The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Would you swap these Les Paul's?

Hi all,
Would you swap a 2013 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro Plus Top for a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded T? The differential will be an extra $100 after the sale and purchase. Both are in great condition.

Thoughts? Is the Gibson that much of an upgrade? I lose coil splits and a flame top and some nice finishing. But lots to gain in quality of materials.

What say you?

Old 05-26-2017, 06:33 PM

Tough choice - if it were one of the Studio Tribute LP's I'd do it in a heartbeat, not as impressed with the Faded T...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:28 AM

On paper, it looks like a fairly good trade. It'd depend on how each guitar sounded and played in my hands, through my amp, though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 AM

Personal preference I guess.....since I own the Epiphone you have without the coils splits I would say no. Of course I've never owned a Gibson.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 05-27-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Tough choice - if it were one of the Studio Tribute LP's I'd do it in a heartbeat, not as impressed with the Faded T...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
On paper, it looks like a fairly good trade. It'd depend on how each guitar sounded and played in my hands, through my amp, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Personal preference I guess.....since I own the Epiphone you have without the coils splits I would say no. Of course I've never owned a Gibson.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to pass on the swap. I'm afraid I'll go through all that work and not be happy with the faded. I like the epi even though it's not a Gibson. It sounds and plays well. I think I'll wait until I convince myself to spend the extra money on a higher model Gibson like a Traditional or a Standard.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
...I think I'll wait until I convince myself to spend the extra money on a higher model Gibson like a Traditional or a Standard.
Try one of these before you drop three times as much, on what might not necessarily be a "better" (albeit fancier/flashier) guitar:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPTR17SGNH

I've got the 2011 version with soapbar P-90's, and it's been my go-to solid for the last six years - these Tribute guitars (along with the J-15 acoustic) are proof positive that Gibson really can build first-tier instruments at working-Joe/Jane prices if they so choose. One nice feature of the '17 issues is that the goldtops once again have the PRS-style revealed-edge "binding" on the top and natural-color mahogany backs - swap a set of gold speed knobs and add a switch ring, and it'll look like a sweet '57 that got put under the bed when surf music hit the charts and hasn't been played since; in addition, the weight reduction (2-3 pounds in some cases over a non-relieved model) gives it a natural acoustic resonance and sweeter, airier mids, versus the jackhammer punch of a full-solid LP - may or may not be to your taste, but I find it more versatile (mine's the only LP I've ever played that can credibly do country - and it makes a killer surf guitar). FYI they've been discovered - most dealers can't keep them in stock - and I've seen the first-edition P-90 goldtops selling in the $1200-1400 range, so you might want to hit the big-box stores and check out the next one you find as soon as you find it...
Old 05-27-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Try one of these before you drop three times as much, on what might not necessarily be a "better" (albeit fancier/flashier) guitar:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPTR17SGNH

I've got the 2011 version with soapbar P-90's, and it's been my go-to solid for the last six years - these Tribute guitars (along with the J-15 acoustic) are proof positive that Gibson really can build first-tier instruments at working-Joe/Jane prices if they so choose. One nice feature of the '17 issues is that the goldtops once again have the PRS-style revealed-edge "binding" on the top and natural-color mahogany backs - swap a set of gold speed knobs and add a switch ring, and it'll look like a sweet '57 that got put under the bed when surf music hit the charts and hasn't been played since; in addition, the weight reduction (2-3 pounds in some cases over a non-relieved model) gives it a natural acoustic resonance and sweeter, airier mids, versus the jackhammer punch of a full-solid LP - may or may not be to your taste, but I find it more versatile (mine's the only LP I've ever played that can credibly do country - and it makes a killer surf guitar). FYI they've been discovered - most dealers can't keep them in stock - and I've seen the first-edition P-90 goldtops selling in the $1200-1400 range, so you might want to hit the big-box stores and check out the next one you find as soon as you find it...

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into her model. I've seen them online. Just never know much about them. Looks like a good step up from the faded series.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:55 PM

I would swap in a heartbeat. Here is mine. Sorry but Epiphones are just a cheap imitation. I've had a lot of LP's over the years and this faded mahogany is just amazing. The tone....the tone is just deep and thick.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post

+1. I've played some great Gibson Les Paul Faded guitars and only a couple that didn't impress me.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1. I've played some great Gibson Les Paul Faded guitars and only a couple that didn't impress me.

I decided not to make the move. My Epiphone sounds surprisingly good and feels great too. I figured why swap a guitar I know already sounds nice.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Personally I like the looks of the Gibson better but then these are guitars and guitars should not be bought or traded with the eyes.

I've seen well enough many Epi LP's come through my shop and they are definitely nice guitars so I would disagree strongly with the poster who claims they are cheap imitations. In fact if you put some nice pickups in them and swap out the cheap jacks and pots you will have a fully professional level guitar. Even off the shelf they are good enough.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I decided not to make the move. My Epiphone sounds surprisingly good and feels great too. I figured why swap a guitar I know already sounds nice.
I was going to suggest not swapping, but looks like you came to that conclusion already. Although I like the understated looks of the Gibson, it is hard to justify losing the coil splitting ability of the Epiphone. In your shoes, I would have not have done the deal as well. The grass always seams greener on the other side, until you realize the grass is pretty green right where you are standing already 😁

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 06-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I have a student with a faded T. the neck is really huge, and the guitar is really heavy. I would not trade anything usable for it. I like the idea of saving for the real thing. You can get some nice used LP Classics often for a decent price.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 06-02-2017, 03:30 PM

Good thinking..Keep the EPI!!!.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Anyway you can keep the Epi and get the Gibson? .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars