The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM

Default Diskfaktory: Beware!!

I have used Diskfaktory (based in Cali) for my CD pressing needs for the last 3-4 projects and have had great results. Good pricing, good service, on-time deliveries. The time came to reorder another big box of CDs from them, a project that they had already made and only needed to re-make for me. I ordered January 9 and was told "10 business days."

February 1 rolled around and I called, and had no answer on their end of the phone, just voicemail. I asked for an explanation and received none. Called again today, February 13 with the intention of canceling my order and receiving a full refund. Again, after 2 calls, nobody picks up (this is a Monday at 2PM), so I leave a stern but fair voicemail explaining the situation and my needs.

I am hoping that I will indeed get my refund soon, and wanted to pass along the word that this company is no longer good to work with for anyone's CD duplication/replication needs. Not sure what's happened there.

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 02-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the warning. I used a local replicating house--paying a premium for "rush service" in order to have my CDs in time to sell at a convention--to press my first album. You can guess what happened: the discs were 3 weeks late with a printing error on the inserts. For short-runs of CD-Rs, I've used Diskmasters, also local--but they keep moving their plant to stay one step ahead of local zoning enforcers. I have since dealt ONLY with Oasis CD, and I am glad I did. Will I continue to use them? Yup. Not the cheapest, but the most reliable and professional and with the most side benefits.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM

thanks for the tip sandy. Oasis is a tad expensive but if their service and turnaround is good then it is worth it. My new cd will be pressed in march and I am planning on using them.

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM

There are a number of discounts that Oasis gives--We R Indie (formerly Indiegrrl) or GoGirls Music membership, attendance at Folk Alliance Int'l's conference in Memphis next week (or perhaps one of the regionals), other music organizations, etc. Up to $150 off an order. They offer various packaging options--I used to get the conventional jewel-box-plus insert, traycard, & booklet; but for the most recent Andina & Rich CD we went with a recycled cardboard Digipak (the tray was made of recycled soda bottles)--glossy full-color printing, slot for a booklet, and a full-sized spine so that DJs can find the CDs if they shelve them rather than take them out and store them in looseleaf pages. The perks of Oasis pressing: single-speed glass mastering, metadata encoding, guidance in applying for Harry Fox licenses for cover songs, affordable graphic design if you want, placement on CDBaby.com as well as a variety of download services, inexpensive printing of download cards, free 6-month memberships in Sonicbids (for your electronic press kit) and HostBaby (hosting of and templates for your website), and inclusion of one track on an Oasis sampler in the genre they deem most appropriate. I've gotten airplay from this six years after a couple of albums I was on were released. If you want to save money by doing some stuff yourself (like printing your own lyric sheets, forgoing shrink wrap, or assembling your own CD packages using your own materials), you can just get them to press your project and ship it to you on spindles. They'll insert your own printed materials too. The quality is first-rate, as is the customer service.

Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM

I have used Kunaki for over 13 projects as of today, and have never had a problem. Low cost CD-R with full color printing on disk & cards for $1.75 per piece or less....
Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM

I use DoveCDs.com! Great buncha folks. I've had 5 projects done there. Very happy.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I have used Kunaki for over 13 projects as of today, and have never had a problem. Low cost CD-R with full color printing on disk & cards for $1.75 per piece or less....
I wouldn't go with burned CD-Rs for anything more important than a demo--pressed CDs are much stabler and will play on all CD players, no matter what vintage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic