The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yep, some mighty nice rosewood right there!
Old 11-18-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Sides

The boys have got the sides cut and were running them through the sander as shown below...the report from the Olfactory department at the Kinnaird shop is this wood smells sweet! Steve said even more so than BRW! I love me a good smellin guitar! Not sure how much we can trust a couple of good ole' Texas boys in the smellin department, but hey, it's all we've got to go by...Now if they said it smelled like a good barbecue, then we would know we could trust em!

Again I am struck by the amount of color in this wood already. You know how a lot of times the wood looks OK, you can see the grain etc. and know that wet it is going to come alive and really change, this stuff just looks rich already. Either the finish is not going to do too much, ie. not be that dramatic of change or as Cigarfan said, it is going to have a lot of depth under finish. I guess time will tell....at least until then the shop smells good!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:36 AM
Music soothes the soul!

There is nothing like cracking open a case and filling the room with that sweet rosewood smell. Does a body good to sit down with a guitar like that. I can only hope my Madi does the same thing!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

This is going to be a great build, Tom! Congratulations! If you're looking for some additional low-end in your OM without having the guitar sound too boomy, the Kinnaird deep-body is the way to go. It'll come close to rivaling a dreadnought in some respects. I went to Dave's Guitar Shop yesterday and played a bunch of OMs - mostly Collings and Martins - and my two Kinnaird OMs smoked all of them, IMHO........ Enjoy the ride!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Great news, Tom - I'm glad you guys are taking us along for the ride again
Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Great choice on the radial purfling--that is going to look mighty fine!

Razo 19 is coming along beautifully--a real joy to pick up and play...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Tom, that is going to be a real beauty.

And just to avoid any suspense - NO, 2 will not be enough.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:49 AM

Great choice Tom! I love my deep body OM Honduran/Adirondack. It is the loudest guitar I own (including my SJ) and has a tone that is deep and lush. I followed your SJ build thread and am very much looking forward to following this build. This guitar will be the perfect compliment to your SJ. The only problem I find in having two amazing Kinnairds is deciding on which one to play
Martin J-41
Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Boy, oh boy...
This place is awesome...you know...with all the pictorial-documentations of amazing guitar-builds by world-class luthiers!!! Though it isn't totally void of any negative consequences...I oftentimes get somewhat distracted from taking care of my daily responsibilities...like work. In my own defense, though, I mostly limit my time here to scanning the forum, and not letting myself get sucked into hours of posting. But this is one of those times that I simply couldn't resist...

Tom...this is going to be a fun guitar to watch come to life. The beautiful wood choices, alone, would make it so...but even more so, because you're "That Guy"

You know...that guy who always goes out of his way to make everyone around him feel good with a pat on the back, or an attaboy, or any other of a million ways that guys like you make people like us glad that you're around...I like the way that Steve refers to you as "everybody's best friend on the forum." If I might be bold enough to speak for the rest of us...

...it's fun to watch good things happen to good people, and you, Sir, are good people. We're all hitching our wagons to this train of yours so that we can share the ride with you...and try to give back a little of what you so generously give to everyone around you. 😋

Joel Teel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 11-18-2016, 01:07 PM

Deep body + sound port... boy, you'll be in for a TREAT!
Old 11-18-2016, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Boy, oh boy...
This place is awesome...you know...with all the pictorial-documentations of amazing guitar-builds by world-class luthiers!!! Though it isn't totally void of any negative consequences...I oftentimes get somewhat distracted from taking care of my daily responsibilities...like work. In my own defense, though, I mostly limit my time here to scanning the forum, and not letting myself get sucked into hours of posting. But this is one of those times that I simply couldn't resist...

Tom...this is going to be a fun guitar to watch come to life. The beautiful wood choices, alone, would make it so...but even more so, because you're "That Guy"

You know...that guy who always goes out of his way to make everyone around him feel good with a pat on the back, or an attaboy, or any other of a million ways that guys like you make people like us glad that you're around...I like the way that Steve refers to you as "everybody's best friend on the forum." If I might be bold enough to speak for the rest of us...

...it's fun to watch good things happen to good people, and you, Sir, are good people. We're all hitching our wagons to this train of yours so that we can share the ride with you...and try to give back a little of what you so generously give to everyone around you. 😋

Joel Teel
WHAT JOEL SAID! PLUS ONE! Tom B'sox is a superstar around these parts- and beyond!
I want to add Steve and Ryan to that VIP list too. Two of the best luthiers you'll find anywhere in the world. Not only are they both ridiculously talented, they're also good, kind, decent guys who tend to bring out the best in the people around them. BRAVO to all!
Old 11-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Tom, on your new Kinnaird. The woods are beautiful. I can imagine the depth under finish of both top and back will be something to behold. Nice choices for the rosette. Gonna be special.

I'm am charged up. Will be following with great interest.
Thank you Dennis, I am sorry I am apparently ahead of you in line...I will try to get them to work hard to get to yours sooner!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
Yep, some mighty nice rosewood right there!
Thank you Bill, you may not know it, but we met at woodstock, you let me take one of your beauties out into the tent when it was raining...I felt so bad, but ran as fast as I could!!!! I wish I would have had a chance to check it out in better circumstances!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
There is nothing like cracking open a case and filling the room with that sweet rosewood smell. Does a body good to sit down with a guitar like that. I can only hope my Madi does the same thing!
I have a Ziricote with cedar linings and I swear that thing smells like a chocolate cigar, it is really a nice addition when playing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
This is going to be a great build, Tom! Congratulations! If you're looking for some additional low-end in your OM without having the guitar sound too boomy, the Kinnaird deep-body is the way to go. It'll come close to rivaling a dreadnought in some respects. I went to Dave's Guitar Shop yesterday and played a bunch of OMs - mostly Collings and Martins - and my two Kinnaird OMs smoked all of them, IMHO........ Enjoy the ride!
Thanks Jim! It was the sound of your recording that really pushed me from the FS model to the deep bodied OM. I have never heard a bad work about them...I think it must be right in the sweet spot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Great news, Tom - I'm glad you guys are taking us along for the ride again
Thank you for following, I hope it comes out as cool as I think it will!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Great choice on the radial purfling--that is going to look mighty fine!

Razo 19 is coming along beautifully--a real joy to pick up and play...
Yes when I saw the figure and color of that it seemed perfect. It will look good with the rosette, but we are using Celebes Ebony for binding and there is some color in that which should work really well next to this purfling also! Great news about the Razo, I am so glad you love it!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalcutta View Post
Tom, that is going to be a real beauty.

And just to avoid any suspense - NO, 2 will not be enough.
Well thank you on one note and not thank you on the other....I did not want to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveac View Post
Great choice Tom! I love my deep body OM Honduran/Adirondack. It is the loudest guitar I own (including my SJ) and has a tone that is deep and lush. I followed your SJ build thread and am very much looking forward to following this build. This guitar will be the perfect compliment to your SJ. The only problem I find in having two amazing Kinnairds is deciding on which one to play
Haha, I know what you mean. Your OM build was another thing that pushed me towards the OM over the FS...I am sure the FS is great also, but I just have not heard one or know of anybody that has one to record, so I went with what I consider a sure thing, the deep bodied OM! Just hearing all you guys is making more excited than I was before....they are thinking a March pick-up date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
Boy, oh boy...

Joel Teel
Well thank you very much, but I certainly don't deserve your kind words. You and Steve are amazing people and I am so excited to follow the next turn in your life and what amazing things it is about to produce! I only wish it could happen faster! I will be following along closely and wish you only the best results and successes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
Deep body + sound port... boy, you'll be in for a TREAT!
I know, right!!! I am getting very pumped up for this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
WHAT JOEL SAID! PLUS ONE! Tom B'sox is a superstar around these parts- and beyond!
I want to add Steve and Ryan to that VIP list too. Two of the best luthiers you'll find anywhere in the world. Not only are they both ridiculously talented, they're also good, kind, decent guys who tend to bring out the best in the people around them. BRAVO to all!
Well, again, I do not deserve your praise Steve, but I will echo your sentiments toward Steve and Ryan. They are about as straight of shooters as you will find out there and have their guitars dialed in to their Kinnaird sound which is a great one!

Now in terms of world class luthiers let's add a little ole' Alabama boy named Steve!!! That new Eclipse model is out of this world, man I wish I could play that bad boy!!!! You have got to get a recording set up going to get your sound out to the masses!!!!
Old 11-18-2016, 04:24 PM

Default Sides

The sides got bent today before a little storm knocked the power out at the shop. I know people have seen a hot pipe before, but I put this pic in because the sides were moistened with water for the bending and it gives a little glimpse of what the color may look like under finish...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop