The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
One reason I'd like to join the group is that the acoustic jam I've been going to for the past 12 years looks like it will be ending as the leader says he can no longer capable of doing it and nobody in our group, including me, has the time or desire to be the leader.

I recommend that you keep your group going.
I am not a leader of anything nor do I want to be. This jam is in a public venue and I would have to sign a waiver saying I would be responsible for any problem ... should one arise. So far nothing has happened but we sometimes attract somewhat unruly players and even audience members. It's something I'm just suited for.

As for continuing the jam I've talked to a man who has been the driving force behind most open mics in our area and he said he was interested in taking it over and even holding it twice a month which I would prefer. I sometimes miss the monthly jam for various reasons and so I have to wait another month for the next jam.

He also said a local bar has talked to him about starting a strictly acoustic ... acoustic-electric open mic so that falls into line with his plans. He said he will attend the next ... and for the moment last ... acoustic jam and we will take it from there.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-04-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
It's worth the hour's drive for you to check out this other jam, if it's more welcoming. Denver's largest bluegrass jam jam, 23 years old and counting, is just 14 miles away, but it can take me an hour in the worst traffic; having attractions in the same big city doesn't mean they're convenient. You'd hope it's a two-hour jam so you play as long as you drive.
I'm old and I don't like to drive long distances ... especially at night ... on back roads ... and in the winter. (Snow on the ground as I write this). So I would pass on that option.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-04-2024, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
That's really sad to hear. I haven't been to an Irish jam before (the main one around here is invite-only), but most old-time and bluegrass jams around here are very welcoming.
I've never been to a Celtic jam. If we are playing anything Irish it is under a bluegrass umbrella. Our jam is not by invitation only. I mean, if someone just showed up they would be welcomed, but we play in a private venue out in the country and it isn't really promoted, so as long as I've been there everyone that has ever shown up has been invited. While they are friendly welcoming people, there isn't any instruction going on. It is where you go to put into practice what you've been practicing.

People are there to show their stuff. I think it could be somewhat intimidating to someone easily intimidated. I'm not really. So after a couple months of going to our jam, one of the guitar players wanted to get together with me during the week to "play some tunes." He has sort of taken me under his wing and taught me a lot in those one on one sessions. But not much of that goes on at the jams themselves. But if I ask what song we played, they always tell me. Some people are doing their own songs, so you just have to figure it out.

But I'll reiterate, it takes time to get comfortable with a new jam. I wouldn't give up so easily if I were Ralph. It takes time for people to get to know you and for you to get to know them. You might find out the bossy lady is really nice once you get to know her.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-05-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
It takes time for people to get to know you and for you to get to know them. You might find out the bossy lady is really nice once you get to know her.
I still may go back there. But as for that lady, I really don't want to get to know here. Anybody who would do what she did at a public event and think nothing about it just amazes me. But I was also amazed that nobody else seemed to mind so I guess that is because she is one of the veteran players.

And as others have said it is a session for fiddle players ... which I'm not. It's a session for organized playing and not jams ... which is what I want. It's a session that requires you to read music on the spot ... which I can't do at the speed required of me. So basically this session (see, I'm no longer calling it a jam because obviously it isn't) ... represents the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

It is as if I'm a round peg trying to jam myself into a hexagonal slot.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-05-2024, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

It would often be said of traditional Irish music sessions that you are expected to practice at home not in the session. There are sessions which are aimed towards beginners where this does not apply.

It's hard unless you.know what to practice. All you can do is ask for the names of the tunds, and record them. Any session worth playing in will have no problem with that.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
It would often be said of traditional Irish music sessions that you are expected to practice at home not in the session. There are sessions which are aimed towards beginners where this does not apply.

It's hard unless you.know what to practice. All you can do is ask for the names of the tunds, and record them. Any session worth playing in will have no problem with that.
I would have no problem with that ...if I knew the key (which is not always provided IIRC) and I knew which version of a song the group was using ... no pdfs, no songbook remember.) I have already related what happened when I learned a song, but in the wrong key, and the group started playing it "their" way instead of just letting me play it and adapting to my version of the song. Or they didn't have to play at all and just let me play the song but they essentially "kidnapped" my song and played it that way and left me out in the cold.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-06-2024, 10:51 AM

That is exactly the tactic used by some jam sessions to keep outsiders from coming back.

Find another session.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
That is exactly the tactic used by some jam sessions to keep outsiders from coming back.

Find another session.
I don't think, at least by most there ... but I do think maybe that woman guitarist didn't want me there as she was THE guitarist and had been I think for some time. I don't think she wanted compeition.

Bit of an update

I went to the "last" acoustic jam ... although it was cut short to 1 hour from the allocated 3 p.m. due to a winter storm now beginning. But two of the guys said they would ... at least temporarily ... keep hosting the jam

As for that guy who said he was going to be there and probably take over the jam ... he never showed up and never called me.

Still the jam is slated to live at least for another month.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write