The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Default G string buzz

Help! So, I seem to have somewhat constant problems with the wound G string windings coming loose and buzzing. I fingerpick exclusively, use picks, and have been using D'adarrio light gauge un-coated strings. Has anyone else ran into this? What's the cure, besides buying G strings in bulk and changing them every 30 min?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM

If it's truly an issue with the windings coming loose from the cores it sounds to me like either you've got your hands on a particular bad batch of strings or some sort of issue where the string contacts the tuning peg post, nut, and/or saddle - but buzzing can be tricky to diagnose, I'd suggest looking over this list for other possibilities - good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM

Yes, this is a very odd problem. The only time I've ever know string windings coming loose is on the D string on a classical guitar, and then only after months of wear. (The D-string windings are the finest, and wear and break where they are fretted most, usually over 2nd fret.)

Never known it on steel strings at all - although I can imagine the G string (as the lightest) would be the first to go.

Do your windings always break in the same place? I'm guessing it's an issue of excessive wear, and (if it happens with relatively new strings) maybe you have a very heavy attack? And/or extra light strings?
What kind of picks do you use? Do they have rough edges or flaws, likely to erode the strings??

Last edited by JonPR; 06-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write