The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2014, 02:13 PM

Default Recommendations for Discontinued Taylor SB's

My Taylor SB classic came with mini buckers. Any suggestions as to who's full size humbucker would be a good replacement. I suspect we'll hear these answers in the not so distant future. It would be good to know which sound the best and are the easiest to retrofit. Also I need to replace my pots. I don't think I'll go with the Taylors since I didn't get much life out of the stock parts. What do members think might work well in this situation? Also, what other improvements can be made to these already fine instruments? I am very interested in what using other manufacturers parts will do to the Taylor Warranty. I can't see owners being penalized for this unfortunate turn of events in any way. This might be an opportunity to create some really great combinations!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
...I didn't get much life out of the stock parts...I am very interested in what using other manufacturers' parts will do to the Taylor warranty. I can't see owners being penalized for this unfortunate turn of events in any way...
I'm in a similar situation, except that it was the POS powdered pot-metal bridge assembly on my Custom that went south about a year ago, as I was attempting to lower the action; interestingly enough, I suspect that they knew that it was a potential problem from the get-go since they posted a caveat to this effect on their website. A replacement pot of any kind - even if temporary - will at least permit you to continue playing, whereas the bridge assembly was unique to the Taylor solids and not interchangeable with anything else on the market; I haven't gotten around to doing the fix, and I just hope that they've still got one in stock otherwise I'm out $2K+ on an otherwise dead-mint condition guitar. FWIW, I have a gut feeling that Bob T. is going to be facing a lot of bad press over this whole debacle; if auto manufacturers can stockpile replacement parts for ten years after a new model comes to market, I fail to see why the same couldn't/shouldn't have been done here...
Old 01-19-2014, 02:41 PM

as far as the pickups, you may want to check with seymour duncan as they carry a shipload of different ones. they may even be able to make you ones you'd like.

with the pots, you could check with mojotone, allparts, allied, parts express, amplified parts, tubesandmore, ebay, etc. i'm sure others will list where to get them.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM

Default Bob T

I've been tip toeing around this . But you are correct! Bob Taylor should be accountable for making sure those of us who invested in his new design are at least provided parts for the immediate future. I said I'm disappointed. Man, that's an understatement. Does this guy think we're made of money? It escapes all reason why we can't pick up the phone and order loaded pickgards right now. This is especially true if they "donated" most of the discontinued stock. I heard that second hand so i'm not sure how true it is. I'm all for philanthropy, but we are paying customers. Bob Taylor's silence on this matter is deafening! Me thinks this is a real PR fiasco for Taylor. Rightly so. I just re-read the March 2012 Guitar Buyer Article that sang the praises of the SB Taylors. Who could have known that in less than a year these guitars would blink out of the time space continuum.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM

I had persistent bad electrical contact problems with mine which I've never had on another electric. It got to the point where I'd have to preemptively open it for contact reseating before I played. The person I sold it to ripped out all the Taylor wiring and hard wired it instead. It did sound nice but materials quality didn't seem that high, and I say that as someone who generally likes Taylor acoustics.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Problems

I never had any electronic issues until this month. I was getting a nice crisp clean signal and good bass tones out of the tone control and good diliniation of volume settings. Out of nowhere, my volume was either on or off. Reminds me of my old Hagstromm ll with the old light switches. Mt Tone control does nothing and its all bass. For me to get back to the original clean tone i have to back off my bass completely on the guitar and amp and turn up the treble all the way. I actually, like the sound I can get that way, but it can't be healthy for my amp! i just put an ad on Craigslist to see if i can find some loaded pickguards.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Cocobologist

Have you called Taylor customer service? They would probably be able to help you out...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Default Gutch

Hello old friend! I've called Taylor's service department several times. Knowing how service oriented they are, it was the first thing I did. I guess that's why I'm so disappointed. They don't seem to be handling this the Taylor Way.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

I've just sent you a PM sent.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

You know, I have to admit when I first saw your posts about this, Storm Bringer, that I thought you were making a bit of a meal of it.

The more I've read, however, and the more I've thought about it, the more I think that this reflects really badly on Taylor. These guitars were not cheap - they represent a substantial investment of anyone's money, regardless of how well-to-do you might be. It seems to me that they have done a pretty piss-poor job of ensuring enough parts availability to support those who *did* take the plunge, and, at the very least, owe you a more considered response than what you seem to be getting.

"The answer is no. Now, what's the question?"
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Did you buy the guitar new or used? Is it still under any warranty?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 AM

if anyone has a location for pickups or loaded pick guards or a definite non-taylor pickup replacement please let me know. I have a classic and a standard and play both a lot. I am not having any issues but would definitely like to know of sources for replacements.

BTW: I have spoken to Taylor and they say that they will no longer sell parts, pickups etc for the SBs but that they have maintained a stock of parts for warranty repair.

Mike
2010 Taylor T5 Custom
2008 Taylor Solid Body (Standard SB2)
2007 Taylor Solid Body (Classic SB1)
1999 Fender Am STD Hardtail Strat
Old 01-30-2014, 09:07 PM

Default Thanks for understanding

It's the principle of the thing! Mr customer Service, just didn't care about this particular segment of Customer! I spoke with my Luthier today, that Taylor also tole me is a registered Taylor repair man. He was amazed but not surpirzed by Taylor's Actions. He said taylor has a history of leaving the consumer in the learch. Great R&D! but things are released and discontinued. He used the switch for the 3 Volt to the 9 volt ES and the NT neck as examples. All good ideas. All gone. Upon thinking about it he's right. i spent lots of dough on stuff that was told was the best there is and customer service that was supposed to be second to none. I think their stuff was greta. But, why don't they support us? thinkit's time for the hype about how "responsive" to customer's needs should be understood as pure marketing. There big company now, and they don't care who they step on to stay that way. I never thought i'd say that. The Luthier said
the least they could have done was announce the demise of the SB line and give people a window of opportunity to get what they needed. We got silence. He also said, you'd never catch Martin doing some thing like this. I feel like my heroes have feet of clay.

Last edited by Sword Bringer; 01-31-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 PM

Default No PG's

Apparnetly, since i was the Paul Revere or better Richard Dawes of this issue, i alerted everyone to snatch up any available pickgards they could find. A company in Missouri told me they put seven guards on E-Bay sunday and they were all gone in hours. I've been looking a E-Bay for weeks. I didn't on sunday and apparently missed my chance to get what I needed.

I'M SURE THIS WILL CHANGE BUT THERE's NOW 3 PAGES TO THIS TOPIC.

Last edited by Sword Bringer; 01-31-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Notice of change.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword Bringer View Post
It's the principle of the thing! Mr customer Service, just didn't care about this particular segment of Customer! I spoke with my Luthier today, that Taylor also tole me is a registered Taylor repair man. He was amazed but not surpirzed by Taylor's Actions. He said taylor has a history of leaving the consumer in the learch. Great R&D! but things are released and discontinued. He used the switch for the 3 Volt to the 9 volt ES and the NT neck as examples. All good ideas. All gone. Upon thinking about it he's right. i spent lots of dough on stuff that was told was the best there is and customer service that was supposed to be second to none. I think their stuff was greta. But, why don't they support us? thinkit's time for the hype about how "responsive" to customer's needs should be understood as pure marketing. There big company now, and they don't care who they step on to stay that way. I never thought i'd say that. The Luthier said
the least they could have done was announce the demise of the SB line and give people a window of opportunity to get what they needed. We got silence. He also said, you'd never catch Martin doing some thing like this. I feel like my heroes have feet of clay.
How is going from 3v to 9v a bad thing? And isn't Taylor still using the NT neck? Sounds like the tech was upset that a neck reset went from a couple Benajmin's to a couple Hamilton's after the NT came out. Bottom line, it stinks when stuff we like gets discontinued. Electric guitars are a saturated market, as are acoustics. Rather than dumping resources in what I would consider Taylor's little hobby, I'm sure they realized it's not who they are and from the looks of things they are putting their resources into new and refreshed products. Does that make them a terrible company who did a disservice to their customers? I don't think so as original owners will still get warranty service. I can't say I recall ever receiving notice that accessories to products I own would be discontinued. I guess the bottom line is make some great music on the guitar and enjoy it up. Otherwise retire it off and and add something new to the stable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars