The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Default Eric Clapton strings on Mahogony guitar?

Anyone tried the Eric Clapton Martin Light strings on something like my 000-18 mahogany/spruce Martin. I know they were designed for his signature 000-28EC and 000-42EC which both have rosewood back and sides with spruce tops. I'm just curious how these might be different than regular lights- I think I read that they are wound on a round core.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM

According to Martin the Eric Clapton strings should not be used on anything but the 000-28EC model, apparently it has too much "mojo" for other guitars.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 AM

What kind of alloy are they? I tend to like Phosphor Bronze on Mahogany-backed guitars more than 80-20s.

You could always try a set and see if you like them. Strings are (relatively) cheap)

TW
Old 04-26-2012, 11:33 AM

They are Phosphor Bronze, I forgot to order a set when I just ordered a bunch of EJ16's wonder why Martin made the EC version, makes me wonder if they had to to get the 000-28EC to sound right, that seems like a lot of bother just as a marketing gimmic. Then again if they're special... LOL.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
According to Martin the Eric Clapton strings should not be used on anything but the 000-28EC model, apparently it has too much "mojo" for other guitars.
I think this is marketing hype. They're just strings. I tried a couple of sets on my '64 Gibson Everly (maple body) and they sounded just fine. But I didn't see anything special about them that made me prefer them to Martin's regular bronze strings.

Jack
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM

I would assume they are just regular Martin strings with EC's name & face on them. Personally I like the regular old Martin SP's in 80/20 bronze...mostly because they are only $4.49 a set at the local music store.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannieA View Post
... signature 000-28EC and 000-42EC which both have rosewood back and sides with spruce tops. ... .
Wow, maybe that explains something! Back when I was in the market for a new, good guitar, the 000-28EC was the only other one that kept pulling me back to GC to play it again. I wound up getting a J-45 rosewood at another shop. Who knew, maybe it was the rosewood that was calling to me.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Default strings

I've heard that there are only 4 companies that actually make strings. All the brands come from those 4. Basically, strings are strings.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Well, there is a 5th string company. But, of course, that is secret.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM

Well looking at the EC strings and the basic phosphor bronze, they have the same everything in their specs so there couldn't be that much difference other than special packaging.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:19 AM

Default Clapton's Choice: A Marketing Gimmick!

Long ago, when I was learning about guitar strings, I called up Dave Collins. He is a string technician at Martin Guitars, and is one of the experts in the field.

Clapton's Choice strings are exactly the same as 'regular' Martin strings and also Darco Strings. When you buy Clapton's Choice strings, you are paying an extra few dollars for his picture on the box: the strings are all identical.

Clapton's Choice and Darco are only available in extra-light, light and medium gauges. Martin regular strings also have a light medium string, the M545 (phosphor bronze) and M515 (80/20). The phosphor bronze are better strings in the long run. Better tone and will last longer than 80/20. That said, many like the old timey sound of 80/20s when they have faded out and are borderline dull.

There is no string made for a specific model guitar. As one other poster wisely said, strings are strings.

There are more than 4 manufacturers of strings, however. Mapes makes most of the core wires for all of the manufacturers in the USA. So far as I know D'Addario does not own any foundries, nor does Martin, etc.

So what differentiates the different strings is the formulation of the wrap-wires that are on the lower 4 strings. Anyone who has played, for example, D'Addario phosphors and then DR Sunbeams can hear the difference right away. That is the difference - the different wrap-wires will affect the way the instrument sounds.

As for manufacturers (which basically put the wrap-wires on the core wires and then package the strings) here are the ones I believe do their own winding: D'Addario, Martin, GHS, D'Aquisto, John Pearse,Adamas, LaBella and maybe Elixir.

It is well known that the above companies will create strings sets for other brands, such as Dean Markley (D'Addario), Dr. Duck's, Gibson, Everly (probably), Dunlop, D'Angelico and a long list of other brands.

The I am sure that Tomastik-Infeld and Pyramid strings are companies that do their own windings also - and they have very fine quality control. I have no idea where there core wires come from, but they are probably either Swedish or German steel in origin.

I am clueless about Rotosound, Sadowsky and some other brands. I just don't know if they make their own, or if someone else makes them.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Cool, thank you.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM

I love the FX strings, and have used light and custom lights, on my mahogany guitar, and I have used the Clapton strings as well, and they sound great. The FX strings feel a bit easier on my fingers.

I am one who likes to change strings every few weeks, so I wait for a sale and then pounce on a bunch of the strings that I like. Right now, after a period of various testing, I find myself back to the FX strings that I love.

Others here have encouraged me to try new strings, which has been a valuable education for me.

In terms of sound, I agree with what was already written: I don't have the most discerning ear, but the Clapton strings sound and feel like the regular Martin strings like Acoustic SP (in the red/black box).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion