The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-10-2017, 03:44 PM

Peerless has a good rep among budget-minded jazz guitarists, Eastman is as good as it gets in this price range IMO, but just to muddy the waters a bit here's an option that (surprisingly) nobody has mentioned yet:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/The-Loar...74115039581.gc

Guitar Center sells them for just a tick under $1300 - hit them on a 15%-off coupon day and you're in the same ballpark as many laminated jazzboxes; if you're interested in something with a traditional 1940's vibe, these go for about half the price:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/The-Loar...38824519684.gc

BTW. don't be put off by the built-in pickup; guitars of this type from the late Big-Band/early bop era often did double-duty as both acoustic (for comping) and electric (for soloing) instruments - the best of them (the 17" post-war ES-150 being perhaps the most notable) could rival many a contemporary acoustic archtop for volume and tone - and that P-90 is the quintessential voice of pre-1960's jazz guitar...
Old 10-10-2017, 06:56 PM

Delete post

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"

Last edited by MJScott; 10-13-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM

Cool Archtop

I just purchased a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin 1 Archtop after looking at a number of them at a place called Guitar Factory in Buffalo NY.

I have to admit that I was wanting a Gretch, and I liked the Hangstrum they had, but I Purchased the Godin, regular $699 for an onsale price of $549 and they threw in a case. That Price was $350 cheaper than either the Gretch or the Hangstrum, Most Archtops were at least $899 in this store, except for a few off brands. As I mostly play regular Acoustic Electrics, Taylor DN3 with Lyric Pick Up, Taylor 214 DX, Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE > favorite, and a Takamine 12 string, and prefer their sound, the Godin does come close, especially after changing to Acoustic 11's and getting a pro set up. Did not get a chance to sample a LOAR or Eastman,,,but Price is part of the decision.

It is why I like the Epiphone Masterbuilt, I was blindfolded and did not know what it was when I picked it, and it was even on sale for $110 dollars Off the regular Price of $649. There were a number of $1500 guitars in the mix,,,,
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShaffstall View Post
I just purchased a Godin 5th Ave Kingpin 1 Archtop...I mostly play regular Acoustic Electrics, Taylor DN3 with Lyric Pick Up, Taylor 214 DX, Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE > favorite, and a Takamine 12 string, and prefer their sound, the Godin does come close, especially after changing to Acoustic 11's and getting a pro set up...
Owner of two Godin archtops - an all-acoustic 5th Avenue and a CW II - and 55-year archtop player here:

I'm not surprised you currently prefer the sound of the flattops; FYI archtops are a completely different animal - you can't just pick one up, whack away, and expect instant gratification - and it'll take a little time to acquaint yourself with the full range of possibilities. There's an approach the '30s/40s Big Band players referred to as "coaxing the velvet out"; simply put, it draws heavily from orchestral string players' right- and left-hand techniques (bear in mind that the original L-5 was conceived as a "classical" instrument, to be played as a part of the pre-1930 mandolin orchestras), and is as much mental as physical in its execution: think "stroke" rather than "strum," "glide" rather than "pick," "feel" the notes as you press down each string, and let the guitar do the work - which leads me to:

Unless you're using it to play Gypsy jazz exclusively, you're going to need heavier strings to achieve the full acoustic (and electric) tonal potential of your guitar; the vibrational mode of an archtop instrument is primarily "piston" in nature (as opposed to the mainly torsional vibration of a pin-bridge flattop), and you need sufficient string tension/mass to adequately drive the top. Back in the days before amplification the Big Band guys routinely used 14-60 or 15-62 sets (often with a wound B) to make themselves heard over a full-tilt 20-piece horn section; while I wouldn't necessarily suggest going that heavy (FYI I've been using 14's on all my acoustic archtops - including the 5th Avenue - for the last 45 years), a set of 13's will make a major difference in both acoustic projection and amplified tone. FWIW in my sometimes-unfortunate experience, most under-60 techs don't quite "get it" when it comes to archtops - they had all but vanished from the music scene from the early-60s until recently - and it's not unheard of for acoustic archtop players to have their instruments serviced by a violin luthier; IME with a real professional setup you might be surprised at just how much rich, creamy, "tone-you-could-eat-with-a-spoon" you'll get - and just how little effort is required to get it, even with heavier strings...
Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 PM

Thanks Steve for all that good info and guidance. I sure need it. I have been watching YouTube videos of archtop players and can see what you are talking about in terms of the stroke instead of the pick at it approach. Its going to take time and some discipline to stay away from a lot of my flat top experience but I am into it. The more I listen to archtops, the more I like the tones that comes from them. They are so much different than flat top sounds and I like that. Its actually why I decided to go for an archtop, to see if I can accompany myself on vocals in a different way than I have been doing for the past 30 years full time. It will be fun and if I don't like it, I can always post it in the For Sale section. But thanks for the info.

I have narrowed my selection down to a few. I will list them in hopes of you giving me any feedback you feel like.

1. Peerless Imperial, solid woods, 17"
2. Peerless Monarch, solid woods, 16" or 17"
3. D'Aquisto New Yorker, 17" laminate
4. D'Angelico EXL-1DP, 17", laminate
5. Peerless Martin Taylor Virtuoso laminate, 15"

They are all nice but also have some real differences between them. I like all wood for the acoustic tones. I like a floating pu for the same reason. I prefer 16" since it seems easier to play. I like the volume and tone on or behind the pick guard and not on the guitar face.

Thats it for now.......Oh, and there is an Eastman 805 from 2008 on the forum for sale. Looks nice but not feeling the Eastman as much as the others right now.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops