The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-10-2024, 08:35 AM

Default sleep fogged songwriting

As I write 95% of the time melody first, a lot of my tunes have shown up in my head as I awaken. Usually it's a phrase or two of melody that I have to expound upon. Sometimes it's in the morning, but often is the middle of the night when I get up to go to the bathroom, or let the dog out, etc. (the wife literally slept through an earthquake). I will grab my phone and hit the recorder and "la la" the melody into it for review in the morning. Sometimes it's "wtf?", but most of my tunes start that way.

Last week this scenario played out but the dog didn't come back for a few minutes, so I grabbed the nearest guitar, tuned DADGAD, and played a little piece. I liked it so grabbed my phone and recorded it, by which time the dog came back and I went back to sleep (a bother for some I know, but has never been a problem for me).

I didn't get back to the recording until Sunday evening and have been trying to master it ever since. It is really a nice piece but the fingerpicking patterns are wholly unlike what I usually do. It's as if I am learning a cover note-for-note. I really like it but find it very strange, as my usual recorded "la la" deal is familiar when I hear it, but the details of this guitar piece are not. I dunno...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write