The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Using a thumb pick

I play fingerstyle using the flesh of the fingertips, as I cannot grow good nails. So, would using a thumbpick work for me? Any tips, if so? And, if so, what is a good pick? I don't play real fast, I use it mostly on ballads.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM

I've tried them (many different kinds) and have come to the conclusion that thumb picks are not for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM

I'm new to guitars and just starting out learning, so I don't know how much help I could be. That said, I too like using flesh only when noodling around. I just recently tried a thumb pick for the first time last week and found that it was way over powering on the low strings compared to the flesh of my fingers on the high strings... pretty much drowned out all the treble notes. I decided that playing softly with flesh was better for me, for now.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Try them.

Some tips: You will need to work to balance the sharp attack of the thumbpick and the dull attack of fingerflesh. There are several ways to do this; all require lots of concentrated practice. Wasper, you gave up way too soon.

If you want the bass notes to ring, either develop a light touch with your thumb or bring up the tone of the fingered strings with fingerpicks.

If you are playing blues, thwack that thumpick hard, and use the palm mute technique to dampen the bass strings.

Thumbpicks are cheap; experiment. Right now, I'm liking the HERCO EXTRA-HEAVY FLATPICK/THUMBPICK. Sometimes I like The Fred Kelly Bumblebee, and other times I like Fred Kelly's Slick Pick. I might prefer the Herco because it is heavier gauge than the Kellys that I have. Thicker pick = less jangly tone = good for bass notes.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM

It will be awkward at first. Keep using it, the sound will get better and using it will become easier.
Taylor GA3
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoid View Post
It will be awkward at first. Keep using it, the sound will get better and using it will become easier.
This is the bottom line, stick with it till you reach your comfort zone.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM

Another vote here for the Dunlop "Hercos" and Fred Kelly "Slick" picks. And, they DO take some time to get used to.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

I've played the Fred Kirby speed pick for years--ever since I saw Doyle Dykes. I really like them alot. Now I play just as good as Doyle.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
I've played the Fred Kirby speed pick for years--ever since I saw Doyle Dykes. I really like them alot. Now I play just as good as Doyle.
That would be Fred Kelley speed picks.

I'm blessed with paper nails so I've been using a Fred Kelley Heavy (white) speed pick for my thumb and ProPik Fingertone picks on my fingers. I had to try a bunch before I settled on these.

Buy 'em and try 'em or you'll just plain not know if they work for you!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
I play fingerstyle using the flesh of the fingertips, as I cannot grow good nails. So, would using a thumbpick work for me? Any tips, if so? And, if so, what is a good pick? I don't play real fast, I use it mostly on ballads.
Hi Bill...

They can be useful for increasing the clarity of the bass notes. For me they always start life too long, so I take them out to my bench grinder and shorten them like this (note the original pointy tip and my rounded & shortened ones). I smooth them with emery boards (the black more course foam-sandwich ones).

I normally play without, but for the rare song I need one, I can put one of my altered ones on and play without adapting my thumb position or stroke.

I'm not a Fred Kelly user because I don't want a substitute flat pick stuck to my thumb to flat pick with…I just want the bass notes a little clearer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Guest 2143

I have used National medium thumbpicks (brown ones) for a long time. They just happen to fit my thumb well. I agree with what other posters have said - give it some time and you might get used to using a thumbpick. Also, there are many different kinds, so you might want to experiment with different thumbpicks to see what works best for you in terms of fit and tone. I use fingerpicks as well (currently National nickel/silver) and feel as comfortable with them as I do without them. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM

You will, in time, develop calouses (spelling?) on your fingertips. This will give you the ability to increase playing volume and equalize thumb pick and finger tone and sound. If you play long enough to learn a few songs this will happen naturally.

First you will notice your finger tips getting sore......

Hope this helps,

David in TN
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM

I pretty much gave up on them. I know with little dedication i could probably make that jump but right now I have no patience for them. Some song really do sound great with a heavy thumpick, but some require softer touch.

Eltjo go into details here on how to make the change. Really good article; as all of his are.
http://www.eltjohaselhoff.com/Main/A...humb_pick.html
Old 01-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I learned to play at age 16 with a thumb pick, so after almost 48 years, it feels pretty natural to me. Since discovering the AGF I learned about the Fred Kelly Slick Picks and have adapted to them very quickly. I use Extra Heavy versions, which to me are still very flexible.

Most people I know who are guitar players have never adapted to the idea of a thumb pick, and that's OK, too. Whatever works for people. Me, I can't get good volume out of my thumb compared to a thumb pick. The volume from my thumb pick is closely matched by the volume from my short, stiff finger nails, so for me, I think the sound is fairly well balanced. But that's just me. I've heard lots of good players playing with bare thumb and fingertips sound terrific.

- Glenn
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM

After decades of playing fingerstyle with just my flesh, in 2011 I added fingerpicks/thumbpick to my playing, and it has made a world of difference. I still do some full flesh playing on some tunes, but mostly it's fingerpicks/thumbpick. I made the change after playing with a bunch of folks who used them, and discovering that I couldn't keep up with the volume, or the speed to some extent. Once I started using them, I realized the remarkable dynamic potential.

I settled on the Fred Kelly SlickPick (heavy) thumbpick and ProPik Fingertone fingerpicks after ordering a huge assortment of picks from Elderly and trying each combination until I found what worked best for me, and was the most natural transition form flesh. Then it took some time of simply playing most of my repertoire over and over again until my fingers could "remember" where to go. At first, it felt like ice skating with Rollerblades, but I got used ot it and am much happier with what I can do with the guitar.

It's funny, I can play all-flesh or all-picks interchangeably, but I cannot play with just a thumbpick and make it sound decent. I know a number of people who play with just a thumbpick, and they make it sound great, pretty much the way jwing described above.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion