The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM

Default Do you think AGF could benefit from a separate "Recording/Live" classifieds forum?

I like to browse. I have a wanderlust for recording gear of various types - mics, monitors, EQs, compressors, etc. So I frequently like to look in the classifieds on forums like this for things that catch my eye. The problem with AGF's forums is that, because everything is lumped into a single forum ("AGF Classifieds"), it's just too much work to browse. The only usefulness I get from the AGF classifieds is to search for a specific thing I want. Boo. Hiss. I like to browse, remember?

So I started wondering, "Would more people use this forum (the RECORD forum) if they could buy/sell/swap gear easier?" I think the answer is "Yes!" If there was a subforum for the classifieds for "Recording and Live Sound Classifieds", for example, I think we'd get people all over AGF to take notice and thus we'd get more participation. I saw this happen over at another guitar forum (mostly for electrics). As their recording subforum became more popular, they added a corresponding classifieds forum and it really helped the members. Lots more threads were started asking about gear, about how to get started, etc. I know several of you guys from that forum too so I'm sure you remember.

Just an idea - any thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Scott - Howzit?!?

Aloha Scott,

I've always thought about that very question. Dividing the gear from the guitars into a separate "GEAR CLASSIFIED" forum would be VERY useful to us gearhead players looking to upgrade acoustic-guitar-based signal chains. It would really benefit giggers too.

I agree with you, Scott. A separate "Gear Classifieds" forum is a GREAT IDEA. It would attract a lot more gear sellers/buyers - to everyone's benefit.

Because I look only for gear rather than guitars online, I seldom go to AGF Classifieds in its current form because it's so difficult to scroll through all the guitars & find the very few real gear gems available. So yes, bring on a separate "GEAR" classifieds forum at AGF!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

PS: Forgot to respond to your recent post. Rent or "Buy" (w/ a good return policy like at @ Sweetwater, Tidepool, Soundpure or Mercenary) Schoeps caps to try-out on your rig. Well worth the shipping costs, IMO, to try out at home. I do it all the time on mic's, pre's & caps.

Check out the newish Schoeps MK-22 open cardioid instead of the 21 - real nice on acoustic guitar! I also really like the MK 2 omni & have a pair of MK4 cardioids & an MK8 for mid-side recording. My 41's are my "Go-To's."

All Schoeps caps are simply wonderful & very useful for different types of recordings applications & instruments. I really love that modular Collette CMC6series! BTW, Soundpure has plenty of recently-added clips of guitars for sale using the MK-22 open cardioid. They sound truly great - open, natural, not constrained at all. I'm saving up for a pair. As always, Scotty, all the best - alohachris

Here's a Soundpure clip of MK-22's in action:

http://www.soundpure.com/p/mcpherson...ic-guitar/4557

Last edited by alohachris; 01-11-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM

Good info, Chris. I'll check into paying the shipping for those caps.

Oh well - it looks like you and I are the only ones interested in a separate classifieds section!

Just You and I
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM

Yes, I think a separate classified would be really helpful. It's tough to paw through the current classifieds with all of the guitars for sale.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM

Big +1 from me.
I would love to browse through all the gear I don't need if all the guitars I don't need weren't in the way.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM

I like the idea.

--Bill

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM

Great idea.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM

What do you guys think? Would it be sufficient to have just two Classifieds, one for guitars and one for gear, or would you suggest more? Not saying that we'd do it, of course, but would like to know your thoughts.

cotten
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks for asking, cotten. I think that yes, those two would be a good start. Is that all that's needed? I don't know - I think though that, if you added another classifieds, people would either (a) start asking for additional classifieds (and you'd be able to tell which categories needed a new one by the sheer number of requests/suggestions) or (b) no one would ask for anymore forums. If a lot of people didn't start asking for another separate classifieds for another section, then you'd know that two was enough.

The other option would be to "go wide first" - to have 4-8 new classifieds with the intent to be to reevaluate after 90 days and cull/collapse the underperforming ones.

Candidates that could be included in the "go wide first" approach might be stuff like:
  • Recording and Live Sound
  • Guitar accessories (cables, picks, DVDs, books, pickups)
  • Acoustic Guitars
  • Electric Guitars
  • Amplification
  • Pedals
  • Other acoustic instruments (mandolins, banjos, etc)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks, Scott.

cotten
Old 01-21-2013, 02:09 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Yes we are getting a lot more classified posts these days. It's probably time to add a forum. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm thinking
AGF marketplace
AGF classifieds - guitars
AGF classifieds - other (music-related)
Auctions and Deals
Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 PM

J.R. that sounds great from my standpoint.

one question: when you say deals-do you mean something like coupons or discounts provided by GC, Sam Ash, Musician's Friend, etc.?
i note that the tele forum has that and it seems to draw a lot of interest. i know it helps me to have a 12% discount coupon when i walk in the door at GC.

thanks,
mikeB

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-22-2013, 08:51 AM

I don't think that's what J.R. meant, Mike, though I do like the idea!

Speaking of ideas, anyone notice that our Classifieds now has two sections, one for guitars and another for not-guitars? Thanks to J.R. for doing this, and to Scott and those who have posted on this thread.

Is this a great place or what?!

cotten
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM

I'll throw in my two cents here as I've kind of changed my mind over the past year or so as the AGF has been growing. I've never liked the idea of breaking up the classifieds into a bunch of smaller different sections, BUT, having just two sections such as "instruments" and "gear" tends to make sense since the categories are so broad.

The biggest problem as I see it is the number of postings and "bumps" so a new listing is quickly buried a few pages deep in the first day of posting.

Another possibility would be limiting the bumps to once per week, but I think unless this could be done through programming, it would be a huge problem to monitor.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by markallen; 01-22-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I don't think that's what J.R. meant, Mike, though I do like the idea!

Speaking of ideas, anyone notice that our Classifieds now has two sections, one for guitars and another for not-guitars? Thanks to J.R. for doing this, and to Scott and those who have posted on this thread.

Is this a great place or what?!

cotten
john: thanks for your response. may i ask then what is meant by deals as separate from auctions?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD