The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM

Default what's the state of the art in fingerpicks?

interested primarily for nylon string but bronze/steel as well. (in my case I use a lot of slapping/popping and up/downstroke with the thumb in addition to doubling on bass so it's tough to do that with nails. Yet, there are times I want the sound and attack of nails so the fingerpicks seem like a good compromise.)

Fred Kelly? Alaska? Something else?

Last edited by jzucker; 05-01-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 PM

I don't know what the state of the art is, but I use a Fred Kelly speedpick on my thumb and fingernails on my other fingers. The speedpicks are the best I've found, and I've tried a lot.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 05-01-2009, 08:31 AM

in my case I use a lot of slapping/popping and up/downstroke with the thumb in addition to doubling on bass so it's tough to do that with nails. Yet, there are times I want the sound and attack of nails so the fingerpicks seem like a good compromise.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Fred Kelly, ProPik and Alaska Pik, I think. Fingerpicks aren't used much on nylon, but if you need them, I'd look at those three.

I'm having trouble understanding what you can't do with nails that you can with fingerpicks, though.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Fred Kelly, ProPik and Alaska Pik, I think. Fingerpicks aren't used much on nylon, but if you need them, I'd look at those three.

I'm having trouble understanding what you can't do with nails that you can with fingerpicks, though.
I'm not using nails. I don't use nails for slapping and popping, playing bass or up/down strokes with my thumb, all of which I do much more than classical guitar but I want to occasionally get the sound of nails so I've decided to utilize fingerpicks.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Eric Skye

I'm still very happy with Alaskas
Old 05-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I'm still very happy with Alaskas
don't you have to have a little bit of nail to anchor the alaskas under? I don't have any nails on the right hand. For slapping/popping I trim them way down...
Old 05-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Eric Skye

I keep my nails pretty short too and have little or no trouble at all with Alaskas. The X-large is probably the perfect comfortable fit for me but I use the regular larges. I think that snugness helps a lot. I also file them down fairly short.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I keep my nails pretty short too and have little or no trouble at all with Alaskas. The X-large is probably the perfect comfortable fit for me but I use the regular larges. I think that snugness helps a lot. I also file them down fairly short.
cool. Thanks. I ordered some alaskas a few days ago from elderly along with some fred kelly picks. I've tried the alaskas before but never trimmed them. That may be the real secret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion