The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-20-2023, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Default SS Fret Sprouts

Anyone here ever deal with dressing SS frets to take out a little fret sprout? I have one of those Stew Mac files for fret ends, but haven’t ever done SS fret ends. Any special considerations that I should be aware of.

For reference the guitar in question is a 2001 Gibson Figured ES-335. I play electrics hard and went to SS frets on my guitars that get heavy playing. This is the only one that has had any kind of sprouting issue. The guitar is in a humidity controlled music room with its own AC system and we have a whole house generator for backup power. Its possible it got a little too dry in the giant freezes we have had in the past few years. I live in the far northern burbs outside of Houston where it is uber humid most of the year.

+
Old 04-21-2023, 06:26 AM

I have a block of scrap hardwood about 7" long x 3.5" wide with a 90° and 35° table saw cut on either side. I put a cheap 6" mill file in either slot ( it fits) for squaring off then chamfering fret ends. I have also used it for trimming fret sprout. It has worked great so far for regular, evo gold and stainless frets on about 15 guitars. If the file wears out, it can be replaced for about $6.

Mine is a home made version of this one, same pricipal.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09WYSBXRJ/...T1zcF9kZXRhaWw
Old 04-21-2023, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I could get that Stew Mac 6” fret leveling file for running down the outside edge of the frets. I have the dressing file for rounding and smoothing the edges as well. Was just wondering if anyone had specific issues with SS frets.

I love the way the SS frets play and feel on a Gibson electrics. Super easy on 2 step bends. The strings glide on the fret instead of rubbing into them like they do on NS frets. They are especially great on a ebony board. I’m hard on frets as I play with a lot of aggressive bends.

+
Old 04-21-2023, 07:53 AM

The only real problem is stainless frets will quickly dull common files.

Stainless frets are best worked with a NEW file, so I'd pick up a new second cut or mill bas(****)tard * single cut 8" Nicholson file to file off your fret sprout.

I consider buying a new file part of the cost of using stainless frets, so buying the high priced files from a "specialty guitar supply" seems like a waste of money to me.

*Automatic vulgarity checker won't let me use the actual name for a file!
Old 04-21-2023, 09:54 AM

I use the same file that Rudy mentioned and fix fret sprout by hand. Mine have all been nickel-silver frets though. My guitars with SS frets are all carbon fiber, and the fretboard does not shrink. But if they did manage to sprout some sharp ends, I would address them the same way with the standard mill "b-word" file from my shop.

As I said on another post recently, fix it right now before re-humidifying and you'll never deal with it again.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the help. I took down most of the worst of it with the Stew Mac fret edge file. I need to get one of the 6” files for future work.

I ended up putting SS Frets on 2 Les Pauls and my 335 due to heavy fret wear. I wore out the original frets on my 335 in just few years.

+

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair