some tingling and numbness, so I think about this a lot. I wish I could play with a strap. I tried and it works great for a while, but then it causes strain on my neck and back, even if it's very lightly hanging, like when I'm sitting. This is not surprising - I always have trouble if I hang any bag or anything on one shoulder. I tried moving the strap around, etc. No dice. I'm going to try again with maybe more padding or something because it is fabulous for keeping the guitar in the right position no matter what crappy uncomfortable chair I find while traveling. I want to try some stands and supports when I get back to the US.

The best place I have right now is actually sitting on the floor at the top of the stairs because it puts my back to the wall and one leg up with the other down out of the way. Not ideal.

I do raise the guitar neck, but the scale length is a bit stretchy. To increase practice time without strain, I've been tuning down a step and then capoing on 2. I can play MUCH better there so I can practice much longer.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM

The support is essentially, a leather strap, suctions cups and metal frame which all collapses. It folds nicely against the side of the guitar and fits in my case with no issues at all. I've been doing it this way for 2 years with no problems.

When it is removed, there are suction cup marks. But they wipe off with a rag while cleaning both on my poly and the nitro finished guitars.

When I do have to remove it for my Froggy Bottom, it tucks into the case under the headstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
dkstott, how does the guitar fit back in its case with the support still on it?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

With my Brunton classical guitar, there are no strap pins, and I really don't want to do that to such a nice instrument. I play that sitting only and use a stool for my left foot instead.

So, the limitation with a strap is that you need to be able to attach it to the guitar.

With the kind of device dkstott is talking about with suction cups, I am concerned with damaging the thin French polish finish on my Brunton. That may be misplaced concern, but untl I have definite assurance to the contrary, I am intending to continue to use a foot stool.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-23-2017, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post

I'd also like to add that it really pays to do some stretching before you start to play. I once had a Yoga instructor give me a series of hand exercises which I've found quite helpful.

Another tip would be to get your blood circulating, either by some easy calisthenics or just by merely moving your arms and hands in a circular motion. This will warm up your joints and makes a big difference is lightening up your hands.
I took years of martial arts training that ALWAYS started with both static and dynamic stretching exercises. Not sure why it took me so long to realize that I should be doing the same before playing the guitar. Some of the Hapkido wrist exercises actually work well for the guitar.

Last year at the Swannanoa Gathering Guitar Week I took a class with Pete Kennedy, "Six Exercises to Improve Your Playing". The first two blocks covered some stretching and warmup exercises I am still using almost a year later.

My body chemistry is deadly to strings so I wash my hands before playing. It took me far to long to realize that using very warm water to wash also helped loosen my fingers.

Wish I could have seen Toby's stretching advice 5 years ago when I started on the guitar journey.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 04-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

I'm another who wears a strap even though playing seated. I keep the neck up a bit, if my left arm gets a bit tired I just lower it some or take a break. Wearing the strap really increased my enjoyment of playing. There was always that battle for a good hold on the guitar that went on behind the music... foot stool, left leg, etc. No more. Just relaxed playing now.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-23-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
The support is essentially, a leather strap, suctions cups and metal frame which all collapses. It folds nicely against the side of the guitar and fits in my case with no issues at all. I've been doing it this way for 2 years with no problems.

When it is removed, there are suction cup marks. But they wipe off with a rag while cleaning both on my poly and the nitro finished guitars.

When I do have to remove it for my Froggy Bottom, it tucks into the case under the headstock.
Do these sit on your thigh? I wonder if it would be strain there.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM

Yes, they sort of sit on your thigh. In my 2 years of use averaging 1.5 hours of playing every day. I've never had any sense of strain.

Maybe this video will help

https://youtu.be/HI71KVarxgY

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write