The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 AM

Default more strat questions

Ok, so if the VG Strat is a little expensive and possibly not the best buy....
I got another question. Is the extra money for an American Deluxe worth the cost over an American Standard?

I really have it in my mind that I want a Strat. I just don't have the experience with electrics to know any better.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:33 AM

The main difference seems to be the pickups (noiseless SCN's) and the S1 switching. I lot of people like those pickups; some don't. You really have to play it yourself to see if it is something you like. If you like those pickups it would certainly be cheaper to buy the deluxe rather than mod the Standard.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250
Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Most important thing IMHO, is how well you like the guitar. With Fender these days, the quality of even the USA-made instruments is pretty uneven. Go to a store that has a lot of Strats and play them all until you find a good one.

As far as the pickups go, the new SCN/S1 system is pretty good for a noiseless system, but I wouldn't let that be the only criteria. For another $250, you can replace the crappy stock pickups with a set of Fralins or something like that which will sound much better than anything Fender makes.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Qui Plantavit Curabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle1 View Post
Most important thing IMHO, is how well you like the guitar. With Fender these days, the quality of even the USA-made instruments is pretty uneven. Go to a store that has a lot of Strats and play them all until you find a good one.

As far as the pickups go, the new SCN/S1 system is pretty good for a noiseless system, but I wouldn't let that be the only criteria. For another $250, you can replace the crappy stock pickups with a set of Fralins or something like that which will sound much better than anything Fender makes.
Good advice all around.

"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy."
--Samuel Adams
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 AM
.tom the übergeek

I have owned 4 USA Strats in the past several years. The American Deluxe is my favorite of all of them. The neck feels great. I have long since swapped out the pickups and that is part of the beauty of the Stratocaster.

As an aside, it is no longer my #1 guitar. It is wonderful but my PRSi have taken me places I never would have gone with my Strats. I also find myself grabbing my ESP Vintage Plus (a reliced Strat) more often now too. It is a great guitar for that Strat Tone.

Now all that said, if financial situations forced me to one guitar, it would likely be that Deluxe Strat. I can go 95% of where I need to be with that one guitar and do so really well.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Default strat

I have the American Deluxe and replaced the pickups with custom shop 57's.

Switched back to the noiseless.

I didn't like the hum and distortion for church.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
I didn't like the hum and distortion for church.
You should never hum in church.
And by the way, I have a Ferdinand Tele copy and that hum drives my absolutely crazy. So I'm thinkin' some noiseless pick ups may be in my future.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:19 AM

If you aren't dead set in getting a Fender, you might want to check out G&L guitars. Particularly the legacy or S-500. Even the import models are pretty good (and have american PUs in them). And btw, the L in G&L stands for Leo [Fender] who formed this company and stayed with it until his death. Only downside is i believe Fender PUs and G&L PUs aren't compatible; you'd have to modify your guitar a bit if you want to put in Fender PUs.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedd View Post
I got another question. Is the extra money for an American Deluxe worth the cost over an American Standard?

I really have it in my mind that I want a Strat. I just don't have the experience with electrics to know any better.
Some people feel that the "Deluxe" is worth the extra $$ over the "Standard"...some don't. Just go to your local music store and try out as many "Strats" as you can. You might even like a "Mexican" made Strat or even a "Squier" Strat.
Seriously, take your time to find the right guitar for you. Taking people's advice is good, but in the end, YOU are the one who'll be playing that guitar. Use YOUR judgement!
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedd View Post
Ok, so if the VG Strat is a little expensive and possibly not the best buy....

If you like the pickups on the deluxe buy it. If not buy an American Standard and install picups that you like. I just got a 2013 American Standard Strat and I love the Fat 50's pickups.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM
.tom the übergeek

This thread is from 2007. I sincerely hope the OP is not still looking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars