The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
As part of aging, higher frequency sounds are the first to go with males. I think this plays a part in what we prefer in our guitar tone.
I am sure that this is true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I also had it explained to me another way: self preservation... when your wife says, "Why didn't you do what I told you??", it may be physiological... that's what I'm going with anyway.
Yeah... I'm not understanding some of the mumbled commentary from my beautiful wife nearly as well, anymore. Funniest thing! She does me well, and I love her for that.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
DHart and Captain Jim, what might your X7 benefit from the most (for your taste): emphasizing bass, midrange, treble, etc? What tone works best for you?

I am so close to ordering an amber stock X7 for my porch swing. Closer now - no thanks to that beauty in the desert.

Interested in the results you get with your change(s) of strings.
For myself, I wanted more sparkle, more brilliance. The stock EXP11 coated strings sounded "thuddy" to me, to be honest! I was not impressed.

With a string change, the EJ11 uncoated 80/20s I installed have made a very nice change in that regard. The tone is good and there is more sparkle now.

I like the short scale, 12-fret neck, the wide string spacing, and the chunky neck! Very good!

I do notice a somewhat short sustain of fretted notes with the X7, but I think that is just the nature of the beast. Longer scale instruments put more tension on the top and they seem to sustain longer than short scale instruments.

For my purposes (personal use, travel, playing on the sofa or recliner, leaving out on a guitar stand regardless of temperature or humidity changes) it plays well, sounds good, looks good, and meets the need nicely. The build quality and finish - including the deep amber tone, is truly impressive.

All-in-all, for $1395, the X7 Amber Artisan is a pretty sweet deal. Though I didn't order, ask for, nor pay extra for the LR Bags Element electronics, the "in-stock" X7 Amber Artisan that I ordered through the Emerald website came with the pickup system installed. I had been watching and considering this "in stock" Amber X7 Artisan on the Emerald website for at least a couple of weeks. I decided to sell a pistol to finance the guitar (having quite a few guitars already, my wife doesn't squabble about yet another guitar coming into the house if liquidating an unused pistol covers the expense) so when the pistol sold, I gleefully clicked "BUY" on the Emerald website. And I'm glad that I did. I gave up a (very nice!) pistol that I haven't fired nor needed in years and gained an Amber X7. Decent trade.

That being the case....my wife still asked if would be selling another guitar... now that I was getting another one. SO FUNNY!

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Hilarious! Yeah, sometimes they just don't understand.

Interesting observations on tone, appreciate it muchly.

Sell some guns to make room for guitars. Love it. I could sell several repro muskets since my reenacting days are over, and get the amber stock X7. Nice that your electronics were included at no charge. I can't hope for such luck. But I can hope my wife isn't counting: 4 CFs and 10 electric guitars, and yes sweetie, each one has a niche.

Last edited by Res Ipsa; 10-17-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:

I can hope my wife isn't counting: 4 CFs and 10 electric guitars, and yes sweetie, each one has a niche.
They do indeed!
Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Interesting observations on tone, appreciate it muchly.

Sell some guns to make room for guitars. Love it. I could sell several repro muskets since my reenacting days are over, and get the amber stock X7.Nice that your electronics were included at no charge. I can't hope for such luck. But I can hope my wife isn't counting: 4 CFs and 10 electric guitars, and yes sweetie, each one has a niche.
FYI: The pickup is part of the standard spec of the Artisan range , so you WILL be in luck !

Also, a guy with a big coat could probably conceal an X7 about their person.

PS, RED is the best colour !!!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tom, I played a Cargo once and loved it! Went back to buy it and it was gone, arrgh.

DHart, keep us posted on your string changes.

Jim, I can relate to frequencies. Got a creeping case of nascent geezer hearing myself, roadwear. I like to warm up the tone of my RS guitars. On my Shorty, Martin Monel Retros do that pretty well. My Journey OF660 is already there in terms of good bass with the stock Nanowebs.

DHart and Jim, what might your X7 benefit from the most (for your taste): emphasizing bass, midrange, treble, etc? What tone works best for you?

I am so close to ordering an amber stock X7 for my porch swing. Closer now - no thanks to that beauty in the desert.

Interested in the results you get with your change(s) of strings.
I have stayed with the Elixir PB Nanoweb strings. I get a nice balanced tone out of the X7, not feeling it needs anything, so I haven't experimented with other strings on it. The first sign I get from the Elixirs that they are due to be changed is a "twangy" sound on the high e. With regular play, I get about 4 months on a set.

My observations on the X7: it is a small, comfortable guitar that doesn't "play" small. The laws of physics aren't denied - it is not as loud as a bigger guitar. But, playing it with other larger guitars, it hasn't "gotten lost" - it really does hold its own. Besides the comfort, what impresses me most is it doesn't "sound small." The tone isn't thin. It just sounds like... a guitar.

I had not been a couch player. But, the X7 fits when on the couch, in a recliner, in a camp chair... it gets played more because of the comfort. This guitar has brought me out of my guitar room. I have played out with it, and done a couple jam sessions - never felt I needed more.

Does it sound as big as my X20 or 814? Only when plugged in.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
FYI:

PS, RED is the best colour !!!
Some more false reporting....I apologize for having to correct you Jon, but the blue ones sound better than the red ones. Unless it's an X20...the red ones are tops there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber