The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 AM

Default Cordoba C5ce vs Lucero LFB250sce

Sorry this is so long winded.

I've been diligently working on eliminating a number of guitars on my nylon string list. There are 2 to which I am more favorably inclined. At my closest GC I tried out a number of guitars that looked good on spec. Surprisingly the Lucero LFB250sce impressed me and matched quite favorably in sound to the Cordoba C5ce.

I'm looking for input on how satisfied I might be long term with these two guitars. I am a steel string player, and now a beginner fingerstyle player. I don't want to invest too much in a guitar, but I want to be happy with the sound and playability while having confidence that if I need tech support I can count on both makers. Here is a rundown of what I found:

Sound: Lucero had a very good sound. Cordoba sounded pretty darn good, but the strings were sadly in need of a string change, so overall it probably sounded worse than it should have.

Neck: The neck on the Lucero was easier to play - more like a crossover. Cordoba's neck was fine but just would take a bit more getting used to.

Electronics: Both have Fishman pickups (Lucero has Fishman Classica III, 3 band, phase, tuner; Cordoba has a Fishman Isys+ 2 band pickup, tuner).

Strings: The strings on the Lucero are D'addario; Cordoba has Savarez high tension strings.

Tuners and buttons: Lucero tuners okay, tuning buttons cheesy looking and a bit uncomfortable; Cordoba tuners seemed okay, buttons definitely more aesthetically pleasing and better feeling.

Price: Lucero on sale at $297, Cordoba on sale $349 Price is not the issue.

Any thoughts from you folks who have experience with these two guitars? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 AM

I wouldn't touch either one. Recommend saving up for a nice classical. It will be worth it.

https://youtu.be/rtAfvMUJGcA

Last edited by Song; 06-28-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: video
Old 06-29-2016, 06:24 AM

I suggest that you ask for new strings to be installed on the Cordoba to see if it changes your opinion. Then buy the guitar that speaks to you.

Both guitars are in your price range and will make you happy for now.

My hunch is that at some time in the future, you are going to want to upgrade to higher quality guitars.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-29-2016, 08:58 AM

I found another music store that has a c5, c7 and f7 paco that I can demo. Perhaps one of those will speak to me. I am interested in seeing how the flamenco model plays versus the standard classical.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I found another music store that has a c5, c7 and f7 paco that I can demo. Perhaps one of those will speak to me. I am interested in seeing how the flamenco model plays versus the standard classical.
It should have lower action, with a drier, snappier, more percussive tone. But I've found that in sub-$1,000 guitars, most flamencos don't sound/play all that different than classicals. I've even experienced some of that in sub-$2K guitars. I've bottomed-out the saddles on several of my Cordoba flamencos, as well as tweaked the truss rod, and I even detune those instruments after every playing session to keep as much flamenco buzz in them as I can (since that's what I want). But if you're looking for a responsive guitar, that sounds good for classical pieces, then the less expensive flamencos may work for you just fine with the factory setup. A decently-made flamenco is lightly-braced and responsive, and can sound and feel a lot more "lively" than a comparable classical. My Cordoba F10 isn't more of a canon than my C12, but it feels livelier when played. Both are wonderful instruments though. I got my F10 in mint condition from an ebay seller (AcousticSales I believe) for $614 shipped. One of the best acoustic buys I've made and well worth it. I choose to play it most of the time over my much more expensive FWCE and FCE55 LTD flamencos.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 AM

it seems that I am just the opposite... LOL

I adjusted the truss rod on my Cordoba GK Pro to have a slight bit of neck relief to minimize the buzzing & lowered the saddle to reduce the action.

I'm constantly amazed at the sound and playability.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 07-04-2016, 05:48 PM

I purchased Cordoba C5ce last year,didn`t have much cash after buying a new 22 channel board,and it plays well and records Great!!. For the Money it`s a No Brainer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical