The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Shopping for an ES-335

I sold some stuff - still selling actually - and am on the hunt for my dream guitar. I am after an ES-335, and for once I think I want a new guitar.

I went to the Wildwood website, and they really seem to be in a class by themselves in terms of stock and pricing - and sales pitch. Where else should I be looking?

Thoughts on pickups and specs? I hope to become a competent jazz player practicing (got to keep learning!) on this guitar, but to also use it for rock/country styles.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
...I am after an ES-335, and for once I think I want a new guitar...Thoughts on pickups and specs? I hope to become a competent jazz player practicing (got to keep learning!) on this guitar, but to also use it for rock/country styles.
No question you've got the jazz and rock angles covered (FYI the 335 was initially intended as a jazz guitar when it was released in 1958, and many rock players have used it since), but unless you swap out the pickups - which raises the question why you're locking yourself in on this specific model - they don't do country twang well. If you're after the general 335 vibe but need more versatility from a Gibson instrument, you might want to play a 330 somewhere in your travels; IME the P-90's - Gibson's go-to post-war jazz pickup, and still a favorite in those circles - add the touch of sparkle and clarity for country that you're not going to get from most humbuckers, and they've been a staple of rockers since the mid-50's...

If you haven't played any yet, I'd also suggest looking at the Gretsch hollowbody offerings; originally intended as jazz guitars and co-opted by the country crowd in the wake of Chet Atkins' well-known endorsement, they've also been adopted by rockers as diverse as Eddie Cochran, Duane Eddy, George Harrison, Brian Setzer, and Tim Armstrong, just to name a few. Speaking as a Gretsch owner since 1964, be advised that the pickups are inherently less powerful than their Gibson counterparts - most players choose them specifically for tone rather than raw power - so you're going to need to make up the difference at the amplifier end of the signal chain; in addition, Gretsch tone is very much sui generis - there's an idiosyncratic (and immediately recognizable) response in both the upper bass and upper mids that make them a "love-or-hate" proposition for many people - so I'd give it a good workout before you finally decide. Good news is that their QC/playability is arguably the best in the industry among production electrics at this price point - do an unplugged blind test with any comparable semi/hollowbody and I think you'll see what I mean - and their low/midprice MIK Electromatic line stands head. shoulders, and navel above anything in the under-$1K bracket; if the "great Gretsch sound" appeals to you, I'd strongly recommend trying a couple of these - every bit the equal of the MIJ Professional Series at one-third the price (I own one, played many, and as a whole they really are that good), and you can channel the bucks you save into a first-class tube amp...

Finally, I'd recommend checking out a Godin CW II, a 16" single-cut full-hollow in the general mold of the bop-era, twin P-90 ES-175. Don't be put off by the jazzbox visuals and/or think that you're going to be stylistically limited - I also own one of these and it's probably the most versatile all-around electric in my stable, covering everything short of all-out metal; in addition, the general weight and feel is comparable to a Seagull mini-jumbo cutaway - same neck/scale/body dimensions, and the overall weight is just a tick over five pounds (3-4 pounds less than a 335) - tone combines the best of Gibson and Gretsch (thanks to the lightweight, resonant woods used in its construction), and as with all Godin products QC is first-rate. FYI a few people around here own (and love) them, and IME if you're looking at a semi and/or hollowbody at any price (these go for ~$1K street, BTW - and TMK Tony Bennett's guitarist is using one on tour) you'd be remiss not to put it on your "must-play" list...

Hope this helps...
Old 05-28-2017, 11:23 AM

335 is an amazing guitar. different sound than a les paul but still with humbuckers.

if shopping new, first go play some at your local big box stores. then shop online at places like sweetwater, musician's friend, zz sounds, as well as some of the sponsors on the agf. make a list of the ones you got the best price from and call them back. take the best price and go for it.

if used, there are a ton of used guitars available, and, at a much better price than new.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Steve! Thanks! That's a lot of good info.

I'm definitely looking at a Gibson 335/345. This is one of those rare moments when I have something very specific and special in mind.

I have a Les Paul Special with P90's as a beater rock/blues guitar. And I plan to swap out a partscaster I have for a tele with single coils. I shouldn't have traded the one I had.

Since I am mostly an acoustic guitarist & singer, that is already a lot of electric guitar for a guy like me. The 335 is just something I've been in love with for years, so I have already narrowed the playing field to Gibson.

The real gift I intend to give myself is practice time dedicated to learning piano and jazz harmony. I want to be able to do more than play jazz chords and jazz-y sounding stuff like I do know. Got to practice and keep learning! I'd go for a hollow body except that I know it would leave me still wanting the 335.

So I'm mainly wondering where to look since there are only so many around locally, and also what specs folks like.

P90 vs humbuckers and which buckers? Low output is better for clean sounds, right?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:14 PM

What Steve said......

If a Gibson 335 is your dream guitar, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Buy one and don't look back.

But....it would behoove you to at least take a look at, and play (if possible), the guitars Steve mentioned, and any others that strike your fancy. I was recently in the market for a hollowbody and narrowed my choices to an Epiphone Joe Pass, Gretsch, and the Godin CW Kingpin II. I was leaning towards the Gretsch because I was actually able to handle one at my local GC, but the more I looked at the Godin the more intrigued I became. Based on recommendations from Steve and other Godin owners here, I made a leap of faith and bought the Godin.

I made the right choice. It couldn't be more perfect for me. My set up man loved it...he played it for over an hour the night before I picked it up from him. Even my son in law...who is a diehard Ibanez Gem and Fender strat/tele guy, was absolutely blown away by it.

My point is....take a look at any guitar that even remotely strikes your fancy. You never know...you just might pick up a guitar that isn't even on your radar, and feel an instant bond with it. That is what happened to me with a banjo. I had my "dream" banjo built special for me. Later I bought an entry level Deering Goodtime as a "knockaround". I instantly fell in love with it. It feels so good in my hands. Easy and fun to play, and I love how my hand slides so easily up and down the neck. While I love my special built banjo, my little Goodtime is the one I play 90% of the time.

If....after thorough research...you still want the Gibson...then buy it. But at least keep an open mind. You may surprise yourself.

Last edited by rdawsoniii; 05-28-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Chicago Music Exchange has some beauties, I played 2 of them when I visited on Sat. Typically stickered at 4-6k. You may want to look at a Heritage guitar, which is around 3k.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 02:56 PM

Wildwood, Sweetwater, GC or MF online are good places to shop for new Gibsons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Chicago Music Exchange has some beauties, I played 2 of them when I visited on Sat. Typically stickered at 4-6k. You may want to look at a Heritage guitar, which is around 3k.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

A long time ago, I lived about a mile from CME. They always have great stuff, but their prices seem to be aimed at the "money is no obstacle" crowd.

Online, Wildwood seems to be in its own class in terms of prices on new ones. But I'm just starting to look.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A couple o' things:

1. The ES345 is an ES-335 with a rotary switch and a gang of caps called the "Varitone" that allow you to thin out the tone. Even the supposed neutral position is thinner than an ES-335. Many people eventually end up disconnecting the Varitone switch and making the 345 a 335. Other than the Varitone, there are a couple of little aesthetic appointments that distinguish it. I decided on a 335 when it was my turn.
2. Unless you are an absolute fan of historical reproductions, the custom shop versions may not be cost effective or you. The Memphis versions sound nearly identical to them. The dimensions can be different and the neck shapes can be different. Try the various neck shapes to see if you are compatible with either.
3. The ES-335 exhibits quite a bit of tonal variance. There are hard ones, bright ones, dark ones, sweet ones, etc. Play as many as you can and chose one whose sound you love. I chose a sweet sounding one over the one that most caught my eye.

And HERE is my article about chasing the elusive ES-335.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
A couple o' things:

1. The ES345 is an ES-335 with a rotary switch and a gang of caps called the "Varitone" that allow you to thin out the tone. Even the supposed neutral position is thinner than an ES-335. Many people eventually end up disconnecting the Varitone switch and making the 345 a 335. Other than the Varitone, there are a couple of little aesthetic appointments that distinguish it. I decided on a 335 when it was my turn.
2. Unless you are an absolute fan of historical reproductions, the custom shop versions may not be cost effective or you. The Memphis versions sound nearly identical to them. The dimensions can be different and the neck shapes can be different. Try the various neck shapes to see if you are compatible with either.
3. The ES-335 exhibits quite a bit of tonal variance. There are hard ones, bright ones, dark ones, sweet ones, etc. Play as many as you can and chose one whose sound you love. I chose a sweet sounding one over the one that most caught my eye.

And HERE is my article about chasing the elusive ES-335.

Bob
Thanks! I have actually read your piece about getting your 335 as part of my research. Good stuff. Definitely not looking at the varitone thingy, but I am leaning towards humbuckers.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:22 AM

A 335 is a great guitar for multiple genres. If jazzy types can play on a Tele, I am pretty sure a 335 will be OK. And give you options for other genres. Enjoy the hunt.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 AM

You won't get a new one like this:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=470723

Last edited by M Sarad; 05-30-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:05 AM

Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse, WI has always been a pleasure to deal with.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I was just on the phone with them and they've let their Gibson contract lapse. They say perhaps next year... Right now they don't have any ES-335s in stock.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:48 PM

Although used, this one is pretty:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=470723

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars