The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.
Default Need neck attachment advice

Hi Techs andl luthiers!

I'm not - I'm just a hack. In fact, I used a hack saw on my Yamaha FG 335 neck. I chose to saw the neck and convert to a bolt on. The bolt line up is great. I've had it on and off a few times. I'm getting ready to go final, though I havn't decided how to deal with the fret board. I've seen a few guitars with screws in the fret board - like the baby taylor - and some other cheapies.

I was thinking about using to 6-32 screws and bolting the fret board to the top and brace underneath.

What do you think?

Thanks much for you insight.

Al
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)

Last edited by abelville; 07-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelville View Post
I've seen a few guitars with screws in the fret board - like the baby taylor - and some other cheapies.
Not only cheapies....

Michael Baranik uses screws to affix the fretboard tongue, and very elegantly too.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Just glue it down with some Titebond. Why bother with screws? FWIW you may need to shim that heal to take up for the width of the hack saw blade to get the intonation right. I've done this sort of repair a few times, I use a Japanese pull saw, but the hack saw was a good idea. But after sawing through and setting the angle you may find you have an intonation problem.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Just glue it down with some Titebond. Why bother with screws? FWIW you may need to shim that heal to take up for the width of the hack saw blade to get the intonation right. I've done this sort of repair a few times, I use a Japanese pull saw, but the hack saw was a good idea. But after sawing through and setting the angle you may find you have an intonation problem.
Thanks!

I hear you - the thickness of the hacksaw blade. I glued an oak insert to the heal and made sure the thickness was such that the fret board was lined up with it's original position. The oak insert also has the 10-32 inserts threaded into the heal.
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair