The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Default Orpheum resonator?

Hope I'm not annoying anyone with another one of these...

This Orpheum resonator is going for $150 on Yahoo Japan auctions, with 0 bids so far.

Appears to be in pretty good shape, and the seller says it's MIJ, likely from the 70s.

Worth a bid or two? It would be my first resonator. Any input appreciated!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM

If it does not have an American made cone... I would not bid it up... though it may be possible to get a National or Beard cone.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 AM

If it's got standard size parts, replacing the cone is easy enough.

At that price, I think it's perfectly safe to bid on it. You might have an undiscovered gem there.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-18-2013, 03:30 AM

I took bohemian's advice and didn't bid. It went for about $170. Maybe next time I see one...
Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 PM

Oh no, the dreaded Japanese "Del Vecchio copy" hehe.

That was my first resonator guitar about 25 years ago (branded "Maya" instead of "Orpheum" but it was identical in every other way), purchased for significantly more than it was worth from a seedy pawnshop.
At the time I didn't know better, and I really liked the idea of having a resonator guitar.

The concept of resonator guitars being "mechanically amplified" must not have meant much to the designers of these Del Vecchio copies, as no one could even hear it over some quiet conversation.
"Please, can I have absolute silence...I am going to play my resonator guitar now, can you please stop talking?"

The original Del Vecchio guitars were designed for nylon strings, by the way...but the guitar which is the subject of this thread was not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments