The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Gillian Welch Tour

Gillian and David Rawlings are touring right now. If anyone attends one of these concerts, could you let me know so that I may live vicariously through you? I'd love to hear a review... thanks

She never comes far enough north for me (can't say as I blame her)

September 24 , 2005
Saturday New York, NY The New Yorker Festival

October 1, 2005
Saturday San Francisco, CA Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
Speedway Meadows in
Golden Gate Park

October 6, 2005
Thursday Los Angeles, CA Avalon

October 7, 2005
Friday San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

October 8, 2005
Saturday San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

October 9, 2005
Sunday Chico, CA Laxson Auditorium
Chico State University

October 10, 2005
Monday Arcata, CA John Van Duzer Theatre

October 12, 2005
Wednesday Eugene, OR McDonald Theatre

October 13, 2005
Thursday Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom

October 14, 2005
Friday Seattle, WA Paramount Theatre

October 15, 2005
Saturday Olympia, WA Capitol Theatre
Old 09-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I am a huge Gillian fan. Sadly, I see no Colorado shows listed there. Ah well, I've seen her once and listened live by internet to her set at Telluride last summer. It will happen again. In the meanwhile I just may have to finally buy a copy of the Revelator DVD
Old 09-19-2005, 01:13 PM

I have the Revelator dvd... trust me, you would not be disappointed if you bought this. I play it even more than I play my GW cd's. A warning, tho', it's all in black and white, which I think really adds to the ambience, but I've heard some criticism about it.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:27 PM

I've only seen her on TV (I think it was Austin City Limits). David Rawlings is a killer guitar player. I want to buy one of her CDs. Which one would you recommend? Thanks.
Hirade = E9;Tak = TC135SC

http://www.guitarace.net
Old 09-19-2005, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiko
I've only seen her on TV (I think it was Austin City Limits). David Rawlings is a killer guitar player. I want to buy one of her CDs. Which one would you recommend? Thanks.
Revival, IMHO. (corrected - sorry)

Last edited by SNaP2it; 09-19-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:53 PM

Man!!! I love their act. I feel your pain as well. They arent' coming near me either!

I'm anxiously awaiting another album as well.

Love David's playing on that old Epi! Sweet, and I believe he has taken the old mountain sound to a new level. Just listen. . . he's a tone monser. . .

A class act fer sure. . . .

I have that DVD as well and can't get enough of it.

Revelator is very good, so is Soul Journey (her latest) that said I would recommend you start at the beginning with Revival. Trust me, you'll eventually buy them all .. . .

I jsut got back frmo Bristol for the Rhythm and Roots festival, where Gill and Dave played last year. . . . Wish they were there this year, although there was still plenty of good americana!

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Eiko,

Snap2it and Deadhead are right, you can start with Revival, but you'll end up buying all of them Then you'll start looking on eBay for bootlegs! (oops, did I say that?)

I think David's guitar is a 1935 Epiphone... I love it. My favourite article on them describes his guitar playing this way:

"Rawlings is a strikingly inventive guitarist. His solos often feature daring melodic leaps. He uses passing tones as signal elements of a solo rather than relying on them merely to bridge chord changes, and there is an obstinate, near-vagrant quality of chromatic drifting to his playing - of his proceeding with harmonic ideas at a different pace and perhaps even in a different direction from the song's changes. He uses double and triple stops and open strings for dramatic effect. Often, he leaves an open string ringing as a drone against which he plays a note that conflicts with the chord the drone refers to. He likes to go as far out on a limb as he can before figuring out how to get back. In Carrboro, he played a solo that seemed as if it were going to skid right off the pavement and recovered itself only at the very last moment."

I hope I get to see them while they're still playing small intimate audiences...

Last edited by Gilliangirl; 09-19-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 PM

i wish i had more of her albums. i believe the one i have is named 'hell among the yearlings'.

i thought i had heard somewhere that she and the guitar player had split up. hopefully i got some bad info and that is not the case.

/guy
Old 09-19-2005, 10:36 PM

Yeah, unfortunately Gillian has left San Diego off her tours for the last 2 years. I saw her here 3 years ago. I have the Revelator DVD, as well as nearly every song they've done. You might also want to check out her fans' discussion forum on Yahoo's Groups. I believe it's Whiskey Girl, but a search of Gillian Welch will turn it up. Lots of British fans there with their lists of her gigs, play lists and reviews.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliangirl
I think David's guitar is a 1935 Epiphone
I have also heard that it is a '35 Epiphone.

Anyway ... count me in as another big Gillian fan ... and one who is disappointed she won't be touring this neck of the woods. I think she is one of the best and most refreshing female country/folk artists to emerge in a long time.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliangirl
I think David's guitar is a 1935 Epiphone
That's right, it's a 1935 Epiphone Olympic. Both his and Gillian's guitars are mentioned in the Revelator DVD credits.

Richard
Old 09-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Hi Re17!

I'm still working on Wayside! Darn barre chords! I got sidetracked by two other songs (Hold You In My Arms and How Can I Tell You) but I'm back at it. My sister is giving me one of her old mikes (mic's?*) so you may hear something soon...

(*anyone know how to spell this properly?)

Last edited by Gilliangirl; 09-20-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:06 PM

Ok OK, so I have to say, I made it to the Seattle Show last night.....WOW what a show. David showed up in a sequin Cowboy suit and Gillian wore Pink Cowgirl boots.

Boy was it a great show. Gillian turned it over to David to sing a song on his own, and he flew through Girls just wanna have fun. It was cool. Gillians voice is magical, and David's playing is amazing. I chucled a few times, because he stands there and wobbles his body and head as he flies through runs.

What a show, I just wish I was closer so I could see a bit better. And if the drunk folks behind me were to have shut up for one minute, they may have enjoyed the show too.

There you go...a bit of a review. (from a guy who wore a tie none - the - less!)
Old 10-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Sequined cowboy suit and pink cowgirl boots?! Girls Just Wanna Have Fun? Are you serious!? LOL! Nevertheless, I've heard they put on amazing shows! David really gets into it all, for sure! Oh, I wish I could have gone. Sorry you had to tolerate the drunks... seems to me there was a thread on here not long ago about an Alison Krauss concert and the issue was similar... drunks singing along or something to that effect. It sure detracts from the experience, IMO. And while I'm on the subject, the other thing I find annoying is when people clap along to the song. I know it's because they're enjoying it, and I'm sure the performers are happy about that, but for those of us who go to actually HEAR exquisite guitar work, it's no party! Such would be the case with David Rawlings... I would want to hear David, not clapping, drunks, audience singing, etc. Maybe I'm a party-pooper.

Anyway, thank you for the review... I'm glad you got to see them, Photomat!

"Those of you who think you know everything, annoy those of us who really do."

1992 Seagull S6 Cedar - "Jonathan"
2004 Gibson Southern Jumbo - "Magic"
2007 Epiphone EL-00 - "Elmo"
2005 Gibson J-185 - "Lily"
Old 10-16-2005, 10:18 AM

We saw them last night in Olympia, the next night after the Seattle show. FWIW David wore an understated brown corduroy suit, and Gillian had on white and black boots. The crowd was really into it, so the first set stayed all happy and uptempo. David got to sing his one song, but I have to admit I don't know the names of their songs. It was a great show, they did a duet of "Jackson" in the encore, probably the best version you'll hear now that the originals are gone. And they stepped in front of the mic's for the last song, it was really intimate, and very cool. They've been to Olympia 3 years in row now, think we're pretty lucky.
Blueridge BG-140

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion