The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Default Dr Duck's Axwax vs Fret Doctor

So many options to treat a rosewood fingerboard and bridge. It's dry looking and needs to be conditioned/darkened, IMO. Anything I that is liquid, oil, etc will darken it enough for me. I've done this before with dunlop lemon oil and the usual suspects, with no ill side effects. But I'm trying to do the right thing by this particular ax. I've heard quite a few people chatting about these two products, but no one has compared them or I can't find the thread. Anyone have experience with both? Lets hear it! Anyone suggesting I stay away from either, lets hear it!

Thanks

Wes

Martin 00-15M Custom Gloss
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weslacho View Post
It's dry looking and needs to be conditioned/darkened, IMO.
This is not so, IMO. If you'd like to do this as a decorative measure, go right ahead. But your fretboard does not need this, and probably does not want this.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Default NO Dont

Save your money just play the thing your finger sweat is more then enough.Period.ship
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I don't often put anything on my fingerboards but when I do, it's Dr. Duck's. At the time I bought it, I was convinced that it was a good product. I don't remember all the details that led to that conclusion but I haven't seen anything suggesting otherwise. In general, though, I think less is more when it comes to putting any chemical compound on any part of a guitar. When I've used Dr. Duck's I've used very little and I don't do it very often.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Landru's correct, no need to "condition" or "oil" the board.

But, there's nothing wrong with darkening rosewood (boards and bridges) for cosmetics: it brings out the color and character of the wood and adds a bit of a sheen...very pretty! Some builders will treat their products this way before shipping to make them look more attractive. I use Fret Doctor, but any "oil" made specifically for guitars, or some general ones like 3-in-1, will work just fine.

Stay away from real fruit/vegetable oils that can go rancid, and don't over apply the application - a few drops rubbed in by fingers or a clean cloth, wiped dry, and repeated maybe 2x a year is about it.

The board and bridge of my 000-15S have darkened nicely over of the years:

Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

One Q-tip full of bore oil, every 3-4 years. Any more than that is overdoing it, and possibly causing other problems.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I have no idea what the truth is, but 10 years ago, I bought a bottle of Dr. Duck's Ax Wax and I still have more than half of it left. I've never had anything happen to suggest it doesn't do anything right or wrong and when I do my fretboards once a year after January 1st, I use so little that it's likely to last me forever.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
One Q-tip full of bore oil, every 3-4 years. Any more than that is overdoing it, and possibly causing other problems.
That would be my approach. I have to admit, it's for cosmetic reasons. I guess can tell myself it looks dry so it probably needs it, but that would be talking myself into something. I guess I'm mainly wondering what is the safest thing, if that can truly be known...

Martin 00-15M Custom Gloss
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
I have no idea what the truth is, but 10 years ago, I bought a bottle of Dr. Duck's Ax Wax and I still have more than half of it left. I've never had anything happen to suggest it doesn't do anything right or wrong and when I do my fretboards once a year after January 1st, I use so little that it's likely to last me forever.

+1 ..........and it works very well as long as you remember,"less is more"! J.D.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I have never been a fan of all those pricey products to dress fret boards or strings; always seemed to me that the less crap I put on them (especially strings), the better off the guitar will be...

That said, 40 years ago or so, a Belgian guitar technician, Henri Besancon, taught me his "method" of treating a fret board... but, keep in mind, I only do this once every 2-5 years or so...

I use raw linseed oil... and OOOO steel wool... I "goo" on the linseed oil with my fingers, then wipe off the balance of it with a clean cotton cloth... then I use the steel wool, lightly rubbing, with the grain, to clean off any gunk that has accumulated... then I go over the entire fret board several times with a clean cotton cloth, until I am no longer picking up any oily residue on the cloth...

Many times, I will use the steel wool without any oil, just to clean the 'board and fret wire... but ALWAYS light pressure, always with the grain of the wood...

If all you want to do is darken the wood, take a piece of walnut meat and break it in half, then rub it on the wood... the walnut oil does a fine job!!! Then dry/polish with a cloth and you are good to go!

Oiling or dressing your fret board is not to be overdone... too much oil can cause glue to loosen, which affects the binding and the 'board itself... it can also cause fret wire to rise when the wood swells from excess oil...

Although I certainly understand wanting to care for your instrument, it is really easy to go overboard with the whole process... many of those old Martins that are still kicking around were totally neglected, as far as fret board dressing, humidifying and all that...

So, remember, moderation! A little care goes a long way...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM

A little fat back, lard or bacon grease goes a long way too.

Who doesn't like bacon?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion