The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-07-2005, 01:51 PM

Question Could you answer some amp questions for me? (Ultrasound)

First off, Im fairly new here. Im primarily a bassist. I have done some side work as an acoustic guitarist, so Im not as clueless as many of the bassists most of us know.

I just got a Taylor 810, and I previously owned a 310CE and a 410.

All that being said, when I owned my other Taylors, for live situations, I relied on a preamp, sent to the house, and a floor monitor. Id much prefer an onstage amp over the preamp/monitor setup, and tried an Ultrasound not long ago, at low volumes in a local music store.

I was very impressed with the sound of the amp, and plan on getting an Ultrasound sometime soon.

My question is about the wattage. Im not quite sure how loud the Ultrasounds are for their respective wattages.

Ill be playing some acoustic/vocal duo stuff, and the amp will also be used by the lead singer of my primary band. The primary band has a medium to high stage volume, and I want to be sure I have enough power.

Can any of the Ultrasound users here give me some input as to model I should look at? More specific if the AG-30 seems like it will fit the bill, or if I should look at the AG-50 series.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM

I assume from your comments that you will just use it as a monitor, but I'm not sure because of the vocal comment. I just got the AG50 DS3. My first use as a monitor, the stage had drums, bass, keyboard singers (4) and brass (4). I was able to hear it fine. I'm not sure about the AG30, but I suspect it would also work if it was on a stand quite close to you. If you are using it as your main amplification (vs. as a monitor), then my experiences won't help, but lots of others on here that can help.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 PM
.tom the übergeek

I would have a look at the Fishman Loudbox. It is 250watts and sounds really good. We played outside 2 nights this last weekend and were really pushing it on Saturday night just to see what our system would do. We were running the Loudbox on about 5 with the 10dB pad button in and it sounded killer and was standing alone in the mix well enough to make the acoustic guitarist very happy. On break, we dialed it up to 8 or so and it was nearly painfully loud. I was very impressed.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:25 PM

I have the AG50DS3 (also the ext. cab). I'd say it's plenty loud for solo and even 2 or 3 guitar gigs. Never tried it with a band. When there's a house PA, I use the DS3 as my monitor using the line out going to the board.

I know there's a price difference but if you can swing it, I'd recommend the AG50DS3 and not the AG30. That way, if you need to play elsewhere with no PA, the DS3 could be good enough as well.
Hirade = E9;Tak = TC135SC

http://www.guitarace.net
Old 10-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Hi TS...
I own/use both an AG-30 and AG-50. By the sounds of your needs, you should get the AG-50 for the dual channel capability plus more power.

If you need more power than the AG-50, then perhaps the Loudbox, a Shanandoah or SWR blond would be necessary. I've personally never been in a situation where my AG-50 couldn't cut it.

I play both of mine in band situations and they keep up just fine. I have even used them for vocal monitors. The things I like are (in order):
1 - Sound natural
2 - Simple to set
3 - Plenty of power
4 - Fairly uni-directional. I can aim them where I want without wiping out the player next to me's mix.
5 - Light (20 & 23 pounds respectively)
6 - Small

I used the AG-30 for a solo guitar worship leading event for a conference last week in a civic center where there was no stage monitor, so I just hooked up the lil' guy and fired it towards me from about 5 feet straight left of me so I wasn't distracted by the echo coming off the back wall.

It was plenty solid for the huge stage, and kept me from over playing to compensate for the cavern we were in.

I used it last month in a PA/band situation (bass, drums, keys, 2 guitars and 3 vocalists) and it was all I needed as my guitar monitor for a room of about 75 people (retreat center, high ceilings, padded everything). I could easily pick it out over the PA. It was rear firing from waist high from about 6 feet straight behind me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Given the band situation, a 50 watt Ultrasound may not be up to the task. A 100 watt model would be a safer bet. Keep in mind that Ultrasound amps do not have good dispersion. The frequency response suffers even slightly off-axis (say 25-30 degrees). As a monitor, it will need accurate aiming.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Another vote for the AG50 DS3.
I have to agree with Larry's assessment.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle
Another vote for the AG50 DS3.
I have to agree with Larry's assessment.

Mike

I also agree with what Larry said.
'06 Baby Taylor - "Cry Baby"

"The resident unoffical Morgan spokes woman"

Morgan player #26 - www.morganguitars.com

"If men are from Mars and Women are from Venus then Drummers are from Pluto" - 'Still Crazy'
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 PM
.tom the übergeek

OK tsanders, look at my sig....if nothing you will note my 5 string bass friend listed there. I made my living from 1980-1990 playing bass in many different bands.....from punk to bluegrass while getting a jazz bass performance degree. All that said, you know the feeling of the earth moving when you play.....to get there, take a look at the Fishman. You may go with the Ultrasound....a great amp...BUT the fishman will be something to talk yourself out of. Bassist to bassist....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification