The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Default Shirley Collins Kickstarter

Between 1959 & 1980 Shirley Collins changed the course of folk music in England & America. Thirty years after disappearing, she's back and I'm hoping you can help.

A Kickstarter campaign has been created to make a feature documentary called "The Ballad of Shirley Collins". The film will be a lyrical response to the life and work of this musical pioneer and folk legend.

In 1959 Shirley undertook a song-collecting trip around the Deep South of America with legendary field-recordist Alan Lomax. This trip uncovered and documented the music that would later inspire the soundtrack to the Coen Brothers’ O Brother Where Art Thou. This natural music archive is one of the core influences of the acoustic artists that we listen to and aspire to become.

Shirley has created some of the most timeless folk music: listen to her albums with guitarist virtuoso Davey Graham "Folk Roots / New Routes", her Sister Dolly "Anthems in Eden" or with the Albion Country Band (including guitarist virtuoso Richard Thompson) "No Roses" and be awed and inspired.

Apologies if you think this is Spam or don't agree with Kickstarter as a concept and I'm hoping our esteemed moderator allows this through but this project only has 11 days left to get its target. It's over half-way there but I'm worried it won't make it... Thus this post. I'm just a supporter. I'm not involved in running or managing it. I just want it to happen. There are some great rewards!

Have a click and see:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery

Thanks!

Simon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases