The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-08-2015, 12:25 PM

i used to build in an apartment bedroom. mostly hand tools and a milling machine (my mill makes less noise then a coffee grinder). anything powered had it's own dust collector. noise from sawing, drilling, routing, etc...wasn't an issue as long as it was during normal hours. wipe on finishes & wet sanding, no spraying of anything. exhaust fan in the window, splitting of bracing billets on the front doorstep, lots of vacuuming, cover up stuff with drop cloths, portable dryer for humidity control, go bar deck, caned air for quick blowoff, a pair of B&D workmates and a ton of clamps.

most hand tools, planes, chisels, rasps, scrapers, etc.. make very little noise and make chips not dust. genuine japanese pull saws cut 2x as fast as western saws thus reducing time, effort, and any noise.

it's not the Utopian ideal but it can certainly be done.

Last edited by arie; 09-08-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Negative pressure is your friend. All it takes is one fan in a window.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Negative pressure is your friend. All it takes is one fan in a window.
there comes a point where particulate concentration becomes too high then an explosion proof fan becomes your friend.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
there comes a point where particulate concentration becomes too high then an explosion proof fan becomes your friend.

There comes a point where the air velocity necessary to clear the air ceases to be your friend and requires hearing protection. But we are getting way ahead of ourselves approaching heavy industry.

This discussion reminds me of a story published in Fine Woodworking some decades ago. It chronicles the adventures of a wood worker who decided he'd like to make his own chisels and follows him through creating a blast furnace in his back yard, smelting the steel, forging, heat treating, etc. It was, of course, tongue-in-cheek fiction, but was amusing to read.

Having made a few guitars in a small apartment, I can attest to the fact that it is possible though messy, noisy, smelly, inconvenient in nearly every way and your neighbours will hate you.

If I had an enemy, I'd recommend to him that he take up guitar making in his one room apartment. And, just to sweeten the pot, I'd recommend he spray nitrocellulose lacquer on it.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
There comes a point where the air velocity necessary to clear the air ceases to be your friend and requires hearing protection. But we are getting way ahead of ourselves approaching heavy industry.

This discussion reminds me of a story published in Fine Woodworking some decades ago. It chronicles the adventures of a wood worker who decided he'd like to make his own chisels and follows him through creating a blast furnace in his back yard, smelting the steel, forging, heat treating, etc. It was, of course, tongue-in-cheek fiction, but was amusing to read.
Making a fiberglass board for a tube guitar amp. Never got around to making the capacitors though.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 AM

After refinishing my 3rd guitar, I would never do it inside, even by hand.

II did all mine in my porch area outside.
Mako early 80's strat copy.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Somewhat idly, I looked around for guitar building opportunities in Switzerland. Mind you, I don't speak German (some French). But Google Translate (Gitarrenbaukurs) and http://google.ch came up with some possibilities, though it would be a "working vacation" in terms of time. The advantage is that you'd have a good workshop and all the tools you needed available without having to purchase them yourself.

http://brunner-guitars.com/build-brunner-guitar/
http://www.schaergitarren.ch/gitarrenbaukurse/
http://www.devenirluthier.ch/devenir...r/Accueil.html

Of course, if you're talking time off to do this, you could go out of Switzerland. I found another (electric-building) course on a Mediterranean island, another course in Germany, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair