The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM

Default Closed Back Headphones: Need Amp?

I am willing to spend $300-$400 on a nice set of closed back headphones. But even the Sennheiser's I am looking at seem to require a driver (amp).

Is this true of all closed back headphones? Are there any closed back headphones that do not require a driver and are they worth looking at?

Thank you again for your input!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I am willing to spend $300-$400 on a nice set of closed back headphones. But even the Sennheiser's I am looking at seem to require a driver (amp).

Is this true of all closed back headphones? Are there any closed back headphones that do not require a driver and are they worth looking at?

Thank you again for your input!
You need a headphone amplifier to use headphones. Most are added to other gear, e.g., most recording computer interfaces, Pendulum Audio SPS-1, Rane AP13, Presonus MP20. There are some free standing headphone amplifiers, i.e., all they do is amplify a line level signal for headphone use.

What will you be using the headphones for? If for tracking, which is perhaps the only reason to use closed back headphones, you needn't spend that much for that function. If for mixing, referencing or pleasure listening, you should consider open back headphones, as they will generally be more accurate and realistic than closed back headphones.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You need a headphone amplifier to use headphones. Most are added to other gear, e.g., most recording computer interfaces, Pendulum Audio SPS-1, Rane AP13, Presonus MP20. There are some free standing headphone amplifiers, i.e., all they do is amplify a line level signal for headphone use.

What will you be using the headphones for? If for tracking, which is perhaps the only reason to use closed back headphones, you needn't spend that much for that function. If for mixing, referencing or pleasure listening, you should consider open back headphones, as they will generally be more accurate and realistic than closed back headphones.
I will be using them for recording/tracking. Yes, I LOVE how realistic the AKG 702 open back headphones are, but there is just too much bleeding.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will be using them for recording/tracking. Yes, I LOVE how realistic the AKG 702 open back headphones are, but there is just too much bleeding.
Tracking headphones should be closed back headphones to minimize bleed. Tracking headphones need not be high end headphones. $50 will get you there fast.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Tracking headphones should be closed back headphones to minimize bleed. Tracking headphones need not be high end headphones. $50 will get you there fast.
Ah, I thought you meant recording when you said tracking...learning curve!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ah, I thought you meant recording when you said tracking...learning curve!
Yeah, tracking and recording are kinda of same thing - real time listening while performing with the red light on.

Anyway, my point was that using headphones during recording/tracking is not a critical listening situation so there is little need for high end closed back headphones for that function.

Now, there is an exception to that. If using headphones to help position mics before recording, using nice headphones is a good idea. However, you can use your nice openback headphones for that function, although you will need to change them before you hit the record button.

Also, consider recording without headphones at all. They aren't required, and arguably are not necessary, and (to some) they interfere with recording, unless you are adding tracks to previously recording tracks and need to sync with those previously recorded tracks - then they are required.

All other things being equal, I would suggest investing the additional funds in the nearfield monitors. Those are important - very important.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, tracking and recording are kinda of same thing - real time listening while performing with the red light on.

Anyway, my point was that using headphones during recording/tracking is not a critical listening situation so there is little need for high end closed back headphones for that function.

Now, there is an exception to that. If using headphones to help position mics before recording, using nice headphones is a good idea. However, you can use your nice openback headphones for that function, although you will need to change them before you hit the record button.

Also, consider recording without headphones at all. They aren't required, and arguably are not necessary, and (to some) they interfere with recording, unless you are adding tracks to previously recording tracks and need to sync with those previously recorded tracks - then they are required.

All other things being equal, I would suggest investing the additional funds in the nearfield monitors. Those are important - very important.
This is a good point, and one I asked initially. But I will tell you, as a singer, the headphones really help. I never would have believed it, until I started using my earplugs and then got the AKG headphones. It really helps staying focused.

Oh well, you have answered my question. Sounds like all the closed back headphones require an amp. So, it's on to interface searching now! Hello Apogee!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 AM

Heres what I use. Love it.

http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/...uct/headamp_4/

Cheap too, about 70 bucks. Adds 15 dB of gain. Thats enough to bust an eardrum so be careful!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD