The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-01-2016, 04:15 PM

Default Recommend crossover nylon string?

The recent GAS threads have sort of highlighted the fact that I have little of it, and am (mostly) content with what I have.

However. I just noticed that a nylon string guitar sounds very nice late at night under the stars. Plus it's quiet and doesn't wake folks up.

I have a 45-50 year old Aria classical that I paid $20 for back in the day. Thought I might upgrade, or at least try out some crossovers. Nothing expensive, just something with a good sound.

I haven't explored this niche before, so recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Check out Cordoba - the Fusion line and the Parlors have slightly narrower nut widths and the Fusions also have a radiused fretboard to suit us streel-string pickers. More importantly, they're excellent guitars at very competitive prices.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:54 PM

If you don't need a cutaway or electronics, the cedar/mahogany Cordoba C9 Crossover is probably the best bang for the buck. Just be careful because the C9 is available in many models, and only the crossover has the fusion crossover neck.

If you need a cutaway, or want something slightly less expensive, the Cordoba Fusion guitars are popular. Make sure you get a 12 fret model, as the 14 fretters are rumored to sound acoustically inferior.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Default cordoba c10 crossover

I have the Córdoba c10 crossover and love it.
Taylor mini Koa,
huss and Dalton 00 sp Engelmann and rosewood back and sides
Felix preamp
Aer compact 60/3
Fishman loadbox performer
bose s1 pro
Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 PM

Another vote for Córdoba.

I have a Fusion Orchestra Pro, and a GK Studio. The GK Studio is not really considered a crossover, but as mentioned in other responses, the Fusion is.

Both are super-comfortable, well-made, and have great tone for their price range.

Not sure of your budget, or your "new vs used" strategy, but there are plenty of nice samples to be found on the used market.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 08-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Cordoba's C5 is an exceptional value. It is a standard classical design. I have a Yamaha NTX700. It is a crossover style with a thinner body, cutaway, and a 14th fret neck joint. It has exceedingly good electronics for plugging in. It still has a quiet but decently pleasant nylon string sound when played acoustically.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM

D'Addario EJ46TT's?

My old crossover page:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...Crossover.html
Old 08-02-2016, 05:06 AM

I just bought an Alvarez AC65HCE and it's fabulous.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:27 AM

and yet another vote for Cordoba... I own a C10 crossover and a GK pro negra

you can't beat them for the sound, price and build quality
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 AM

While the Cordobas are popular you guys don't know what your missing in Alvarez. I think that they are a much better value.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 AM

DCMEY, please understand that I do not mean any disrespect to you in my response to follow.

I'm very happy that you like your Alvarez, but based upon your previous posts, you've had the guitar for less than a month. In my opinion, you are still getting to know the guitar along with it's good and bad sides. Heck, you may have just barely worn out the original strings yet.

My humble position is that I'd never recommend someone buy a guitar like mine after having only owned it for 2 weeks. But that's just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
While the Cordobas are popular you guys don't know what your missing in Alvarez. I think that they are a much better value.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM

All this Cordoba love has me feeling really good about them acquiring Guild!
Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
DCMEY, please understand that I do not mean any disrespect to you in my response to follow.

I'm very happy that you like your Alvarez, but based upon your previous posts, you've had the guitar for less than a month. In my opinion, you are still getting to know the guitar along with it's good and bad sides. Heck, you may have just barely worn out the original strings yet.

My humble position is that I'd never recommend someone buy a guitar like mine after having only owned it for 2 weeks. But that's just me
He's had it for one day. I also wonder how much experience he has playing Cordobas.

Nothing wrong with Alvarez, but I think that Cordobas are the best value out there in nylons based on extensive experience with many brands over the years (including Alvarez).
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM

Great input, and much appreciated.

I have so little experience with nylon string guitars that, in my case, ignorance might be bliss, and also less expensive. I really don't know what a good one sounds like.

Is there that much difference in tonal quality between one with a solid top/laminate back/side, and all solid wood? My experience with steel strings is that this is sometimes a gray area. Is all-solid more or less important with a nylon string (I know -- loaded question).

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
He's had it for one day. I also wonder how much experience he has playing Cordobas.

Nothing wrong with Alvarez, but I think that Cordobas are the best value out there in nylons based on extensive experience with many brands over the years (including Alvarez).
I have played quite a few at Guitar Center. One thing that scared me away from is I question their Q.C. In doing a lot of research I was hearing a lot of stories of the bridges coming off on a number of Cordobas, and Cordoba has a 3 year warranty, Alvarez is a limited lifetime. I will be more than happy to stay off of the Cordoba section after this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical