The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 11:16 AM

In 2017, all retailers should respond to web-site emails in a timely manner. I'd go further in saying that all retailers should post their inventory online and offer a chat option.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 03-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Yes, I agree with the OP; I definitely expect a response-- to not do so is bad business. No response = I don't care (that's how it makes me feel anyway).

On that note, I've had great response lately from just about everyone, especially TC Helicon!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
You're angry, I would be too. As to why no one addressed your question...
Actually I did answer, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
.. Remember, emails can get lost, or blocked.
Four out of four dealers did not respond to the OP's emails, so there could be more to this than dealers ignoring emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I don't disagree, but then why even offer it as a support vehicle? To me, if it's offered, my expectation is that it is a reliable and viable option. If I submit something and get no answer, then my perception is that they either don't care, have enough business to not need mine, or are inept at managing a function they offer for support. I too, just in the last week, have experienced this 3 times...one of which lead to a loss of sale because I went somewhere else. Their loss I guess, but they'll never know because they seemingly didn't care enough to respond. Oh well...you snooze, you lose.
I definitely think it's important to respond to emails, and while I don't think that you ever had any trouble reaching me, I respond to as many as 100 emails a day, so on occasion an email will get past us. I'm not making excuses for dealers that readily ignore emails, and there are plenty of them, I'm just trying to point out that even the good guys can miss an email for some reason. A few years ago a member of this forum started a similar thread. Turns out I was the dealer who did not respond. Apparently her email sig triggered our spam filter, and she was having a similar problem with other dealers as well.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 03-29-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not making excuses for dealers that readily ignore emails, and there are plenty of them, I'm just trying to point out that even the good guys can miss an email for some reason.
I make a living assessing risk, dealing with mistakes, and evaluating ways to prevent them; so, I understand that "stuff" happens--even to the "good guys". But, that doesn't change the Customer's experience; so, I guess as long as the dealer understands the ramifications of not responding (i.e. poor perception, potential loss of sale, potential loss of customer, reputation, etc.), and are prepared to assume those risks, then so be it...at the end of the day, it's their business.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I guess if the OP can accept that 'stuff happens' ,

then what if - going forward - just give the store the benefit of the doubt, pick up the phone and call them with the question?

I really don't understand some of the expectations I see expressed here as worthy of annoyance, frustration, or other negative emotions.

Sometimes, I think everyone should have to run a business for a few months to better appreciate the decisions that are involved in running a profitable business for the long term.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM

I can see where some of these online/internet issues would be annoying...

I've never had them personally, because if I want info, I just pick up the phone and call the vendor...

You can light a candle or you can curse the darkness...

Last edited by Denny B; 03-29-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I guess if the OP can accept that 'stuff happens
Problem is, many can't accept that stuff happens. When someone decides to run a business, they automatically assume risk--on many levels. Decisions should be made with those risks in mind, and if a business owner prefers to be contacted by phone, they should only provide a phone number. Once you open it up to other forms of contact, the Customer expects--and justifiably so--that those are functional and viable means of communication. As the Customer, I shouldn't have to chase the business owner for a sale...they should be chasing me. It doesn't take running a business to realize that...it's common sense, common courtesy, and good business practices.

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Me? I'd email them again letting them know I had emailed once before and didn't get a reply, I like to give the benefit of the doubt. And I have done that a few times.

That is just me though. Not trying to catch anybody out but scheet happens.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-29-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Problem is, many can't accept that stuff happens. When someone decides to run a business, they automatically assume risk--on many levels. Decisions should be made with those risks in mind, and if a business owner prefers to be contacted by phone, they should only provide a phone number. Once you open it up to other forms of contact, the Customer expects--and justifiably so--that those are functional and viable means of communication. As the Customer, I shouldn't have to chase the business owner for a sale...they should be chasing me. It doesn't take running a business to realize that...it's common sense, common courtesy, and good business practices.
it is an eternal struggle to balance business needs, customer desires and available resources.

Adequate and competent Staffing (human resources) is one of the biggest challenges for businesses. Not enough staff seems to be the root cause of the problem we're discussing in this thread.

What say, let's move over to the solution side of the problem:

How would you propose that a business owner determine the number of employees needed to answer the needs of customers who call or visit or write?

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Four out of four dealers did not respond to the OP's emails, so there could be more to this than dealers ignoring emails.
Problem here, Ted, is that only two were emails, per se, because the retailer's web site did not have a contact form. The other two were done via contact forms so should never have "gotten lost"...my web site form mailer puts a standard header/subject line on every submission so those emails should never end up in a trash or junk mailbox. Lost emails are still no excuse...if a retailer has setup an email address for customer contacts then that email address needs to be monitored...no way should any incoming mail to that box be misdirected.

Amy, it is frustrating but the point of my OP was "why offer a contact form/address if you're going to ignore it?" It honestly just puzzles me that a business would just ignore the contacts generated.

Anyway, I'm going to follow the suggestion of Jabberwocky, give all 4 retailers the "benefit of the doubt" and contact them again. I'll report back on what, if anything, results...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I guess if the OP can accept that 'stuff happens' ,

then what if - going forward - just give the store the benefit of the doubt, pick up the phone and call them with the question?

I really don't understand some of the expectations I see expressed here as worthy of annoyance, frustration, or other negative emotions.

Sometimes, I think everyone should have to run a business for a few months to better appreciate the decisions that are involved in running a profitable business for the long term.
Well said, Amy.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How would you propose that a business owner determine the number of employees needed to answer the needs of customers who call or visit or write?
Sorry, I won't take the bait. How could anyone--other than the business owner--answer that question without knowing the specifics of the individual business, business model, annual sales, call/e-mail/walk-in volume, and estimated market growth? It's 2017...if you can't adequately manage electronic inquiries from potential Customers, either you shouldn't offer that as a communication vehicle, or you should be prepared for the dissatisfaction that the OP and others have expressed here. I mean C'mon...it's not at all unrealistic to expect a response to an inquiry from a communication vehicle that the business provided to accept such inquiries. The ones that need to examine your question and find a solution are the business owners, not me. I'm just a customer...apparently one with lofty expectations according to some here

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
As a responder to web inquiries from a company website, I can tell you that we inform folks ON THE SITE and in the Thanks For Writing window that, if they require immediate assistance, they should call us at the number provided.
Ditto, a message that's especially important if we've shipped an order before reading an email sent to us after the order was submitted wanting some modification before shipping.

But, we offer customers, email, live chat, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and no matter how the customer comes to us, the customer gets a reply, almost always within one business day. Simply ignoring a customer inquiry is not merely rude, but destructive to the brand IMO.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 03-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post

Amy, it is frustrating but the point of my OP was "why offer a contact form/address if you're going to ignore it?" It honestly just puzzles me that a business would just ignore the contacts generated.

I didn't specifically address your OP, forgive me, but I will now.

I believe web-based contact forms exist because it is one of the ways that some customers DO like to communicate with suppliers.

For all the reasons so far offered about why a web inquiry might not be answered promptly, I don't think any one suggested an intentional choice by the business owner to ignore an inquiry.

Sure I suppose that could happen, and I can guess that business won't be around for the long term.

But, again you ask, why offer contact from the web in the first place? As said above, in part I believe it is because it is one of the ways that some customers DO like to communicate with a business.

When you go to a website, are you influenced by the design and functionality of the site? Do you form an impression about the size of the company based on the website? Does the ease of navigating the website inform your expectations of the transaction you hope to have?

I suspect you might say 'yes' to all the above. That leads to my other belief that another reason is the company's website designer intentionally creating a perception of the business that they want to be in the eyes of the visiting customer. Most businesses have competition who also have websites and contact forms, and it's not unusual to see what i call "me-too"s pop up. In other words, hey prospect buyer, look at my site we've got that contact form too, !!!

As a last thought, at my office, we don't use email for time sensitive matters. We do often send an email as a heads up that we're going to call shortly about something or other and will summarize the topic so the other can be prepared.

Hope this helps to clarify my thinking on this topic.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-29-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Why should this make any difference, Amy? Regardless of whether the employee (or business owner) is answering a phone call, responding to an email or web inquiry, or answering questions of an in-person customer, the amount of time needed to adequately answer the query (eg. checking stock, current price, weight, shipping concerns, etc.) should be close to the same.

In fact, I would suggest that being able to do this work without having the customer waiting, in-person or on the phone, would be a net benefit to a business since the inquiry and response can be done in "down time" when time demands are not as critical.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion