The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-12-2023, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Thanks Redcrow, I had the good fortune to be in the right place to purchase from Steve. He sent it out with the opportunity to try it at home before fully committing and the playability and tone sold me.

This is the thread when Steve was selling it. He made it as a spec guitar but I don't know if there is a build thread.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=6312666

I played his performance at B.I.G. this year and it was stellar sounding. I don't know how much difference the dual sound ports contribute and I'd be curious to compare them side by side. At any rate his performance is a lovely instrument you are in for a treat.
Thanks for the link. It is an awesome instrument. I didn't realize it was configured as a multi-scale guitar.

My build will hopefully come up mid-January after Steve finishes a couple other projects. Sounds so far away, but in reality, it's not long at all. We've already selected woods for the the top, bottom and sides. But there are still a number of things we have yet to work out, and we do stay in touch. So the time will go quickly. I've got a nice Kremona Classical guitar and an Eastman 10MCE steel string. So it's not like I'll be Jones'ing for something to play.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Right now, Steve is working on previously scheduled jobs. I'm just biding my time until he can turn his attention to my build. Actually, as mentioned earlier, we've selected wood for the sides and back. Beautiful stuff. Steve has also taken the time to pick out a couple candidates for the top. It's German Spruce, and it look marvelous.

https://flic.kr/p/2pfQu3V
https://flic.kr/p/2pfQxoC

These boards have been sanded with some 80 grit just enough to remove any saw marks. I love the medullary rays and Steve says both ring like a bell when tapped.

And the excitement builds...

Last edited by redcrow; 11-14-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2023, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Nothing new to report on my quilted Maple and German Spruce build. Steve's up to his elbows in a couple projects ahead of mine, one of which is fairly gnarly. My time will come. With the woods we've picked out, this is going to be a guitar well worth whatever wait time is necessary. Meantime, I have a vision of what the completed instrument will be to keep me entertained. My main job right now is to at least act like an adult and not pester the bejeezus out of Steve. On this Thanksgiving day, I'm so very grateful to have met him and to have him build my dream.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Still waiting, as patiently as possible, for my Maple/German Spruce EPS build to come to the top of the queue. It is getting closer since one of the more challenging jobs ahead of mine is near completion. It involved replacing the top on this guitar while preserving the original rosette and bridge. Not sure why the top needed replacement, but the marching orders on this endeavor included maintaining both the instrument's tone and it's appearance. I'd say he succeeded beautifully.

Just a couple other simpler projects ahead of mine. So things are moving forward nicely. Meantime, as the excitement builds, many, many thanks to Steve for keeping me informed.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

That one certainly is beautiful! And Steve is a great communicator, so you’ll always know what is happening. It be your turn soon enough, and then the fun begins.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-20-2023, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Steve is indeed a great communicator, and the message he sent me this morning was full of exciting news. He sent me a picture of a new cutout design

As you can see, it's a Florentine profile. It'll be flush with the neck heel. He asked my permission to try this newer design on my guitar. First of all, I love the look of such a cutout, and secondly, since it's a prototype, it won't add to the final cost of the instrument. So I enthusiastically said "YES!"

It turns out he has been considering asking me about it for a while, and since he's getting close to starting my build, he decided to ask now. I'm really excited about this development. He's already got the template and bending forms built. So the fun is already under way.
Old 12-20-2023, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile Mounting excitement…

Always cool to get a prototype! I like to think we are helping the builders refine their wares

Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/solstice/Festivus, and a happy new year!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-20-2023, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Always cool to get a prototype! I like to think we are helping the builders refine their wares

Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/solstice/Festivus, and a happy new year!

Paul
Yes, I like to think I'm contributing something, especially when I trust Steve to make it right, prototype or not. He's that kind of perfectionist.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Change of direction

Last night my wife and I were having a conversation about my upcoming guitar build, and I finally expressed some concerns I've had in the back of my mind for a couple weeks now. It comes to this. As dramatic as that highly figured back is, my fear is that it'll be darker than desired once finished. And trying to find a set of side boards that would really complement it wasn't going well.

So imagine my surprise when Steve emailed me this morning with the exact same concerns. Seems he'd wiped the back pieces and potential side board with some mineral spirits, and it was as I'd feared. Not good, but.... Fortunately, he still had a set of quilted Maple back and side boards that are nicely matched for figure and color and just as stunning. So this is the new set we be working with;

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty nice, yes? I think so. We've also settled on Ziricote for bindings, bridge, and fret board. The neck configuration is still coming together, but it'll be a couple weeks before the saw dusk begins to fly in earnest, so we've got time to sort that out. Given the similarity of our tastes, I don't foresee any difficulties.

Stay Tuned...
Old 01-03-2024, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Great choice for that wood! Working with Steve is such a treat!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

That set looks terrific! It'll be a pleasure to follow along : )
Old 01-03-2024, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Great choice for that wood! Working with Steve is such a treat!!
Yes he is!! The man loves his work and it shows. I do too!

DCN,
Thanks. Like I said, things won't get started in earnest for a couple more weeks. We'll be keeping a running pictorial log here one the build commences.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:54 PM

I love maple guitars in the hands of a good builder, they sound fantastic!
Old 01-03-2024, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Awesome set of maple--that should go crazy under finish!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I got a brief email from Steve yesterday evening. He's going to be tied up for a couple days attending to his health. However, he told me he's got the top and bottom halves joined, and the sides are being prepared for bending.

So construction of my new guitar has begun in earnest. If I were any more excited, I'd be glowing. No pictures yet, but I'm sure Steve will be sending me some soon.

It should be noted that this build commenced a couple weeks early. Not sure how that happened, but I'm certainly NOT complaining.

Stay tuned...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop