The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Default Recording setup for practice

Looking for guidance and equipment recommendations for a simple recording setup. My main interest right now is to simply record my playing during practice so I can then stop and really, critically listen to my sound during playback.

I use a MacBook Pro (which currently has GarageBand '09, I think), and I'm playing a Gibson J-45. Also recently acquired a Fishman Loubox Artist. One of my main questions is whether it would be better to work out a direct connection from the J-45 to the amp through an interface to the laptop, or if it's preferable to mike the amp instead.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM

For what you’re doing I’d recommend a Zoom H4N (handheld recorder with excellent, near studio quality mics) or a Zoom Q3HD (basically the H4N with HD video). You simply record, then download to your device and manipulate however you see fit. Quick, easy, portable, with excellent sound quality, and can be taken anywhere.

Most of the videos on our channel were done with the Q3HD. Here's the most recent: http://youtu.be/e6DzmeL7Q2g

This would definitely be a good practice aid.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
For what you’re doing I’d recommend a Zoom H4N (handheld recorder with excellent, near studio quality mics) or a Zoom Q3HD (basically the H4N with HD video).
Hi MM...

Actually, it's more like the original H2 audio recorder, than either an H4 or H4n audio recorder. I have owned every Zoom H series except the H1, and the H4n has dual Neutrik inputs (XLR or 1/4'' in) and the Q3 has none, and multiple mic angles (the Q3 is fixed at 120°), and can record 4 channel sound, surround sound, or just plain old stereo.

I'm guessing the Q3 is a fine small video recorder, but it is not as sophisticated on the audio ends as it's cousins.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM

Yep, I said "basically" because I'm not really sure what the differences are. Thanks for clarifying.
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibwr View Post
Looking for guidance and equipment recommendations for a simple recording setup. My main interest right now is to simply record my playing during practice so I can then stop and really, critically listen to my sound during playback.
Hi gibwr...

I guess my question after reading your post is whether you want to analyze the tone of your setup, or the quality of your performance? Or both?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM

More the quality of my performance... but it would be nice to have a sense for the tone as well. The recommendations for portables like the Zoom are interesting... hadn't really considered that option. I'd only been looking at interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibwr View Post
More the quality of my performance... but it would be nice to have a sense for the tone as well. The recommendations for portables like the Zoom are interesting... hadn't really considered that option. I'd only been looking at interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
We have a 2i2 as well. The problem with that route is all the peripherals it requires. Mics, cables, stands, software, external hard drives, etc. There's also a pretty steep learning curve in terms of getting the best sound, building a quality recording chain, etc.

Right now our 2i2 is basically collecting dust because we don't have all the "auxilliary equipment" to support it. Not saying you don't want to go down that road (recording is fun!) but for what you're doing, it may be overkill. The Zoom option obviously comes with a bit of a learning curve as well (like any new gizmo), but aside from that it's more or less a self contained plug and play unit.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Very cool.. thanks! I'll have to watch some of the demo videos when I get home.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM

If you don't care about multi-tracking, the Zoom H2 is hard to beat.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
We have a 2i2 as well. The problem with that route is all the peripherals it requires. Mics, cables, stands, software, external hard drives, etc. There's also a pretty steep learning curve in terms of getting the best sound, building a quality recording chain, etc.

Right now our 2i2 is basically collecting dust because we don't have all the "auxilliary equipment" to support it. Not saying you don't want to go down that road (recording is fun!) but for what you're doing, it may be overkill. The Zoom option obviously comes with a bit of a learning curve as well (like any new gizmo), but aside from that it's more or less a self contained plug and play unit.
Let me suggest that the common "requirement" for a second hard disk for recording is (in my experience) an obsolete one. Perhaps if you're trying to manage 20 or more tracks, or use gigabytes of samples, an external disk provides some value, but I record and edit audio on a dual core system with one hard drive and 2 GB RAM and have never experienced any issues that would have been improved with a second disk.

But you do need mic stands <grin>.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM

Fran, you haven't seen the computer we're trying to use, LOL. We just don't have the storage space (it's a 30GB hard drive, and it's almost completely full).

I do see your point though. For us it's mostly just about the storage space. We don't have much left.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:50 PM

when I want to record a practice session I use 1 of 2 options, I have a Boss BR 600 recorder that has stereo built in mics that produce a pretty good sound, we'll use this if we are going to record several songs to listen back and analyze the arrangements. If we are just working out sections for a new song I'll record it with the Voice Memos App on my I phone, I just set it on the table and press record, it gets a surprisingly good recording and is easy to send the file to other band members. Neither is super good quality for recording, but if all you want is to hear the arrangements, it works well for us.
1987 Yamaha FG460S

My Band
http://thehenhouseroosters.weebly.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Picked up an H4N last night. I'll spend some time this weekend putting it through its paces.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD