The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-07-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Recommended pu for a Tacoma DM18

I just acquired a DM18 and am looking for a pu system that suits the guitar...the guitar has a Gloss finish Solid Sitka Spruce top...Solid Mahogany back and sides and a Rosewood fingerboard....

it will be for live use in solo/duo formats and I'm kinda on budget and don't really want a megabucks dual system...I have a Baggs PADI to use as my preamp

I've had the M1-active which is too honky nasaly with this guitar and I've tried the I-Beam-active which seemed to sound really nice but the bass strings were distorting after installation so I think it might be defective as the treble strings sounded fine...also installation was a bit tricky as far as trying to position the I-Beam transdoucer but I'm game to try again...!!

I'm thinking either another I-Beam only passive this time or the passive K&K pure Western...any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...!!

Chow,
Seegs
Old 09-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Here's my entirely too brief synopsis of the main options:

Undersaddle (UST), usually piezo: very versatile, not feedback prone, may require relatively minor modification to your guitar, they eminate this really annoying "quack" sort of sound when not EQ'd (or run through a gizmo like the DTAR Mama Bear). They DO, IMHO, require outboard gear to sound good.

Sound board transducers (SBT), made from a variety of materials: not as versatile as they're more prone to feedback, especially in larger guitars, they have a really nice woody sound, perhaps the most natural sounding pickup without outboard gear, they almost always need some kind of pre-amp to boost the signal (sometimes inboard, sometimes not, often sold with the pickup, but sometimes not). In short, they work great if you're not playing with a semi-loud band and / or sitting in front of a monitor.

Magnetic: this is my current choice. Easy to install, and very predictable performance. They do require some basic EQ in my opinion. They are not the most "natural" sounding choice, but they do seem to have a really pretty tone, in spite of the fact that it isn't necessarily "my guitar, just louder". Some models come with a built on internal mic, etc.

Many folks have found they have to blend two or more pickup sources to get the best sound.

Two web sites you need to get real familiar with:

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

http://www.fingerpick.com/pickups.htm

(get a good set of transparent sounding headphones for both sites, & lock your credit card up some place safe if you're prone to make impulsive sorts of buying decisions for significant quantities of expensive professional level gear, especially true on the Fingerpick.com site)

These guys are the two online authorities on the subject so far as I can tell. Start by listening to all of the samples up on their sites & you'll have a pretty good idea which direction you want to take.

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs
I just acquired a DM18 and am looking for a pu system that suits the guitar...the guitar has a Gloss finish Solid Sitka Spruce top...Solid Mahogany back and sides and a Rosewood fingerboard....

it will be for live use in solo/duo formats and I'm kinda on budget and don't really want a megabucks dual system...I have a Baggs PADI to use as my preamp

I've had the M1-active which is too honky nasaly with this guitar and I've tried the I-Beam-active which seemed to sound really nice but the bass strings were distorting after installation so I think it might be defective as the treble strings sounded fine...also installation was a bit tricky as far as trying to position the I-Beam transdoucer but I'm game to try again...!!

I'm thinking either another I-Beam only passive this time or the passive K&K pure Western...any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...!!

Chow,
Seegs
I'm no pickup expert, but I have studied the Baggs I-beam and have it in two guitars. One is an active I-beam (pre-amp inside guitar) and one is passive (pre-amp outside guitar). The signal from the I-beam itself is the same regardless of where the pre-amp is located (i.e. regardless if the I-beam is active or passive). So going from an active I-beam to a passive I-beam is not going to change how the I-beam picks up the bass strings (or any strings). You can add EQ outside the guitar to an active I-beam as well as a passive I-beam if signal EQ is needed. The active I-bream's pre-amp is the only one which is exactly voiced (designed) for the I-beam Even other Baggs pre-amps are not custom voiced for the I-beam. Of course other pre-amps will work, but since they are not voiced for the I-beam they may require more trial and error to get the sound you want and will be less convenient since you can't just plug and play without them like you can with the active.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 AM

Well just to follow up...I ordered the K&K Ultra-Pure mini transdoucers and did the installation myself which in comparison the I-Beam fiasco...was a breeze...!!

It sounds amazing...very well balanced with no honky/nasalness and it sounds amazing without an external preamp...it sounded fine with my Baggs Para DI but from what I heard I don't think the Padi will be necessary...!!

I felt no need to tweak the preamps gain or eq. controls it sounded just great right out of the box...I plugged it directly into a Mackie Mixer/Rane Graphic Eq and SRM 450 powered monitors and it sounded amazing...I plugged it into an AER Acouticube II and it sounded great...I recorded it into Pro Tools and it sounds excellent...!!

I am extremely impressed with these pu's and Dieter's customer service which was very quick and thoughrough!!

Chow,
Seegs

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification