The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-11-2018, 04:33 AM

Default TC Electronic Soulmate Acoustic vs. Boss AD-10

Having given up playing in a covers band where I switched between acoustic/electric/mando/lap steel, so that I can focus on my original material acoustic trio/quartet, I am thinking of selling off most of my pedalboard - some of which I have used for acoustic, but which now seems like overkill (Strymon Bigsky and Timeline, Deco, etc., as well as an OD pedal, trem, boost).

So, I am wondering about replacing the acoustic set-up I had (Baggs Venue DI, bodyrez for when using Piezo [my main guitar runs on a Baggs passive magnetic soundhole pickup], Timeline and Big Sky. I would like to work instead with an all-in-one unit such as the Soulmate or the AD-10.

I understand I won't have anything like the scope for soundscaping that I have with the Strymons, but I am aware I only use a fraction of their power, and an all-in-one-unit would be something I could easily plug in at open mics - currently the big board is reserved for "proper" gigs and I just use the Venue at OMs.

Anyone got any thoughts on the relative merits of the Boss vs. the Soulmate? I have never used a looper but wouldn't mind exploring... but currently it's not a major priority.

thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 AM

If you sing get the TC Play Acoustic and Switch 3 or 6. If you just play get the T Rex Soulmate acoustic.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
If you sing get the TC Play Acoustic and Switch 3 or 6. If you just play get the T Rex Soulmate acoustic.
I do sing. Though mostly with a "real" harmony singer! Is the Play Acoustic still worth it for vocal enhancement?
Old 01-11-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windfall View Post
I do sing. Though mostly with a "real" harmony singer! Is the Play Acoustic still worth it for vocal enhancement?
TCH PLay Acoustic is a nice all-in-one. I have one and it has a ton of flexibility. Harmony is just 1 of many vocal features .. but it can be turned off. The other vocal features are well worth it ...IMO.

But TCH has a couple other pedals that just do Vocal enhancement .. Chek out the Mic Mechanic and the newer Perform V units. Both would complement something like the Boss AD10 or Baggs Venue.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
TCH PLay Acoustic is a nice all-in-one. I have one and it has a ton of flexibility. Harmony is just 1 of many vocal features .. but it can be turned off. The other vocal features are well worth it ...IMO.

But TCH has a couple other pedals that just do Vocal enhancement .. Chek out the Mic Mechanic and the newer Perform V units. Both would complement something like the Boss AD10 or Baggs Venue.
Thanks. I guess I am more interested in shaping the guitar sound than my voice... the attraction of something like the Soulmate is its reverb, compression and delay built-in.

Does anyone have experience of the Boss AD10 and the Soulmate, and can compare the quality of the two in terms of processing the guitar?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Soulmate sounds the best but play acoustic is still good and you can use vocal delays and other effects. I’d say get the play acoustic and switch 6.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Soulmate sounds the best but play acoustic is still good and you can use vocal delays and other effects. I’d say get the play acoustic and switch 6.
Thanks, I will look into play acoustic with the switch 6 - seems to give a lot of flexibility
Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Best piece of gear I ever bought. I do like the soulmate though. It’s cool too.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 AM

I had the play acoustic. Now use the AD10. I like having knobs I can see and I don't like having to go through menus on a little screen. Also find the AD10 to sound less processed.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I had the play acoustic. Now use the AD10. I like having knobs I can see and I don't like having to go through menus on a little screen. Also find the AD10 to sound less processed.
Thanks, seems as though the next thing I need to do is give them all a try... still leaning towards the soulmate at the moment - the voice effects are not a priority for me.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:02 AM

They are mostly out of stock now but should be back soon.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 AM

Default Not decided yet

I have delay DD500, tuner POlytune 2 and Looper DITTO x4. 600 € in 3 effects and I can get one TREX for 600 € too with more options and suitable for acoustic guitar. I like having all good staff under one roof and not to bring 5 effects together when I have a concert.

I am thinking about BOSS AD10 too guys, but there some negative reviews and I have dd500 > too complicated. I have a little daughter dont have time for all the setting. I need only turn the knob and play not to experiment so much. BOSS AD 10 is too complicated and 1 little display. I am towards TREX too.... But I must sell the mentioned staff I already own
Old 04-09-2019, 03:25 PM

Does the Soulmate offer anything that the Play Acoustic doesn't? Or does it
do anything better?

Quote:
Best piece of gear I ever bought. I do like the soulmate though. It’s cool too.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:31 PM

Has anyone compared the reverbs between the acoustic soulmate and the AD-10? The quality/suitability of the reverb for acoustic sounds, above all, is important to me.
I'm mostly a bedroom player.
Overall, which is the better unit?
Also curious which one lasts longer on batteries.

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification