The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 AM

Default Computer choice advice

I'm fortunate that I've been granted $450 cash to buy a computer. I'd like to taylor my choice to something that would work well as part of my DAW. I'm not looking to do anything that is really track heavy, and I'm not using much software. Just looking for suggestions for operating systems and what not. Thanks. I know thats a limited budget for a DAW computer.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 AM

Your choice of DAW might have some impact on the choice of machine. If it were me I'd say get a 2nd hand Mac mini. Small, powerful and no fan noise!!!

Having said that I'm going to record the next CD on my iPad!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache79 View Post
I'm fortunate that I've been granted $450 cash to buy a computer. I'd like to taylor my choice to something that would work well as part of my DAW. I'm not looking to do anything that is really track heavy, and I'm not using much software. Just looking for suggestions for operating systems and what not. Thanks. I know thats a limited budget for a DAW computer.
Actually RME just revamped the Babyface to work in class-compliant mode, meaning it works on iPad. I just bought one and will test this shortly. If it works as well as advertised, the ipad would be my bet for 450 bucks.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Probably a PC at that price range. IMO an IPad would be a very poor choice - small screen, lack of real keyboard, limited memory, limited inputs and outputs, etc.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Yeah, for $450 I'd be shopping craigslist for a used Intel i5 or i7-based machine. OS would probably have to be PC.

Do you already have monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers? If not, this is going to be realllly tough.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Look at the Dell Outlet, both Home and Business. Check the coupons, clearances and special offers there. I have bought about a dozen desktops and laptops there over the years for home or for organizations I volunteer for, and often gotten very good deals.

You can still find some Windows 7 machines there if Windows 8 is not to your taste.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 PM

Linux & build your own computer is one of the best value options. Linux doesn't have as wide a range of soft synths and FX as Mac and Windows, or the same hardware support but if you can live with that it does have an excellent DAW: Ardour (also supports mac) and JACK provides a solid, reliable platform for pro-audio.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD