The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Premier of "Fargo" TV Series

First episode last night was pretty good. Not as well done as the movie but definitely in the same vein. Billy Bob Thornton had the standout performance as a character that is both quirky and menacing at the same time. Martin Freeman goes from Dr. Watson to the downtrodden Midwestern male whose attempts to assert himself end in predictable disaster. Bob Odenkirk had a small role in the opener but did a credible job.

The story had some of the signature surprise plot twists of the Coen Bros and that was the strong part of the show. If there was a weakness, some of the actors attempts at the upper Midwest accent was a bit forced and not nearly as authentic as the movie that really nailed it. Too many "Oh Jeez's" to the point of overuse.

Overall, looks like a good series. Better'n most.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM

Got it DVR'ed. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as the movie but your comments make me hopeful it'll be worth watching. Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarre View Post
Got it DVR'ed. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as the movie but your comments make me hopeful it'll be worth watching. Thanks
If you liked the movie, You'll like the show.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Humanist

I had to explain to my wife the under-the-breath "uff da" that was uttered...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Yep. Got it dvr'd too. Looking forward to it.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM

I like it; it's nicely done and very much in the spirit of the movie. Thornton's character is especially good because he's so low-key and matter-of-fact; that makes for a much more interesting villain than when they're played over the top or in a manner that makes it plain that they're dangerous without saying a word.

I agree with HHP about the accents of some of the characters, which are accurate but sound a little too forced. Martin Freeman, however, is in top form.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
First episode last night was pretty good. Not as well done as the movie but definitely in the same vein. Billy Bob Thornton had the standout performance as a character that is both quirky and menacing at the same time. Martin Freeman goes from Dr. Watson to the downtrodden Midwestern male whose attempts to assert himself end in predictable disaster. Bob Odenkirk had a small role in the opener but did a credible job.

The story had some of the signature surprise plot twists of the Coen Bros and that was the strong part of the show. If there was a weakness, some of the actors attempts at the upper Midwest accent was a bit forced and not nearly as authentic as the movie that really nailed it. Too many "Oh Jeez's" to the point of overuse.

Overall, looks like a good series. Better'n most.
Like when Bilbo is going HAMMER HAMMER "ah jeez" HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER "ah jeez" HAMMER HAMMER "ah jeez" ? Yeah that was excessive , but I was laughing (and cringing).

This and the movie are so interestingly crafted; very engaging , to say the least. Done in a kind of way that makes me want to go read about about the actual events . When a TV show or movie does that, it's well done.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:44 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Like when Bilbo is going HAMMER HAMMER "ah jeez" HAMMER HAMMER HAMMER "ah jeez" HAMMER HAMMER "ah jeez" ? Yeah that was excessive , but I was laughing (and cringing).

This and the movie are so interestingly crafted; very engaging , to say the least. Done in a kind of way that makes me want to go read about about the actual events . When a TV show or movie does that, it's well done.

According to the Coen brothers, the story was complete fiction. They just made the "based on a true story" thing up. It sounded cool.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:24 AM

Excellent show. But, I don't know how they're going to keep this going thru 10 episodes, since they've already killed half the cast. After the hammer scene, my wife looked at me and asked, "You don't have any pent up hostility, do you?"
Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Excellent show. But, I don't know how they're going to keep this going thru 10 episodes, since they've already killed half the cast. After the hammer scene, my wife looked at me and asked, "You don't have any pent up hostility, do you?"
Without throwing a spoiler out there, the biggest surprise on the initial episode was that they spent a lot of time establishing one character and then killed him off.

Some of the previews indicate that the story will expand as the Fargo crime syndicate (?????) gets involved to keep their interests whole. I'm guessing it becomes a bad guys versus worse guys storyline.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 AM

Ya. Good start! Has the potential to be a pretty good show. Definitely gonna stay tuned on this one.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM

Folks, be careful with the spoilers, as some have already noted that they haven't watched the show yet and the word "spoiler" isn't in the thread title. You can hide spoilers by using white as the font color, to be read by clicking and dragging with the mouse. It's not perfect since the background color here isn't white and isn't available as a font color, but it makes the spoilers easy to ignore. An example:

SPOILERS - highlight between the dotted lines:
-------------------------------------
This is where you'd post the spoilers.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmusic View Post
Folks, be careful with the spoilers, as some have already noted that they haven't watched the show yet and the word "spoiler" isn't in the thread title. You can hide spoilers by using white as the font color, to be read by clicking and dragging with the mouse. It's not perfect since the background color here isn't white and isn't available as a font color, but it makes the spoilers easy to ignore. An example:

SPOILERS - highlight between the dotted lines:
This is where you'd post the spoilers.
I don't think it will matter much with this show. Its like Algebra, you can know the answer but the trick is figuring how to get there.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 PM

I enjoyed it....had some problems with the "negative 10" reference to the temp...up here, most folks would say "10 below".....otherwise, good show, especially Billy Bob....loved that line about the dragons....
Old 04-17-2014, 01:15 PM

What network is it on?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic