The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-06-2023, 05:57 PM

Default Sinker Redwood?

A sinker pitch in baseball is a type of pitch thrown by a pitcher that has substantial downward movement as it approaches the plate. It's also known as a two-seam sinker or simply a sinker.

Last edited by 7NationArmy; 04-04-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Many, though not all, have pretty clear marks from mineral deposits... some can be pretty colorful, others just contrasty, which is likely the case in the picture you posted.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-06-2023, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

And, yes, the tops/lumber does tend to be more expensive.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-07-2023, 02:20 PM

The point of sinker whatever, "They sure do not make wood like they used to." Nothing special about being underwater, more that there was pretty good wood back then, now not so much.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
The point of sinker whatever, "They sure do not make wood like they used to." Nothing special about being underwater, more that there was pretty good wood back then, now not so much.
Not special unless somebody considers different wood as special. Depending on where it was, it's not going to be the same as wood entirely harvested, stored and processed up on land. Some minerals will permeate wood underwater or in sediment. And the temperature, possible leaching of tannins and other variables will make it different. Redwoods are my favorite forest to explore. A reason I just ordered a sinker redwood guitar earlier this week.

Here's a favorite protected coast redwood, with 2 women for scale. Click once and maybe a 2nd time to enlarge. Hypothetically, if all the wood in this trunk could be used, it would supply about 300,000 guitar tops.

- Hsienmo 38S, Sinker Redwood

- Hsienmo Autumn, European Spruce

- Teton STA180CEAB-AR, Sitka Spruce

- Teton STS205CENT, Thuja / Redcedar

Last edited by mdvaden; 08-12-2023 at 10:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair