The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-11-2014, 03:04 PM

As others said..too many to choose from. The last best meal was at Merrimans at Kapalua on Maui last October. Food is as good as the view...sunsets, food and drink don't get much better. An added plus is live entertainment in the Marriman's bar every night and its a short walk to a fantastic slack key guitar show on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Aloha.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 04-11-2014, 03:18 PM

When I think of my best food experiences, I usually recall trips where, night after night, my wife and I had food that was delightful and a bit surprising...so that means trips to a region of the US, or to another country. I have a particular fondness when I reflect on a series of fine meals in little towns in France (with the standout restaurant being L'Esperance in Vezelay) when we went there in the mid90's; also get warm feelings when I think about multiple fine meals in various cities and towns in Italy (including the best gelato I've ever had from a place in the edge of Lake Como), or on a different trip, multiple fine meals in Sicily (including a magical dining experience at Capofaro hotel on Isola Salina).

My wife is a fabulous cook, so I eat well when we are not vacationing. And having a few friends over for a quiet evening and sharing delicious food...hard to beat those experiences.

Favorite restaurant (for many years running) is Boulevard in San Francisco...we only get there once a year or so, but have been disappointed only once, and it was just a mild disappointment. Also very much enjoy dining at Poggio in Sausalito (was just there for Valentine's Day!).

Also love the little surprises that happen from time to time: places that I remember, but couldn't find my way back to them: an amazing little Mexican restaurants in the Mission District if SF, memorable lobster roles at a little shack when we pulled off the highway at lunch time when traveling through southern Maine, startlingly good Korean food someplace in downtown LA, scrumptious fried clams from some shack on Cape Cod.

I'm hungry...I'm going to start making dinner!
Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM

Le Papillon in San Jose, CA - not sure how well known it is outside of San Jose/Silicon Valley, but they have fantastic food. The location leaves a little to be desired, but for the pure dining experience, it's wonderful.

Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino, CA - great food, wonderful, cozy atmosphere, and - hey - you're in one of the most beautiful locations in the country.

Pink's Hot Dogs in Los Angeles - I gotta throw this one in. I'm a sucker for a good chili dog, and they have GREAT chili dogs.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCave View Post
We discovered "Local Ocean" on the waterfront in New Port, Oregon. Finest seafood on the planet most of which comes from local waters. They have been discovered so there is always a wait...
+1!! That place is out-freaking-standing!
The Carnegie deli in NYC is out if this world good too.
Best fine dining I've restaurant I've ever been to is called The Brewster Inn in Cazenovia NY. Just ridiculously good and their Oyster bar is to die for.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 PM

The one that stands out in my memory is an Indian restaurant in Rome that I used to go to with my ex-girlfriend. Most English people "go for an Indian" from time to time or more, and Indian restaurants in England, or at least the ones commonly frequented, tend to be reasonably cheap and cheerful. In Italy, however, Indian = exotic, and the restaurants take a more haute cuisine approach. The house dinner at this particular one was a sheer delight. There must have been about 8 courses, but each one was quite small. The dishes were varied and exquisitely made. I was on pretty good pay in Rome, but, even so, it wasn't the kind of place we went to every weekend. It was a real treat for the taste buds when we did go, though!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Guest 2563

I've been fortunate to have eaten some incredible food in my lifetime.Some of it obscenely expensive,some from the local pizza joint on the boardwalk.
Yet as I grow older I have come to long for the cooking my mom prepared with her tired,loving hands night after night.Simple fare for sure, but so flavorful I can't figure out to this day how she did that.I was blessed and didn't even know it.

Ron
Old 04-11-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
The Carnegie deli in NYC is out if this world good too.
We ate there! I forgot about that place. Great food and humongous portions. the owner says if a customer doesn't have food left over, they didn't give him enough. The only thing I don't like is they don't let you take home a "doggie bag." I hate to waste food.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Sunday dinner at grandmas
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 PM

When I was a child, my nanny fried the best chicken ever. That might be the best thing I have ever eaten. She also made an outstanding shrimp and grits.

The best restaurant meals I have ever eaten were at Sweatman's BBQ. I have been driving an hour to eat BBQ since I was a kid. Unfortunately, it's ownership has changed and is nowhere near as good.

The best pizza I have ever had was a little corner restaurant in Naples.

I have been a part of many crazy expensive meals in my life, but I would rather eat what I listed above.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 PM

El Fornaio facing the ocean in San Diego. Gosh, it was wonderful.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:56 PM

The best meal? Halibut cheeks at Anthony's Hearthfire Grill in Bellingham, Washington.
The best restaurant? The American Restaurant in Kansas City, Missouri.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Eric Skye

French Laundry
Old 04-12-2014, 05:31 AM

I've had too many meals out to have a "favorite" restaurant.

There are several that I frequent and get good food and good service at.

Generally the BEST meals are the ones we have here at home or at the homes of family & friends. Where all the ingredients are fresh, especially the love.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Mmmm...

Restaurant? Prime Rib at Tandon's Pine Tree Inn in Virginia Beach, VA. It was a wonderful family restaurant with a homey eating area. They are closed now.

Best food experience? My wife has always been the best purveyor of home cooking around. Roasts, sauces, gravies. At one point in our lives she was also a professional baker. There was a time when she was baking all our bread and various specialty baked goods and cakes. But besides that, her sister married an Italian and together they learned to cook several excellent Italian dishes. When she moved South from New York she also became the best Southern cook anyone knew as well. Why can't restaurants get it right?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Why can't restaurants get it right?

Bob
Bob...sometimes we do!! I'd love to cook for you. In fact I'd love to host an AGF food/guitar fantasy fest...

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic