The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-09-2022, 02:10 PM

There are two ways to create a satin finish. The sprayed satin finish is most common on factory guitars, simply because it is the least labor intensive. It is done by mixing a flattening agent in the finish. This flattening agent causes the finish to dry with the satin surface. It is a surface effect that will tend go shiny wth rubbing, regardless of whether an abrasive is introduced. Obviously, the more aggressive the abrasive, the faster the satin surface will be removed. Once it is removed, it is gone forever.....unless more satin finish is sprayed.
The second way to produce the satin effect is with abrasive that is relatively coarse. This may be rubbing compound, 0000 steel wool, pumice, or fine (multi-thousand grit) sandpaper. Depending on the abrasive, this may produce scratches that are visible with the naked eye. Linear scratches parallel with the grain seem to be the most acceptable, and I favor pumice applied with some rubbing oil on a felt pad to the other options. In any case, a rubbed satin will never look exactly like a factory sprayed satin.

Last edited by John Arnold; 03-09-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:13 AM

Thanks so much John!!
Old 03-12-2022, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Nice job Alex.

My Martin J-17 developed shiney spots on it's own and it was just looking pretty crummy. I finally broke down and hit it with Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. It looks better than ever. Now it's like an old vintage gloss;

Old 03-12-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Nice job Alex.

My Martin J-17 developed shiney spots on it's own and it was just looking pretty crummy. I finally broke down and hit it with Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish. It looks better than ever. Now it's like an old vintage gloss;

Wow looks real good! [emoji106]
Old 03-14-2022, 04:29 PM

I am always on the search as well. I have poly and nitro guitars. Music Nomad cleaner and polish product are great, Virtuoso polish and cleaner are both fantastic - but take your time and use sparingly - a little bit does it. Have achieved the deepest gloss with Virtuoso or Santa Cruz pure carnuba wax (very thinly applied).

My biggest mistake by far is using cheap microfiber by itself to wipe down or in conjunction with a product above. DO NOT USE MICROFIBER FROM WALMART, SAMS, COSTCO, PEP-BOYS, ETC.

Look at higher quality microfiber from Microfiber Magic, the Rag Company, etc. Anything can scratch under the right conditions, but a clean higher quality microfiber needs to be in the equation as well.
Old 03-14-2022, 05:06 PM

I do not like "satin" finishes and I try really hard stay as far away from them as I can.

This is why. Ya never know how they are going to react to anything other than a watered damp cotton rag.

the other thing I've learned is Micro Fiber isn't always your friend. If there's any dirt particles or whatevers, it will just add surface swirls to what ever you're using them on.

A clan rag cut from a t-shirt is still just about the best you can use.

progress aint all it's cracked up to be!

I hope you can sort this out.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair