The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Default AKG 550 Headphones vs Sennheiser HD380

Ok, hands down, these two cans are much better than the Beyerdynamics. The AKGs win. Very realistic, open sound for such a closed set of headphones. But they fit loosly, and the Sennheisers fit comfortably snug. But the AKGs do isolate noise just as well as the Sennheisers. With my smallish head, I put a hat on and they fit better.

The Sennheiser HD 350s are excellent, but are punchy like the Beyerdynamics. If I were to describe the AKGs...they are smooth.

Next, I have to get my hands on some of the Audio Tecnicas M50s. Then that's the last stop. Alohachris, I get what you are saying about monitors. When I am out shopping I will check them out. Probably more comfortable than wearing headphones, but don't forget I sing, not just play. As far as mics go, disappointed that Guitar Center does not have a room set up with a bunch to try out. Man, a lot of back and forth here.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 02-02-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 AM

While you're at it, try the HD700 Sennheiser. I have a pair here now for review.

Yesterday I tested them and got audible response down to 33 Hz.

Probably not for recording because they are open back, but interesting to listen to.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Personally, I think that Sennheiser needs another step up from the HD 300 series, and not so high that the price is out of reach for most. I have a feeling that once you get into their really expensive headphones, the difference is startling. Interestingly enough, their 250 II Pro series have had excellent reviews. Other than being a minimalist headphone, they apparently do an excellent job.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Ever considered earbuds?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM

I have earbuds that came with my Zoom, and they are ok.

I learned something new this morning as I am still comparing these two headphones. I can turn the volume down much further when I have the AKGs on. This I believe is due to the 50mm driver on board.

The Sennheiser work much better with the volume turned up. The company emailed me and told me these do not need to be driven, but something tells me an amp might help these headphones.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD