The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Luthier

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB
I've only seen Dolly on TV; and I'm guessing that when she plays her guitar, uses an open tuning. A banjo, I think, is tuned to an open G; where I doubt she would have a problem playing it. A mandolin is a different story...
BUT if I were to see Dolly live, I doubt if I'll be able to watch her guitar/banjo/mandolin abilities in the first place...
Your getting warmer....

Woody Boyd
Luthier
"Home of the banjo eating HOG"
Old 11-16-2004, 04:57 AM

I agree with everyone who claims y'all aren't giving her enough credit. I actually hate country music and most forms of it except for a little bluegrass. BUT... even though I don't really care for her music, the FACT is that she grew up fingerpickin and she's penned like 700 songs in her career. That's light years more than most other musicians could say for themselves. As far as the nails... maybe she just learned... how do you explain people playing piano or nintendo with their toes or how my blind friend Kevin can play multi-player bond (that boggles me to this day)... people just learn to adapt....
'99 Yanagisawa T991 Black Lacquer Tenor Sax
'82 Fender Rhodes Mark II Suitcase
'03 15" Apple G4 Powerbook
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Saw Dolly's Recent Tour

I was a bit disappointed in Dolly's new tour (except when she talked or sang) in that it was very posed, staged, scripted, and well... artificial.

I did not stay long enough to see her play mando or fiddle, but the electric guitar she was holding and handling was NOT making the notes I heard through the p.a. system. Canned all the way. She did play the piano a bit while I was there; and sang a version of "The Grass Is Blue" that made the $54 seat I was in worth every penny. Dolly Parton is a transcendant talent, and I am glad she is getting the kind of notoriety she is from the acoustic music community. That feeling, however, was blunted for me by the fact that she wanted to appear to play the guitar as a dramatic device, and stooped to using pre-recorded licks to do it.

BTW when I saw her a Merlefest a few years back, she didn't play, or fake playing, anything. It was a better concert for me than what I saw recently.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:31 AM

Dolly's been in the game long enough to have earned the right to do what she wants.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
Dolly's been in the game long enough to have earned the right to do what she wants.
I think you said it all there. Dolly probably has more talent than all of us experts put together making these astute observations.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmania
I was a bit disappointed in Dolly's new tour (except when she talked or sang) in that it was very posed, staged, scripted, and well... artificial.

I did not stay long enough to see her play mando or fiddle, but the electric guitar she was holding and handling was NOT making the notes I heard through the p.a. system. Canned all the way. She did play the piano a bit while I was there; and sang a version of "The Grass Is Blue" that made the $54 seat I was in worth every penny. Dolly Parton is a transcendant talent, and I am glad she is getting the kind of notoriety she is from the acoustic music community. That feeling, however, was blunted for me by the fact that she wanted to appear to play the guitar as a dramatic device, and stooped to using pre-recorded licks to do it.

BTW when I saw her a Merlefest a few years back, she didn't play, or fake playing, anything. It was a better concert for me than what I saw recently.
Thanks tad . . . I rest my case.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:29 PM

almost two full pages of a dolly paton thread and nobody has mentioned XXX yet?! man you guys are more mature than i thought....

Last edited by Bill Nichols (CaptBill); 11-16-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor007
almost two full pages of a dolly paton thread and nobody has mentioned XXX yet?! man you guys are more mature than i thought....
Yes...wasn't it nice.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:46 PM

Quote:
and that includes faking the game?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill
Yes...wasn't it nice.

Sorry Bill , i couldn't resist!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor007
Sorry Bill , i couldn't resist!
no problemo....
Old 11-17-2004, 06:21 AM

I can't resist...I'm not worried about how she plays the guitar; she has proven she can do that. The move I'd like to see is her tying her shoes!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Moss and Mushrooms

Dolly joked that the reason her waist and feet are so small is that "Things don't grow in the shade!"
Old 11-19-2004, 09:33 PM

Dollly is a talented performer, a fine person and she has a great sense of humor about her attributes.

I like all kinds of music and that includes many of her songs.

She is one of the greats of all time.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:44 AM

I remember about thirty years ago seeing her on "The Mike Douglas Show" and watching her sit on the couch and play "Jolene" and "Coat of Many Colors" on an unplugged nylon-string guitar with those hoochie talons of hers. I did a double-take. So, apparently, did Douglas--he mentioned the extraordinary length of her nails and marveled about how she could play. She replied, "I got my own way." Looking closely, I saw she was using mostly one-finger barre chords (kind of like early Joni Mitchell, only fingering from the treble side of the neck instead of over the top with a whole hand like Joni used to), plus some partials (the picked strings being only those not muted by her left-hand nails). On those barres, I could plainly see that her (unusually long) finger spanned the entire fretboard, with the nail hanging off the bass side, without touching any of the strings. Hadda be open tuning. She confirmed as much by laughing, "Heck, I could play with my feet if I had to." Never saw her play fiddle or mando, but I can say (as one who, ahem, has had some experience hanging out at nail salons) it's theoretically possible with squared-off tips and very long and loose double-jointed fingers that can be arched. Me? if my fingertip calluses don't stick out 1/8" from the nails I get uninitentionally muted strings. And very long right hand nails can really go to town on vibrato and speed-picking.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification